PDA

View Full Version : First Seasoning question!

Derek
03-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Ok, I'm officially stumped.

I may have an opportunity today to actually season my smoker for it's first time run.

The weather is suppose to cooperate with me ( hopeful ) and I will be in seventh heaven.

I don't know which one of these great flavors I want to use for my first burn & my first seasoning session?

What do you guys think be the right choice? I got Cherry, Apple and mesquite wood for the choices.

I was thinking about filling the wood hopper up with all three flavors for the first seasoning, Is that a good idea?

Here's the wood I've chosen to use for my smoking journey.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/DSC00203/807671768_T5QLa-L.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/DSC00203/807671768_T5QLa-L.jpgp

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Congratulations on the new smoker.

Seasoning, in my opinion, is more baking Crisco or the splatter of a fatty on the bare metal rather than getting smoke on there.

I would just go with whatever wood smells the best to you.

What smoker are you going to season?

Derek
03-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Seasoning, in my opinion, is more baking Crisco or the splatter of a fatty on the bare metal rather than getting smoke on there.

Chips aren't going to give you a long period of smoke anyway, so I would just go with whatever wood smells the best to you.

What smoker are you going to season?I'm actually going to smoke with this baby, I've purchased her in January as my birthday prez.

It's a electric mes smoker and it says at the end of 2 hours and 45 minutes to add the wood chips.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/MG5924CR2/758223976_9EW5c-L.jpg

&

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/MG5923CR2/758223907_QWhYf-L.jpg

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 07:16 AM
I probably gave you bum advice. I don't know anything about that smoker.

Do they say you need to season it?

blues_n_cues
03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
imho. a porkbutt & a couple fatties w/ the cherry.

Derek
03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I probably gave you bum advice. I don't know anything about that smoker.

Do they say you need to season it?It does say that Hesmelllikesmoke, and its only on the last hour you add the wood according to the directions,

Yeah I know a mes is not a real smoker from today's standards but it will teach me the tricks of the trade,

And I can go on from there.

Derek
03-11-2010, 07:27 AM
imho. a porkbutt & a couple fatties w/ the cherry.Dude, get out of my head, That's what I was going to do once I have a full day of sun.

EatonHoggBBQ
03-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Derek, you're in Traverse City and had to buy cherry wood chips? :eek: :biggrin:
Anyway have fun with the new smoker.

Derek
03-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Derek, you're in Traverse City and had to buy cherry wood chips? :eek: :biggrin:
Anyway have fun with the new smoker.Thanks Eaton, but you know what man? I really like the cherry wood smell, and I like the cherry wood look and flavor of it.

Yes I know I'm in Traverse city and it's cool.

I just can't wait to smell my first wood smell from my own smoker

( Is that a little weird that I want to smell my first wood burning session? )

btcg
03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Ok, I'm officially stumped.

I may have an opportunity today to actually season my smoker for it's first time run.

The weather is suppose to cooperate with me ( hopeful ) and I will be in seventh heaven.

I don't know which one of these great flavors I want to use for my first burn & my first seasoning session?

What do you guys think be the right choice? I got Cherry, Apple and mesquite wood for the choices.

I was thinking about filling the wood hopper up with all three flavors for the first seasoning, Is that a good idea?

Here's the wood I've chosen to use for my smoking journey.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/DSC00203/807671768_T5QLa-L.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Smoking-Dees-Smokin-Pics/DSC00203/807671768_T5QLa-L.jpgp

My smoker calls for seasoning by smoking first, too. Use the cheapest or most abundant chips you have.

Derek
03-11-2010, 08:11 AM
My smoker calls for seasoning by smoking first, too. Use the cheapest or most abundant chips you have.That would be the apple wood, I really don't like the flavor of apple wood smoke that well but my folks and other kin does.

So I purchased all the flavors everyone likes and I'll end up buying more over the summer months.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

deguerre
03-11-2010, 08:29 AM
It does say that Hesmelllikesmoke, and its only on the last hour you add the wood according to the directions,

Yeah I know a mes is not a real smoker from today's standards but it will teach me the tricks of the trade,

Just because the fuel source is not wood or coal doesn't mean you can't make good food. It's the cook! Not the cooker. I too bought something to learn on (A GOSM) and also plan to get a coal/wood something in the future but right now I'm happy. :biggrin:
BTW, I almost got a masterbuilt. ;)

btcg
03-11-2010, 08:37 AM
That would be the apple wood, I really don't like the flavor of apple wood smoke that well but my folks and other kin does.

So I purchased all the flavors everyone likes and I'll end up buying more over the summer months.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Remember, you're just prepping the smoker. This doesn't mean that every smoke will have an applewood taste.

You will get better results than most: electric smoking is cleaner, and allows you to do more uninterrupted smoking than a charcoal/wood smoker. Remember, if you're lookin, you ain't cookin.

I bought the Bradley original smoker, I can stack those little hockey pucks, and smoke for 8 hours without having to add more. And when I add more, it's from the outside, They don't burn to ash, so it's a cleaner burn.

I think most here enjoy the ceremony of cooking and tending the fire as much as the food. Like you, I chose taste over process. There's still enough process using our cookers to have fun, IMO.

Derek
03-11-2010, 08:52 AM
It does say that Hesmelllikesmoke, and its only on the last hour you add the wood according to the directions,

Just because the fuel source is not wood or coal doesn't mean you can't make good food. It's the cook! Not the cooker. I too bought something to learn on (A GOSM) and also plan to get a coal/wood something in the future but right now I'm happy. :biggrin:
BTW, I almost got a masterbuilt. ;)

Remember, you're just prepping the smoker. This doesn't mean that every smoke will have an applewood taste.

You will get better results than most: electric smoking is cleaner, and allows you to do more uninterrupted smoking than a charcoal/wood smoker. Remember, if you're lookin, you ain't cookin.

I bought the Bradley original smoker, I can stack those little hockey pucks, and smoke for 8 hours without having to add more. And when I add more, it's from the outside, They don't burn to ash, so it's a cleaner burn.

I think most here enjoy the ceremony of cooking and tending the fire as much as the food. Like you, I chose taste over process. There's still enough process using our cookers to have fun, IMO.Thanks guys, I'll remember the advice.

Man I cannot wait for the first burn.

btcg
03-11-2010, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=deguerre;1211669]

Thanks guys, I'll remember the advice.

Man I cannot wait for the first burn.

I'm seasoning the Bradley today, too. Here in Maryland, it's been in the 60's this past week, and the 24-28 inches of snow we had a few weeks ago is nearly all gone. I bought a pork butt yesterday at a place called Bottom Dollar, and I plan on smoking it overnight and through tomorrow: my 1st with the Bradley.

Good luck on your 1st cook!

early mornin' smokin'
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
id light up a chimney of oak chunks, close it up and let it roll, about 325, inside covered in crisco....oooo wait, that wouldnt work....fire it up without wood, let it get nice and hot to burn off any oils or anything nasty on the inside. Honestly, put it on as high as it will go and let it run for a couple hours, than bring it down to a reasonable temp, throw some chips in there, and get it dirty, preferably loaded up with butts, they're nice and messy to get it dirty.

Nick@ParkAQ
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I say burn in today, turn in tomorrow. I don't matter what the first ride is. the more you smoke the better you'll get so get to practicing and send pics.
Park it! Grill it! Eat it!

wheelterrapin
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Lay a pound or two of raw bacon slices on the racks and fire that thing up and let the fat seal the pores oif the smoker.

I would just go with whatever wood smells the best to you.

What smoker are you going to season?