PDA

View Full Version : butt wrap

txhoosier
03-20-2004, 08:30 AM
greetings and salutations.

its a beautiful morning in texas, just waiting on threesticks to get his a** out of bed so i can get my bloody mary (he has the mix but the vodka is here.) we're coming to you live via the miracle of the wireless internet. in a few hours my laptop will smell like i've actually had it IN the smoker.

while i was waiting for sleeping beauty and my hangover cure, i thought i'd solicit feedback on the way we have been preparing butts. threesticks and i have been smoking them for roughly half the prescribed time in the smoker, then wrapping tightly in foil and finishing them in the oven at 215 or so. we've found that this helps the meat stay more moist, and emptied the smoker for more meat in the second half of the day.

has anybody else tried this?

Saiko
03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Yea, sometimes I get tired of tending the fire and finish off my butts in the oven. Never really noticed any difference between finishing in the oven vs the smoker.
I usually foil at 160-165 then and go to 190-200, either in the smoker or the oven. Since I usually have something else in the smoker, I typically just finish everything off in the smoker.

BBQchef33
03-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Saiko is right on with me, 'cept I bring the butt to about 170-175, then foil it and use the oven(if I need room or sleep). If im in no rush, i will bring it to 195-200 then put the oven down to 125(warm) and leave it there for a few more hours. Once the meat is foiled, it aint getting any smoke anyway, so who cares where the heat comes from.

BTW. Do the same for a brisket. Oven works in place of the towel and cooler.

tommykendall
03-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Disappointment mod :cry:

chad
03-20-2004, 07:18 PM
I do brisket, etc. in the ovens for catering but for family eating I take the extra time to finish it off in the cooker and then into the ice chest.

I guess if I ran short on time or had to leave for a while after the foil was applied I might put the butt or brisket in the oven to finish. Hell, heat's heat!! Once the smoke has done it's thing for a couple of hours and the smoke ring's established it doesn't really matter. (Did I really say that!! ????) :D

txhoosier
03-21-2004, 11:54 AM
glad to see there are others that have adopted this means of cooking.

personally, it doesn't matter where the heat comes from once is foiled. sometimes we entertain for a lot of people, and i need to room to set up my chickens, sausage, & ribs. it doesn't mean we've desecrated anything!

i like the tip about getting in a nap. whn you start hitting the bloody mary's at 9:00 sometimes you need a quick nap to give you enough energy to keep poundin'

parrothead
03-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Use the oven to finish it off?

Greg, back me up here.

Oven?

What the fark is that?

Thats not Q, thats fuc#ked up

So phil, if you blow, but don't swallow, does that mean your not gay?

This is Q Talk, not "Baking with Matilda"

Once in awhile, you just get tired of farking with the fire. After the smoke has done it's thing a nice steady heat source is always welcome.

However, that **** won't fly on the competition ciruit, so we just will have to push on, Bill.

Bill-Chicago
03-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Apologies for that post brothers.

Like 9pm last nigth when I wrote that.

Then, Jorge, Parrothead and I were in chat.

I vaguely recall even typing, remember laughing, then have no recollection. Got a call from Greg at 10pm, saying that he, jorge, and I had a great laugh.

Well I dont recall that conversation in the least. :oops:

rusold
03-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Bill

I am confused - did you delete the post you were sorry about? Or was it in another thread and you were very confused?

R

BBQchef33
03-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Here where Im coming from...... After a brisket has spent 14-16 hours in smoke, and its just need some finishing, and I need some sleep, I see nuttin wrong with letting it sit in the oven. In fact, sitting in the oven at 120 for another 8 hours once it reaches 195-200 jusyt helps break things down further. A few briskets ago, i had a full packer cook in the BYC to 185, it took 16 hours to get there at 220. i was pooped and just let it finish in an oven. Set the oven for 2 hours at 220 and then 8 hours at 125. When we woke up the next morning the whole whouse smelled of BBQ and we had that briskey for breakfast. So tender it just fell apart and the foil had so much juice we used it for a dipping sauce. Ovens another tool, just like foil.. and at the end of 16 hours of fire tending, sleep is welcome and heat is heat.

rusold
03-21-2004, 02:51 PM
I think I have posted this before and got pooh poohed but what the heck -
I do this in reverse for briskets - rub them then foil (as near airtight as I can get) into the oven at 210 for many hours (depending on size) and then in smoke for 3-5 hours - has alway been melt in the mouth with real flavor not much of a ring but the smoke is in there.

R

BBQchef33
03-21-2004, 06:02 PM
no poo poo on that russ.. We all got different ideas, thats why we're here. but isnt that almost like steaming the brisket, or poaching it. (remeber dishwasher Salmon?). I would think that would stop smoke from getting in if its partially cooked once it hits the smoke. But hey.. the quest is for juicy tender brisket.. i'd be willing to try it.

Bill-Chicago
03-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Bill

I am confused - did you delete the post you were sorry about? Or was it in another thread and you were very confused?

R

Yeah I deleted it, but it is still quoted within Gregs post.

Oven is just another tool, I agree.

And where the hell I came up with "Baking with Matilda" is beyond me.

rusold
03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Phil,

The theory is that you set the oven just under 212 so it isn't steaming just getting happy in own juices - that is part of why you try to make the foil airtight. All I know is this one came out of the Bandera melt in mouth with a perfect amount of smoke (I think after the oven the "pores" are open - saying feed me smoke). I still get temp spikes (just when you think you know what you are doing with the thing... ) so there were few "crispy" parts

R

BBQchef33
03-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Russ... how long is "many hours"... u do this with flats or full packers?

txhoosier
03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
hey, i thought the 'baking with matilda' line was funny as heck. milk came out of my nose i laughed so hard...................and i was drinking beer.....even though the joke was directed in part at me.

at any rate, we can't have healthy discussion if we didn't have discagreements every now and again. if we all felt/saw things the same way then there would be no need for this forum!

threesticks and i got freggin wasted cooking last weekend when i posted this original topic, there is a shot of us drinking at 9:00 when we were mostly sober that i'll have to post as soon as i get everything reloaded on my new pc......don't wanna post a huge pic. from what i understand from the sober folks at our diner that night all the food came out great. naturally, it tasted good to us.

later boyz...........

BigAl
03-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Sounds normal to me!

Bill-Chicago
03-22-2004, 08:09 PM
hey, i thought the 'baking with matilda' line was funny as heck. milk came out of my nose i laughed so hard...................and i was drinking beer.....even though the joke was directed in part at me.

at any rate, we can't have healthy discussion if we didn't have discagreements every now and again. if we all felt/saw things the same way then there would be no need for this forum!

threesticks and i got freggin wasted cooking last weekend when i posted this original topic, there is a shot of us drinking at 9:00 when we were mostly sober that i'll have to post as soon as i get everything reloaded on my new pc......don't wanna post a huge pic. from what i understand from the sober folks at our diner that night all the food came out great. naturally, it tasted good to us.

later boyz...........

Thanks Indiana. Not directed at you personally, just a drunken rant.

Matilda. I think that came from Walzing Matilda I saw in the TV Guide listings or something.

Glad you thought funny, that was the intent.

Any way is the right way if it tastes good!