PDA

View Full Version : Is my Family Normal?

kylersk
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Either my Cooking aint that good or they are telling the truth, but there are times where they'd rather have me cook chicken in the oven, instead of on the egg. They complain about getting sick of the 'smoke' flavor.

suprfast
03-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Either my Cooking aint that good or they are telling the truth, but there are times where they'd rather have me cook chicken in the oven, instead of on the egg. They complain about getting sick of the 'smoke' flavor.

Im not entirely sold on smoked chicken either. Its great on beef, pork, lamb, but not poultry. To each their own taste buds though. Try a higher temp on chicken or use a new wood/charcoal. Mix it up, make them want more again

Paulmark
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe it's a comfort food sort of thing, I rather have some of my mom's cooking than bbq at times.

landarc
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I would say that there is such a think as too much smoked meat, for instance, after a competition of large cook, I can not want 'que for quite a well. That being said, and I say this in all kindness, it could be your cooking. Maybe change up some things, or decrease the amount of smoke, just give them a different flavor.

SmokinAussie
03-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Maybe it's a comfort food sort of thing, I rather have some of my mom's cooking than bbq at times.

Straight to the penalty box with you!!!! Sacrelidge! :cool:

btcg
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM

My wife says the same thing.

Westexbbq
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Chicken can be a veritable smoke sponge so keep that in mind when doing chicken;
maybe dial back a bit on the smoke and see if that helps.

suprfast
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Chicken can be a veritable smoke sponge so keep that in mind when doing chicken;
maybe dial back a bit on the smoke and see if that helps.

Good im not the only one that thought this. Gonna do some chicken today with bone lickin sauce. Cross my fingers

Gore
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
It is completely personal preference. I have some family members who love the smoke and others who don't. I can't get enough of it myself, but have to tone it down for others.

Big Poppa
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
I usually when cooking on ceramic really let the coals settle in and that usually quiets her!

sdb25
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
You know, it's never too late to get rid of that wife and start a new family...

just sayin'

Midnight Smoke
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Get a Weber Kettle and Grill it! :wink: I never have chicken that is too smokey from it.

smoken don
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Get a Weber Kettle and Grill it! :wink: I never have chicken that is too smokey from it.

Wife and I both like grilled Chicken over smoked every time.

Arlin_MacRae
03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
It's not abnormal, I'm sorry to say. You either have to back away from the pit some weeks or 'fool' them by cooking different stuff. Try some veggies, fish, etc., to break up the 'monotony'. It sucks, I know...

Rick's Tropical Delight
03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
how are you cooking the chicken?

kylersk
03-10-2010, 07:42 PM
It's not just chicken. I cook just about anything and everything on the egg. Any chance I can get, I fire it up. I guess it's not so much when I grill, but when I go on a smoking spree. Smoke up a pork butt, then ribs, then fatty's, ect..... Maybe I just need to mix it up a bit.

Gowan
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Anything can get to be too much if you eat it over and over.

Try mixing up your smoke woods, or just prep two birds and throw one in the oven for the girls.

Porchpup
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
You know, it's never too late to get rid of that wife and start a new family...

just sayin'
:lol::lol::lol:

bigabyte
03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I would eat smoked/grilled food every meal if the family would let me, but they prefer some variety. Sometimes I like having "normal" food too.

Gore
03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I would eat smoked/grilled food every meal if the family would let me, but they prefer some variety. Sometimes I like having "normal" food too.

I could eat smoked/grilled food for every meal. Hmmmm, I think I did that for a good part of college actually. :rolleyes:
I grew up thinking "normal" food was smoked/grilled.

bigabyte
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I could eat smoked/grilled food for every meal. Hmmmm, I think I did that for a good part of college actually. :rolleyes:
I grew up thinking "normal" food was smoked/grilled.
My parents loved smoked/grilled foods and we ate it a LOT when I grew up, that's why I could eat it every meal (no kidding). I find it more convenient than any other form of cooking, and I'm good at it, so why not? It drives me nuts when I hear "not steaks again". WTF? they're great steaks, they even rave about them, but...they get tired of having that stuff all the time. Weird people.

JiveTurkey
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Yea I'm not a smoked chicken fan either. I make it on occasion but the skin is rubbery and sometimes the smoke overtakes the chicken flavor. 90% of the time I just grill it at really high heat, the hotter the better, and work that grill like a pro!

JiveTurkey
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
It drives me nuts when I hear "not steaks again". WTF? they're great steaks, they even rave about them, but...they get tired of having that stuff all the time. Weird people.

I know how they feel. My dad used to work at the local grocery store and would always get marked down meat from the butchers. We would eat steak 4-5 nights a week sometimes and as much as I know there are starving people in the world I got really tired of it. When I first moved out on my own I didn't bbq a steak (correction: grill a steak) for a loooooong time. My dad messed me up man with all those steaks. Poor me. LOL!

BRBBQ
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Around here it's a woman thing:|

baldbill
03-11-2010, 03:43 AM
it is best to keep the wife happy,,,send me the egg!!

4TheLoveofBrisket
03-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Im not entirely sold on smoked chicken either. Its great on beef, pork, lamb, but not poultry. To each their own taste buds though. Try a higher temp on chicken or use a new wood/charcoal. Mix it up, make them want more again

I'm with you on the smoked chicken too. I prefer to grill it at higher heat, with wood of course. I personally find the smoke flavor to be more pronounced this way. Perhaps it's a combination of the smoke and the grease hitting the fire that gives it this flavor? :?:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 06:49 AM
I have good luck cooking with lump only when everyone starts rebelling against too much smoked food.

Desert Dweller
03-11-2010, 06:54 AM
My wife says the same thing.
So did mine. We're divorced now.

Divemaster
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I have good luck cooking with lump only when everyone starts rebelling against too much smoked food.
That was the cure that I found as well....

thomasjurisd
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Are they all pregnant? My pregnant wife loves my BBQ turkey/chicken.....but all of a sudden now that she's pregnant the smell of smoked poultry makes her sick to her stomach...

BBQchef33
03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
my familysgot like that years ago... tired of the smoke flavor.. no mattter how mild.

So I started cooking at higher temps for them... more of a wood roasting thing.

do the chickens at 325-350. Cooks faster and the family loves it on the egg. Same with ribs, (300)..

its a simple concept, higher temps gives less time absorbing smoke(meat @ < 140*).. and u get to eat sooner. :)

Solidkick
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Have you tried apple or pecan? Maybe you are using too heavy of a smoke wood (mesquite, I hate mesquite).
If you are using lump, try cooking without any additional wood and see if they like that.

Smoke & Beers
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
My wife is the same...kids not so much.
I've been condemned to smoking with apple and cherry wood for the most part. I honestly think my wife is a little weird...claims she doesn't like ribs...any of them...not mine, not her mom's boiled ribs...none.
She does like my butts and brisket though...but won't eat much...says the smoke upsets her stomach.
But she loved the turkey I smoked at Thanksgiving...go figure??? I've never smoked chicken for her...have always high heat grilled it.

twisterbret
03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
When I first started I was killing the family and myself with way to much Hickory. It's all you can get around here in NJ. I switched to apple and things are much better. As for chicken, we all prefer cooked beer can style at 350 on the kettle. A nice light smoke flavor. The wife uses the leftover for Chicken noodle soup.
Sometimes I have to plead my case to Grill and BBQ. It's not that end result that's bad, everyone likes or loves it. I guess they get tired of the same stuff.

know one gets tired of ABT's :)

SmokinAussie
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Last week I did 3 whole chickens on the COS. Used lump only, but the chicken had been brined overnight too, and had a lot of stuffing also. Smoked at 250F they came out absolutely tender and very little smoke flavour.

Seems to mirror what a lot of posts here say. Keep the wood out of it, and it makes it OK. Just one other thing though, can be the way you're smoking. In case no-one has said this yet, you've just got to keep the exhaust wide open. With chicken in particular, it does soak up the smoke, and if you're burning even just the slightest bit dirty, the chicken will soak up the creosote and make it taste really bad. Took me 2 years to learn that, so I'm telling everyone I can.

Cheers!

Bill