PDA

View Full Version : Maverick ET-7 thermometer: Crappy wireless range.

Rodney
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey all-

I've got a Maverick ET-7 dual-probe thermometer, and once I figured out the somewhat cryptic button operation scheme, I really like it a lot. However, its wireless transmission range is dismal (20' or so, through a sliding glass door). Anyone else experience this? It's also lame that it gives you no indication that you've gone out of range... the temperature readout just stops changing.

Thanks!

-Rodney

deguerre
03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
There are range problems with the Maverick (ET-73) but fortunately it does not effect me. The farthest away I get in my house is still within it's range so...I'm not sure there is a fix but others will chime in.

MattTee
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I noticed with a fresh set of batteries the range is OK, not great but OK. I can get about one decent cook off a fresh set of batteries, then it goes downhill. It's also helpful to set the transmitter up on the little wire stand if you have it, or something comparable, and try to get the receiver vertical as well.

The BBQ QB
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
If you're inclined, try this Rodney,

http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/

Mike D

ams14
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I loved mine for the first few months, then it completely crapped out and started giving erroneous temp readings, even with all fresh batteries. Ended up just throwing it on the shelf (though i wonder if i could exchange it... hmmm...)

My range was always good though, 50+ feet.

bigabyte
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I only got about 25 feet with mine through a sliding glass door as well, and even then it would lose signal a few times during the cooing session.

Arlin_MacRae
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Deja vu Mod - haven't I seen this thread before? Hmm.

My Mav has no range troubles, but I'm not sure of the model number. It's a single probe design.

bigabyte
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Now that yo mention it, i do remember having much bette range with my old single probe Mavericks which I got rid of years ago when I upgraded to the super-duper high-priced dual probe ones. The dual probe ones have to be within 1 foot of my sliding glass door or else they lose signal, and my cookers are only just over 20 feet away from the door. I have had the same range with 4 different ET-73's so it's not like it's one unit that's bad.

Rodney
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
If you're inclined, try this Rodney,

http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/

Mike D

We're thinking the same thing... I found this:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=571

Gonna have to crack 'er open and see what we can do... Bwahahaha... I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

If I could put my thermometer on my kitchen countertop, I'd be a happy man!!! (~40 feet)

-r

EDIT: In looking closer at the link you posted, there's a great piece of info there for those who want to hack on their electronic devices: You can enter a product's FCC ID on FCC's website and a lot of the time circuit diagrams will be posted there. For example, based on the schematic for the ET-73 that was linked to on the instructables site, I was able to determine that the probes for the ET-7/ET-73 are thermistor-based and not thermocouple-based. I was thinking about playing around with some temperature sensing projects, and now I know that the $10 replacement probe for this thermometer is a very good, ruggedized solution. :icon_cool

Thanks for the link!

caliking
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I have had the et-7 for 3 years now. It has seen moderate use and has held up well. Just changed the batteries for the first time last weekend. The range is also pretty good- works great on the 2nd floor of our townhouse.

There is a mod to boost the range on the et-7. I think you might have to sign up for the site to view the link http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13462.msg157301#msg157301 (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13462.msg157301#msg157301)

I have not tried this mod yet so can't speak from experience. Another option is to try and contact the company. A number of posts have said that their customer service is good (again, I don't have first-hand experience to speak from)

stiffy
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
We're thinking the same thing... I found this:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=571

Gonna have to crack 'er open and see what we can do... Bwahahaha... I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

If I could put my thermometer on my kitchen countertop, I'd be a happy man!!! (~40 feet)

-r
I am really interested in your outcome, I want a thermometer with these features but wish it would be of higher quality, let me know if you get better reception with this maybe you could do another!??:lol:

Finney
03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
First, make sure you are turning them on in the proper order.

One day when you aren't planning to use them for cooking, turn them on and let them sit beside each other for a couple of hours. I was told by someone at Maverick that sometimes the sync isn't completely finished at the factory (I don't know whether this is ture or not). I've done this with mine and I've had pretty good luck with them. I actually do what I said above, then I move them about 10' apart for a couple hours, then 20+ feet apart for a couple of hours.

Cast Iron Chef
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Mine easily goes 25' through glass french doors. As he said above I do find that you need to turn on the receiver then the sending unit. This seems to make the sync better.

rabeb25
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
I did the antenna mod on both of my units. That includes the temperature probe unit, and the receiver. They work great now and can be about 100ft away on my night stand as I sleep.

Rodney
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I did the antenna mod on both of my units. That includes the temperature probe unit, and the receiver. They work great now and can be about 100ft away on my night stand as I sleep.

Right on! Yeah, I'll start with my receiver and see where that goes. I'll likely end up buying an ET-73 at some point, so I can remotely monitor smoker temps on long cooks. The ET-7 has two probes but only alarms based on exceeding a maximum temperature, not falling below a minimum temperature, so I can't use it for smoker temp.

Thanks everyone!

Gore
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
One day when you aren't planning to use them for cooking, turn them on and let them sit beside each other for a couple of hours. I was told by someone at Maverick that sometimes the sync isn't completely finished at the factory (I don't know whether this is ture or not). I've done this with mine and I've had pretty good luck with them. I actually do what I said above, then I move them about 10' apart for a couple hours, then 20+ feet apart for a couple of hours.

I have the ET-7, mainly because the reviews I read suggested the range was a bit better on this model. I still only get about 10' though. Can you elaborate about this procedure? It seems to me these would either be synced or not synced. You're saying following this procedure once will increase the future range? I don't understand it, but it is certainly worth a try.

Finney
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I have the ET-7, mainly because the reviews I read suggested the range was a bit better on this model. I still only get about 10' though. Can you elaborate about this procedure? It seems to me these would either be synced or not synced. You're saying following this procedure once will increase the future range? I don't understand it, but it is certainly worth a try.

I don't know how much it really works but I have done it with the ones I have and haven't had any major issues with them. What the person from Maverick told me was that there was some recognition process they do at the factory with the units and sometimes a few units get shut off before all the sync-ing is finished. Then they suggested that I (or anyone else that has a recurring loss of signal) turn the units on (in the proper order) and let them "get to know each other" for a couple of hours. I just took if a little further and kept moving mine further apart. I guess that was sort of just to see if they would lose contact. Its worked for me, but I might have had units that had a good range anyway.

Rodney
03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't know how much it really works but I have done it with the ones I have and haven't had any major issues with them. What the person from Maverick told me was that there was some recognition process they do at the factory with the units and sometimes a few units get shut off before all the sync-ing is finished. Then they suggested that I (or anyone else that has a recurring loss of signal) turn the units on (in the proper order) and let them "get to know each other" for a couple of hours. I just took if a little further and kept moving mine further apart. I guess that was sort of just to see if they would lose contact. Its worked for me, but I might have had units that had a good range anyway.

Maybe I'll get in touch with them and ask about this. Generally speaking, wireless devices either sync or don't sync, based on either a pre-determined, hard-wired match or a "pairing" process (i.e. bluetooth, and the way these thermometers work). Unless the transmitter is throttling RF strength based on perceived range in order to save energy (which I don't think it's smart enough to do), I'd be surprised if there's a variable quality aspect to synchronization.

Adding an antenna wire will definitely increase range in a significant way, unless you're way off on the length.

-r

The BBQ QB
03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
This might be what Finney was referring to....It is an excerpt from the users manual. It's from the ET73, but no reason for the ET7 to be any different.

Before first use, you’ll need to set the receiver to register the radio frequency signal
from the transmitter. This is called the “registration procedure”.

1. Plug the stainless steel probe sensors into the plug-in jacks on the transmitter
matching the FOOD and SMOKER markings.

2. Using the ON/OFF switches, first turn on the receiver (ON/OFF switch at back) (display shows “- - - “ blinking). Then turn on the transmitter (ON/OFF switch inside battery compartment – which can be open using a coin).

3. The registration procedure is complete when the receiver beeps and the LCD displays the current temperatures for both smoker and food (provided both probes are inserted)

If the registration procedure fails, the readings will show “- - - “ steady. Use ON/OFF switch to reset the receiver, and press the TX button (located on the rear of the transmitter) and hold for 2 seconds. This needs to be done within 60 seconds of turning the receiver on in order for the receiver to register the signal from the transmitter. Once TX is released. It will take several seconds for the receiver to register. If you don’t hear a beep within 5-10 seconds, press and hold TX again.

It sounds like the receiver is only in "discover mode" for 60 seconds after which it won't be available to the TX'r until another power cycle.

Mike D

Gore
03-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Maybe I'll get in touch with them and ask about this. Generally speaking, wireless devices either sync or don't sync, based on either a pre-determined, hard-wired match or a "pairing" process (i.e. bluetooth, and the way these thermometers work). Unless the transmitter is throttling RF strength based on perceived range in order to save energy (which I don't think it's smart enough to do), I'd be surprised if there's a variable quality aspect to synchronization.

Adding an antenna wire will definitely increase range in a significant way, unless you're way off on the length.

-r

This is what I thought, but I'm giving it a try to see what happen. Figure it doesn't cost me anything and there's a great deal of upside!

I am ok with 10', but 20' would be really nice. I don't need any more. As it is the signal comes and goes.

SirPorkaLot
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
There must have been a bad batch of ET-7s. I had the exact same problem with mine that I got for Christmas. It would work fine up to 10-15' out, then didn;t work at all further out than that.

I contacted Maverick customer service, and they said to send the unit back to them
I did so, and within a week they sent the the ET-73 back free of charge.

If it is not working, contact them, ,they will hook you up.

My ET-73 works fine now from my smoker (30' from the back door) all the way the other side of the house, and upstairs.

Rodney
03-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I contacted Maverick customer service, and they said to send the unit back to them
I did so, and within a week they sent the the ET-73 back free of charge.

If it is not working, contact them, ,they will hook you up.

Wow... there's an option...

Ya know, it's sad, but I've basically (subconsciously) decided that all of these electronic gadgets are made in China by companies that deal strictly in volume and basically make no guarantees, so it doesn't even occur to me to contact a company when their product doesn't work as advertised. I consider it par for the course. It really shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't be shocked that a company would stand behind their product like that, but I am! :shock::roll:

Gore
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks Finney!!!

Last night I turned them on and left them (transmitter and receiver) next to each other for about three hours before turning them off. I just got back from work and turned them both on. I have the transmitter outside by the grill and the receiver on the other end of the house, a good 20' further than I'd ever had a signal before and I'm reading fine. I'm probably 50' out and through old-construction walls. Before it would fade in and out, from 10' away. I don't know if it will fade or not, but already this appears to be improved!

Rodney
03-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks Finney!!!

Last night I turned them on and left them (transmitter and receiver) next to each other for about three hours before turning them off. I just got back from work and turned them both on. I have the transmitter outside by the grill and the receiver on the other end of the house, a good 20' further than I'd ever had a signal before and I'm reading fine. I'm probably 50' out and through old-construction walls. Before it would fade in and out, from 10' away. I don't know if it will fade or not, but already this appears to be improved!

Wow... I will definitely give it a try! Right now I can only make it to the left side of my mantle. Right side, here we come!!! LOL

Gore
03-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow... I will definitely give it a try! Right now I can only make it to the left side of my mantle. Right side, here we come!!! LOL

I may have spoken too soon. After some 5 or so hours, I'd noticed the signal was lost and had to move the thermo about 15' away to get a signal again. It could have just been an atmospheric fluke. It may be a little better than it was, but in this experiment the results are obscured by the noise. Let me know if you have better luck -- or anyone for that matter! I can't say anything definitive.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I may have spoken too soon. After some 5 or so hours, I'd noticed the signal was lost and had to move the thermo about 15' away to get a signal again. It could have just been an atmospheric fluke. It may be a little better than it was, but in this experiment the results are obscured by the noise. Let me know if you have better luck -- or anyone for that matter! I can't say anything definitive.

Dang, I had my ET-73 get acquainted with itself today but haven't had a chance to check the range out yet.

I'm not gonna go back and remove my thank you from your last post on this Gore, but you can consider yourself unthanked. :mrgreen:

Gore
03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Dang, I had my ET-73 get acquainted with itself today but haven't had a chance to check the range out yet.

I'm not gonna go back and remove my thank you from your last post on this Gore, but you can consider yourself unthanked. :mrgreen:

Please check the range and see what you get! I really can't say with mine. It definitely was better than I had before, but I'd only used it once before.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Please check the range and see what you get! I really can't say with mine. It definitely was better than I had before, but I'd only used it once before.

I will do it tomorrow and report back. Would really be great if it works.

JD McGee
03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Just used my ET-7 this morning for a work gig...no luck getting a signal inside the building...had to walk outside to check the pit every hour or so. BTW..it transmits great through canopy walls...:cool:

gtsum
03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but there is a very simple how to on super charging the maverick to get much better range. Google it and u should see it on in structibles.com. it is a simple mod that greatly increases the range

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but there is a very simple how to on super charging the maverick to get much better range. Google it and u should see it on in structibles.com. it is a simple mod that greatly increases the range

i tried to find it on instuctibles.com and couldn't find it. Can you provide a link?

hammonr
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...Q-Thermometer/ (http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/)

gtsum
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
here ya go:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
here ya go:

Thanks also.

Has anyone here actually made this mod?

Rodney
03-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks also.

I'll be doing it to my ET-73 this weekend (or maybe tomorrow night...) I'll report my findings here.

-r

gtsum
03-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks also.

I did it and it does work better, although I have not used it much since I got my cyberq

WabbitSwayer
03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Oh man this mod rocks!!!!! I used to put the smoker on my back deck and I would lose reception if I took the receiver into my bedroom (same level, also in the back where the deck is-less than 20 feet from the transmitter/smoker). I put an antenna on both the receiver and transmitter as per the directions. To test it, I have the transmitter in my shed, which is atleast 30 feet from my house and took the receiver into my bedroom. I am getting great reception! I always wanted to be able to put my smoker in the shed so I could Q in the rain. With these mods I am able to now do that! With the mod I am a good 40-50 feet away through several house walls and getting reception! :thumb:

gtsum
03-13-2010, 11:44 AM
agreed...I did another one last night and got great reception on the second level of the house, whereas before it would drop the signal in the office on the first floor (30 feet away) and would never hold the signal with the receiver upstairs...it is a very simple mod and only takes 10 minutes or so...good stuff!

bobaftt
05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I would love to do the mod but the soldering is a problem. Anybody out there want to help a brother out and solder mine for me?

puddle jumper
12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
" I would love to do the mod but the soldering is a problem. Anybody out there want to help a brother out and solder mine for me?"

I know this is a old post but Ive got one on the way and im going to do the mod if it works out for me I will give you a shout and will do yours for you also..
Thanks for all the info on this guys...
John " PJ "

mikeTRON
12-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I did the mod, and I am(well WAS) a certified A.S.E Master technician. The range is still 2 feet. I couldn't be more irritated with a purchase. IF the thing had ANY range at all I would actually like them but they don't even communicate 6 feet away IN LINE OF SIGHT!!

The MODs are very easy though. Hopefully it works out for you!

Bill-Chicago
12-20-2010, 07:41 AM
. IF the thing had ANY range at all I would actually like them but they don't even communicate 6 feet away IN LINE OF SIGHT!!

This is funny.

I threw mine out after about the 6th use when it didnt even get 6 feet line of sight readings.

Hell, it would cut down to 3 feet if the wind blew.

Every time someone wants to buy me a new thermometer for Christmas/Birthday present, I point them to the Nu Temp site and tell them just to get me a couple more probes.

Original receiver and transmitters been going non stop for years with a solid 50+ foot range including through the doors/windows to the yard and I fry out a probe about every 16 months or so.

Good luck with your mods, but as Mike Tron noted, might not be worth your time.

Gore
12-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Yes, I have one of these POS. Sometimes I get as much as 6 feet with it, but normally I set up the receiver right next to the transmitter and face the display toward my kitchen window. I then use something like these to read the display:

http://www.brunton.com/images/catalog/Echo_825_1025.jpg

With them I get a range of about 15-20 feet. I have been thoroughly unimpressed by the Maverick line. I also received one of their $99 "instant read" thermometers which took about 5 times as long to get a reading as my $15 Taylor thermometer. I sent that back. Of course, the restocking fee and postage could've bought me another Taylor. :mad2: I just can't say enough good things about the Maverick line.

Bill-Chicago
12-20-2010, 08:04 AM
I just can't say enough good things about the Maverick line.

That hit the spot this morning Gore.

Thanks for the morning laugh.

Igotgas
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks also.

I made the mod on my et 73 and it made a world of difference. I can now have it next to my nightstand for those all night cooks. Thats about 100 feet and four walls from my smoker :thumb:

Dr_KY
12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Very strange results you guys are having. I set it up in the back yard and get accurate reading from the pub garden while necking a few ciders. I'm guessing 50-60 yards.

As for the mod that has been mentioned I did a little hack on a bluetooth dongle that's supposed to be 100 yards out the box . I would recommend that rather then stop half way go out and get say a 9 DBI omnidirectional magnetic antenna and add some serious range.

Something like this would work great.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omni-Directional-2-4GHz-9dBi-SMA-Antenna-Magnetic-Plate-/400181932397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2cb3b16d

I can open up my dongle and take photos if any one wants them.

Mine looks something like this now and I don't see wht the same procedure wouldn't work on ET

Not my actual photograph but same dongle

http://www.sans.edu/resources/images/bluetooth1.jpg

The photo is linked form here..
http://www.sans.edu/resources/securitylab/bluetooth.php

Bill-Chicago
12-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I can open up my dongle and take photos if any one wants them.

Not touching this one.

Dr_KY
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Not touching this one.

Come on it wont bite ya.

The Grill Sergeant
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Rodney

I've had an ET-7 for several months now and encountered the same problems. The solution, for me, was to buy some of those Eveready Lithium batteries. I'm satisfied with the results.