PDA

View Full Version : Check out how my sausage hangs...(pron)

Mad Max
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I've been putting it off for a while, to make some Chorizo and try out a new recipe. This recipe differed from previous ones, in that it actually requires drying time, as oppose to fresh sausage. Here is a close up of the mix.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0202.jpg

I froze the pork, prior to grinding and then little sit overnight and let the flavors meld, in the icebox, before stuffing them into med. natural hog casings. Made the links and braided the links.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0204.jpg

Used a PCV pipe and and two hand clamps, in between the two garage door railings, to dry the sausage. Underneath, I place a wheel barrow, lined with plastic liners (to catch and of the drippings).
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0207.jpg

These will hang for about 5 days, before cooking them on the grill. I'll post how they come out and if there was a big difference in drying the Chorizo.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0208.jpg

Just in case, the ferocious guard dog, is ever vigil to protect the stash (or grab a snausage or two).
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/leila2.jpg

Stay Tuned!:twisted:

Ron_L
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
The ferocious guard dog looks like he is taking his job seriously!

Nice looking sausages! I hope no one opens the garage door :-D

big brother smoke
02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Must be frigid in your area?

Guard dog is a nice pooch!

bigabyte
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Your sausage looks great! And your little dog too.:cool:

Mlukewow
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Please let us know how the final product comes out would also love to see pics of them on the grill and finished. Loooooks awsome makes me wanna do some for me

cowgirl
02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Looks mighty tasty so far Max!

Midnight Smoke
02-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I bet that is a conversation starter for anyone coming in thru the garage. Post some after Pic's!

Phubar
02-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks like you're well hung...:biggrin:
Nice job!

King
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Is that spanish chorizo? It looks great, I like mexican style too. Mexican chorizo usually is red and mushy with shredded pork, chorizo y huevos is my favorite breakfast.

smknhotmama
02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Nice job!

ha ha ha!!!!

I have one of those guard dogs too!

dudz
02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Yes your sausage is very well hung indeed

Mad Max
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I bet that is a conversation starter for anyone coming in thru the garage. Post some after Pic's!
Funny you such mention that, as we speak I have about a six men crew from an irrigation company, putting in our sprinkler system and the control box goes in the garage. I have answered more questions about what type of sausage, how did I make them and how long do they have to dry. I had to count the links to make sure there aren't any MIA's.

Nice job!
Why, thank you! :icon_blush:

TrustTheDust
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Now that is a sight i would like to come home to.

Do those also act as an indicator as to if you have pulled into the garage far enough?

Mad Max
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Is that spanish chorizo? It looks great, I like mexican style too. Mexican chorizo usually is red and mushy with shredded pork, chorizo y huevos is my favorite breakfast.

This is Spanish Chorizo. I have had both Mexican and from Spain and personally, like the one from Spain.

Wallaby
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi

The sausage looks great. Can you post the recipe. Also did you a cure in the mix, cure #1, Cure #2, Prague powder, Morton tenderquick.

Thanks
Mike

CaptainJimmy
02-18-2010, 10:42 AM
eager to see recipe as well.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Nice meat tubes! How many tubes does the pooch charge per hour for security services? :lol:

Chef Jim
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Looks really good. What would happen if you smoke it?

SmokinAussie
02-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I would not be trusting your Dog around those sausages for one second... In fact, I wouldn't trust myself either....

1FUNVET
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Forget the recipe, just send me some sausage. :-P

capri man
02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
"Check out how my sausage hangs" i really was not sure if i wanted to open this thread or not!!!!:biggrin:

1FUNVET
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
"Check out how my sausage hangs" i really was not sure if i wanted to open this thread or not!!!!:biggrin:

Definitely hangs different in cold weather. :icon_blush::icon_blush:

anamosity
02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice job. Not to difficult to do and the taste is usually superior to what you buy. Plus you know exactly what goes into it.

Mad Max
02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
eager to see recipe as well.

Recipe for Spanish Chorizo

10#'s pork butt
3#'s pork fat
3 bunches of green onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro (finely chop)
4 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. of minced garlic
6-packets Sazon Goya
3-tsp. white sugar
3/4 cup of Rioja or red wine
med. natural hog casings

Prepare casings, cube the pork and fat, freeze at least 30 minutes, prior to grinding. Grind with fine grind plate finely chop the green onions and cilantro and add with the rest of ingredients. Mix freeze mix for 30 minutes (at least) and do a second grind. Then refrigerate mix over night. and stuff the casings. Twist off into links and hang dry in cool dry place. Let dry from 3-5 days and then cook or freeze portions unused portions.

I never smoked them before, but don't see why not. This particular chorizo is cooked on the grill or pan fried and then used in different dishes.
Enjoy.

ChiefOsceola
02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Definitely a lot colder where you are. You wouldn't be able to walk in the garage here after 5 days due to the stench.

They look great though. Nice and even!

deguerre
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Very nice links there. I like the Spanish over the Mexican too.

Wallaby
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Those look great Mad Max. I did not see any kind of cure in your recipe, the salt may be enough. Just make sure your temps stay below 40 to hang those. If it warmer you run the risk of nasty things growing. Cure #2 or Mortons are used in dried sausage to prevent spoiling. I hope they turn out great for you:-D

Mike

boatnut
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Recipe for Spanish Chorizo

10#'s pork butt
3#'s pork fat
3 bunches of green onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro (finely chop)
4 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. of minced garlic
6-packets Sazon Goya
3-tsp. white sugar
3/4 cup of Rioja or red wine
med. natural hog casings

Prepare casings, cube the pork and fat, freeze at least 30 minutes, prior to grinding. Grind with fine grind plate finely chop the green onions and cilantro and add with the rest of ingredients. Mix freeze mix for 30 minutes (at least) and do a second grind. Then refrigerate mix over night. and stuff the casings. Twist off into links and hang dry in cool dry place. Let dry from 3-5 days and then cook or freeze portions unused portions.

I never smoked them before, but don't see why not. This particular chorizo is cooked on the grill or pan fried and then used in different dishes.
Enjoy.

curious...what is "sazon goya"? Also, I did not see mention of "pink salt, cure #1 or Morton's tenderquick". How do you keep these from spoiling if no curing agent?

capri man
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Definitely hangs different in cold weather. :icon_blush::icon_blush:

mine dont actually hang in cold weather!!:biggrin:

1_T_Scot
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
curious...what is "sazon goya"? Also, I did not see mention of "pink salt, cure #1 or Morton's tenderquick". How do you keep these from spoiling if no curing agent?

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodSubCatID=8&prodCatID=4

Spanish Seasoning it appears.

dwmckay99
02-18-2010, 09:37 PM
That looks great. Good job.

Mad Max
02-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Today, I cut down the sausage, and packaged it up. The weather is starting to warm up and the temp. would not be favorable for chorizo. So, in the icebox they will go (whatever is to be used in the next few days).
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0214.jpg

The used portions will be vaccum sealed and frozen. A total of 44 links, portioned for neighbors, family and us. Tomorrow I will throw them on the grill, after I do the Cupid's Cup Walk for Cardio. Rehab. Center in Charlotte. :eek:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/IMG_0215.jpg

I'll post pics, tomorrow.

Mad Max
02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Definitely a lot colder where you are. You wouldn't be able to walk in the garage here after 5 days due to the stench.

They look great though. Nice and even!
True. The weather has been about 40's and the inside temp, in the garage has been, about 37 degrees. My dishwashing liquid, still has ice crystals.

Those look great Mad Max. I did not see any kind of cure in your recipe, the salt may be enough. Just make sure your temps stay below 40 to hang those. If it warmer you run the risk of nasty things growing. Cure #2 or Mortons are used in dried sausage to prevent spoiling. I hope they turn out great for you:-D

Mike
I used Morton's kosher salt and the sazon, which also has MSG. I maintain a cool environment.

When I see the temp. rising in the garage, I run my neighbor's indoor AC,which I borrowed for this purpose, for a couple of hours, to maintain a range of 39-36 degrees.

dwmckay99
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
True. The weather has been about 40's and the inside temp, in the garage has been, about 37 degrees. My dishwashing liquid, still has ice crystals.

I used Morton's kosher salt and the sazon, which also has MSG. I maintain a cool environment.

When I see the temp. rising in the garage, I run my neighbor's indoor AC,which I borrowed for this purpose, for a couple of hours, to maintain a range of 39-36 degrees.

Have you ever made chorizo before? Why no Bactoferm?

Wallaby
02-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't think you need Bactoferm for chorizo, isn't it for really dried sausages like pepperonis and salamis.

Mike

Mad Max
02-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Have you ever made chorizo before? Why no Bactoferm?

I have made this before and never had a problem. The sausage are not eaten raw, they will be fully cooked.