PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on where to find 55gal drums...

King
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Me and a buddy are going to build a couple of UDS's. We found 1 supplier on CL, but they're almost 2 hrs away (that cuts into my beer time). I'm thinking businesses might donate a couple, any suggestions?

FamilyManBBQ
03-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Got mine from a guy I know that owns a bakery...were used to hold olive oil (made some pretty flames when burning it out).

He returns these to his supplier when empty, as they do nothing but take up space. Was more than happy to give me a couple at not cost!!

CmdCtrl
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
First check craigslist in your area.
They'll be the cheapest. But you already did that...
Bakery's have been mentioned...
I found used and new barrels at Recycling centers...
Try also Barrel or Drum Refurbishing...
Worst case is ebay...

CircleW
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi King

Here is a link to a site where I found my drum hookup... it is a YellowPages type site... Just change the city to your own in the search criteria at the top of the page.

http://boston-ma.yellowusa.com/Barrels_and_Drums_%28manufacturers%29.html

Good luck!

Pyle's BBQ
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I can't remember, is O'Fallon on the eastside or westside of MO?

Here is a search I did. Maybe there is something you can use.

Crazedlist.org (http://www.crazedlist.org/index.cgi?areas=222,29,30,552&catAbbreviation=sss&query=Barrels&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&thiscat=8&submit=Search)

armor
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Do you have a dairy nearby? A lot of dairies have apple juice shipped to them in 55 gal drums. That is how I found mine. $5

King
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I can't remember, is O'Fallon on the eastside or westside of MO?

Here is a search I did. Maybe there is something you can use.

Crazedlist.org (http://www.crazedlist.org/index.cgi?areas=222,29,30,552&catAbbreviation=sss&query=Barrels&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&thiscat=8&submit=Search)

It's on the east side of Missouri, about 30 miles outside of St. Louis.

I'm heading to Ankeny tomorrow for my brother's wedding (ISU grad), I'll be passing right by you.

Thanks for the link.

King
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I feel alot better about my chances now.

You guys rock!

Capn Kev
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
They're selling food grade drums here in Denver on Craigslist for $20 each.

Smoke & Beers
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Check with any oil or lubricant suppliers...they can direct you to customers who use food grade oil....I found a nearby bakery that has more than you can shake a stick at for $5 a piece!

wayner123
03-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Check with any oil or lubricant suppliers...they can direct you to customers who use food grade oil....I found a nearby bakery that has more than you can shake a stick at for $5 a piece!

Were they open top or closed? And did they have any liner in them?

1FUNVET
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Hydraulic oil drums and motor oil drums work fine after a burn out. Check bulk oil distributors. I have also used drums that coolant (machine shop) comes in.

Good luck. :-D

Smoke & Beers
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Were they open top or closed? And did they have any liner in them?

Both opened and closed...some had the dreaded liners, some didn't. Some stored vanilla flavoring and banana extract too...so it was a hit and miss of what pleasurable aromas you would have when burning them out :mrgreen:

wayner123
03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Both opened and closed...some had the dreaded liners, some didn't. Some stored vanilla flavoring and banana extract too...so it was a hit and miss of what pleasurable aromas you would have when burning them out :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple bakeries around here, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to go about asking them for their barrels. Did you just walk up and ask them?

Smoke & Beers
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have a couple bakeries around here, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to go about asking them for their barrels. Did you just walk up and ask them?

1st I checked with the local bulk oil & lube supplier...and he gave me the name of the contact there at the bakery...said they have a trailer load of them...and he wasn't kidding. A 48' trailer stacked 4 wide and 2 high with a narrow isle down the middle :mrgreen:
The oil supplier had used oil drums (non-food grade) for $20 and they were nasty...wouldn't want to cook anything in them.

Or, you could call the bakery up and ask for whoever's in charge of disposing of their barrels. Sometimes they have a deposit on them and they have to return them...but other times they may just want to get rid of them without having to pay to have them removed.
Ask around would be the best advice I can give...

Smokin' D
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's another listing. A little more follow-up required with this list than that Yellow pages listing, but still helpful.

http://www.recyclingmarkets.net/markets/results.html?actcode=RECONDITIONER&act_prim=0&act_other=1

chikenskin
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Check the yellow pages for Drum Recyclers in your area.
We have one here in Knoxville.
They have food grade drums with lids for $15. Some have liners and some don't.
I managed to snag a closed end stainless drum for $50.

Mark
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I can give you 2. Reply to my PM