make their own BBQ sauce for comp

Rubs too

Can you use store bought or is that against the rules

woodfolks
02-24-2010, 07:52 AM
How much BBQ sauce do you bring.

monty3777
02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
You can use whatever sauce you'd like. We make our own. I should say that in our last comp we mixed our sauce with Blues Hog for an extra kick. I'm not sure we will again.

Ron_L
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
As Monty said, use whatever you want. There are no rules about rub or sauce so store bought is good, home made is good, no rub and sauce is good. It's your choice. Just remember that what you like at home may not be what the judges like. Of course, that's true for store bought sauces and rubs, too :-D

As far as how much, it depends on how much eat you are cooking and how much sauce you use. For two briskets, two butts, four racks of ribs and 16 pieces of chicken I probably bring two quarts of sauce. I don't usee all of that but my containers are quart size so it is just easier to fill them up and bring home any leftovers.

musicmanryann
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
In the words of a top competitor when I asked him the same question:

"There are so many great products out there I have never even thought about using my own. Let them do the guessing work for you."

That being said, if you have a sauce and/or rub that you feel is good to go up against proven winners, by all means do it! If you start winning with it, you will have something on your hands that is marketable.

For your second question: We usually use about 3 quarts of sauce per comp. Not all of that goes in to the box, but we like to have lots of extra for guests to put on the leftovers.

bam
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Sauces and rubs used don't need to be home-made. Many use rubs ands sauces that you can buy and add a little something to it.

Alexa RnQ
02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
We use our own rubs and sauces.

Another thing to think about is how much that adds to your workload. When we were on the road eight weeks out of nine, you can bet I had a weak moment thinking about bottled sauce, commercial rub and an RV. http://www.divaherself.com/crylaugh.gif

Jacked UP BBQ
02-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I start with bottled sauce, and add depending on the meat between 5-11 more ingredients to it. I use commercial rubs, yet I just got one bottled that I would love to try in comp, we will see what happens!

early mornin' smokin'
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
we do both, kinda. Sauces are usually commercial, blues hog, head country, the slabs etc, usually a combination of 2 or more of the above and as others have said, also other ingredients, vinegar, honey for shine, rubs to compliment the meat. As far as rubs go, a combination of commercial ones are just as easy, and cost about just as much as making ur own. We do use our own dalmation rub for brisket over a couple commercial ones.

Finney
02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I used to make all my own stuff. Now I make very little.
I just don't have the time.

slowerlowerbbq
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
At this point we have been very satisfied with our rub recipes and are using strictly our own rubs which we based on established recipes and refined to our own liking. Sauce on the other hand is a different issue :roll: ...we have not come up with a very good sauce recipe. But as another poster mentioned, there are so many good sauces on the market, why bother.

That being said, I wont give up until we develop something we can be satisfied with.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
It is cheaper to buy a good rub. I just developed one and I am haiving it bottled, we are going to use it on our pork, ribs, and chicken.

stlgreg
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM

"There are so many great products out there I have never even thought about using my own. Let them do the guessing work for you."

That being said, if you have a sauce and/or rub that you feel is good to go up against proven winners, by all means do it! If you start winning with it, you will have something on your hands that is marketable.

For your second question: We usually use about 3 quarts of sauce per comp. Not all of that goes in to the box, but we like to have lots of extra for guests to put on the leftovers.

Thats the best way i think i have even seen it put!

Lake Dogs
02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
It's also cheaper in many cases to just buy the company of a hooker now & again,
and yet we still try marriage.... One has to wonder....

MoGreen
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Now that chit^^^^^^ is funny!

Divemaster
02-25-2010, 08:15 AM

I remember when he said that... lol

Gowan
02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
We have always used our own creations, never commercial products. When we win, it is all us - nobody else gets the credit.

That said, we do run a restaurant, so since we are going through gallons of sauce and rub each week it's easy for us to keep the price down and the spices fresh.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
We have always used our own creations, never commercial products. When we win, it is all us - nobody else gets the credit.

That said, we do run a restaurant, so since we are going through gallons of sauce and rub each week it's easy for us to keep the price down and the spices fresh.

Do you guys blend your own mix or have a place do it for you?

Gowan
02-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Do you guys blend your own mix or have a place do it for you?

We make everything in the restaurant currently. Publix and a few other outlets want to carry our sauce, so we will probably be jobbing out to a co-packer for the retail business soon.

Ponderosa BBQ
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I make all of my sauces and rubs and injections it's something I've done since I started it's a double edge sword it pays off that it stands out vs other entries but it can hurt you because alot of judges expect a certain flavor profile and if it's to outside the norm of what they expect they will ding you from my experience. But it feels gooood when your hard work pays off.

Chenernator
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
It's also cheaper in many cases to just buy the company of a hooker now & again,
and yet we still try marriage.... One has to wonder....

Had to try hard not to laugh out loud during my meeting. :twisted:

Plowboy
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
We use our own rubs and sauces.

Another thing to think about is how much that adds to your workload. When we were on the road eight weeks out of nine, you can bet I had a weak moment thinking about bottled sauce, commercial rub and an RV. http://www.divaherself.com/crylaugh.gif

If RnQ needs a rub sponsor... :wink:

Alexa RnQ
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
When we start coming to that part of the world, we'd be nuts to use anything else!