PDA

View Full Version : "Packin" for a Beautiful Weekend

tommykendall
04-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Supposed to be 74, sunny and calm tomorrow. 77 on Sunday. Have a 12# packer almost thawed. I'll DP it later today, rub it at 5am tomorrow and toss it on at 6am. Also plan on some KC spares, Colt's wings, and TX hotlinks. Making myself hungry already. Whatcha got going this weekend?

jt
04-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Couple of roasts and a sausage log goin' in tomorrow. Supposed to be 85 here!

brdbbq
04-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Supposed to be 74, sunny and calm tomorrow. 77 on Sunday. Have a 12# packer almost thawed. I'll DP it later today, rub it at 5am tomorrow and toss it on at 6am. Also plan on some KC spares, Colt's wings, and TX hotlinks. Making myself hungry already. Whatcha got going this weekend?

What type of TX Hotlink ?

tommykendall
04-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Fark if I know.

brdbbq
04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Fark if I know.

I have a suggetsion then. :twisted:

parrothead
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
I'll probably to some tutkey tits, and some sausage logs. Not sure what else though

kcquer
04-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Really wanted to go fishin' this week end but the yard needs mowed, fish tank needs cleaned and got some work stuff to finish up so looks like no trip to the pond. All that stuff to keep me around the house sounds like a grade a excuse to fire up the cooker. Don't know what, but the main course will be beef, packer, flat, chuck something. Sausage log for sure and some more of those Earl Cambell Hot Links (thanks jorge).

Bill-Chicago
04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I'll just be grilling.

boobs in Dales last night.

Gonna have some pork swirls tonight (seasoned pork, with smoked beef, wrapped in bacon)

Its the first Friday of MEAT in 7 weeks. YEAH!

kcquer
04-17-2004, 07:22 AM
I have 2 briskets and 2 sausage logs in and cookin'. Its gonna be a windy but beautiful 80 here in the Heartland today. Thoroughly TK'd the 2 briskets (one 10.6#, one 11#), rubbed 'em good and have them in the cooker fat side down (per article in newsletter bro. kick sent (thanks)) and am making it my days mission to keep the fire low, low, low. Low enough not to boil the marinade and natural juices out. Put them on at 6am. Told the OL they would be done between 4p and 9p. "That's kinda late for dinner isn't it." Responded, "if they aren't done til 9 its gonna be some good ****" Here's hoping they aint done til 9.

rusold
04-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Some spares - going to try and really follow the destructions this time
Jimmy Dean log - really helps my wife with Adkins
A small duck - practice for the gumbo for the Coon Ass Festival

R

jt
04-17-2004, 03:18 PM
2 rump roasts, a sausage log (Farmland Hot) and some sausage links my neighbor gave me from his last hog butchering. Put everything on at 9:30 and held temp at 200. Links came off at 11 - tasted alright but nothing spectacular - i think that's just what they were. Sausage log came off at 12 when it read 170 - awesome. This stuff is too hot for sausage gravy but tastes great this way!

here's where it gets screwy. I foiled both rump roasts at 1:45 - the big one - the big one (4#?) was at 170 and the little one (2-3#?) was 157. I just now put the big one in the cooler cuz it was at 200 and the little one is still at 190 and feels tough. Both are from the same cow. I bought a side of beef from the neighbor last fall. Looking forward to eating the big one - not sure about the small one!

chad
04-17-2004, 07:12 PM
We're having great weather but I'm having a busy weekend.

Hauled the RV trailer to the driveway to get it cleaned up for next weekend - heading to Hillsborough River State Park for the weekend.

I ref'd a powerlifting meet today, Saturday, down in Bradenton, FL, and had a ball. I did all three flights of bench press and then had to head back to Clearwater. Saw some great squats and benches.

Some of these guys were real good - one guy did 455 bench with no bench shirt (RAW) - impressive.

Doing a chuck roast pot roast tomorrow -- will be freezing another chuck roast for 'que. Grilled burgers for supper tonight.

badger
04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I was fortunate enough to be invited to a friends kids 1st birthday party. Not just any birthday party for a 1 year old, they are samoan and know how to throw a party! Approx 200 people were invited so that means there was a ton of BBQ'ing to do.

Ben and I manned the 3 side by side brick built in grills for 8 hours and bbq'ed 125 lbs of beef short ribs and 50 lbs of chicken tits. My first BIG cook! We could not get the food cooked fast enough, they just wanted more and more. I'm going to have to get the marinade for the chicken tits because it was GOOD!

Great people, great hawaiian dances, and great BBQ.

This is deffinitly one of the best Saturdays in a long time.

kcquer
04-18-2004, 07:36 AM
I managed to keep with the low & slow, only 1 spike over 230 in 14.5 hrs. which was easily managed by using it as an opportunity to rotate briskets and refill waterpan. Had 2 briskets going so I decided to do a little experiment. When they hit 160 I only wrapped 1. I preferred the unwrapped one but think wrap and unwrap (what a pain) would be perfect. Love the tenderness of the wrapped one but not pleased with the sogginess. Unwrap at 185 or so and give it an hour or two back in the smoker to unload some of the excess fat would be awesome.

The no foil brisket was what I would describe as competition perfect as far as doneness. Thick slice pulls apart with minimal resistance. Smoke ring was bright pink and thick as a pencil.

Brother Kick, want to thank you again for that article on brisket. I'm sold on the fat side down method and the line in it about temp where it says don't boil the juices out made so much sense, and in practice yielded damn fine results. I've stored that article and printed it and filed it, its a keeper.

tommykendall
04-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Yeah well what can I say? Mike and I cooked that 12# turd (DP and rubbed) fat side down for about 14 hours at a rock-steady 210. By the time it was finished and after an hour or so in the cooler, I was so farking 'cooked' that I brought it home and tossed in the fridge. And it still sits there unsliced. We did manage to eat some spares, wings, and brats. Also did some gravlox. Couple pics attached

rusold
04-19-2004, 05:54 PM
TK

Great looking Q - mouth will not stop watering.

And, Mike looks so much like me 15 years ago it is spooky.

R

racer_81
04-19-2004, 11:04 PM
TK

Two comments and two questions:

Comment1 -- Nice Rack :-)

Comment2 -- damned nice grub you got there.

Q1 - is that a Schaefer Mike has?

Q2 - what's a "gravlox"?

rusold
04-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Gravlox is cured Salmon sometimes smoked - I have never been able to get it to taste right - TK what is your recipe.

R

racer_81
04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
gravlox sounds like some bizarre scottish side dish for haggis.....

tommykendall
04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Comment1 -- Nice Rack

Comment2 -- damned nice grub you got there.

Q1 - is that a Schaefer Mike has?

Q2 - what's a "gravlox"?

Comment 1 - Nice rack? Yeah - Mike is hot! :mrgreen:
Comment 2 - Still haven't thouched the brisket. Might wait for my b-day this Sat.
Question 1 - Bud Man
Question 2 - Salt/maple cured, cold smoked salmon. It's come out good twice now. Check the Q-Talk threads for the recipe. A link was posted by ckphoto.

Bill-Chicago
04-23-2004, 12:12 PM
gravlox sounds like some bizarre scottish side dish for haggis.....

The Gravlox where killed off by the Cybermen in episode #183 of Doctor Who.