PDA

View Full Version : DFW Q crawl?

Jorge
03-18-2004, 12:00 PM
My weekend schedule for the next couple of months is pretty tight, but I was thinking that it might be worth a shot to see if we could get together and sample various places later in the spring/summer. Anybody interested?

Admins: Feel free to relocate this thread if it is in the wrong place.

brdbbq
03-18-2004, 12:05 PM
I knoiw where not go go up this way but willing to try anything once.

Jorge
03-18-2004, 12:14 PM
How about a list of best and worst, so that we can narrow the field?

brdbbq
03-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Pulled Pork Red White & Blue
Beeif wise I can't find a one that truly smokes there meat since the original Sonny Bryant's closed and went commercial.

brdbbq
03-18-2004, 12:24 PM
How about a list of best and worst, so that we can narrow the field?

Not your farking secretary :shock:

Jorge
03-18-2004, 12:26 PM
From the mid cities I'll add N. Main BBQ as a goodun. For the record, I'm shooting the first SOB that suggests Colters!

brdbbq
03-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Ducking as I add Dickey's

Jorge
03-18-2004, 12:38 PM
<grumbles but gets over it>Bet you listen to the ticket too....

I'll edit this post as joints come to mind, to keep the thread manageable.

1)N. Main in Euless
2)Angelos Ft. Worth
3)Railhead Smokehouse Ft. Worth or Colleyville
4)Up 'n Smoke BBQ Keller

Bill-Chicago
03-18-2004, 03:02 PM
4. Uncle Bubba's Smoke BBQ on Cass Ave in Westmont.

chad
03-18-2004, 07:28 PM
McBee's in Pleasanton -- oh, wait, you're up North :D

Go to San Antonio, Austin, greater Pleasanton!!

Jorge
03-19-2004, 07:39 AM
McBee's in Pleasanton -- oh, wait, you're up North :D

Go to San Antonio, Austin, greater Pleasanton!!

That could take a week. Austin:Green Mesquite for the chopped beef sammich, Rudy's (a chain but they actually use wood), Salt Lick, John Mueler's (I think that's the name). Lockhart: Kreuz Market, Black's BBQ, Smitty's Market (personally I boycott due to the family feud with Kreuz), Chisholm Trail. That isn't including, Elgin, Taylor, Bastrop, etc....

tommykendall
03-19-2004, 08:27 AM
chopped beef sammich

ChiBill is familiar with these. :)

Actually, when I was in TX in January I thought to myself how gret it would be just to visit for one week and do nothing but visit q joints.

Jorge
03-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Actually, when I was in TX in January I thought to myself how gret it would be just to visit for one week and do nothing but visit q joints.

You could easily spend a week and still have more places to visit. I want to sit down sometime and just come up with a list, with a short review for each place and compile it. Maybe get an Admin to make it a sticky at the top of this forum so that those visiting would have something to refer to before they visit. Of course that could be a solution, without a problem.

brdbbq
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
chopped beef sammich

ChiBill is familiar with these. :)

Hell you didn't even have time to visit me. :lol:

Jorge
03-19-2004, 12:56 PM
You could've just given directions to Harry Hines, or did you want to show him yourself?

brdbbq
03-19-2004, 01:16 PM
No Q on Harry Hines but I hear there is fish and stuff

Jorge
03-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Snapper?

chad
03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Heck, even Bill Miller's, a regional/local chain around San Antonio is pretty good. The meat is cooked at their central commissary in San Antonio -- it's good.

McBee's is a little family owned "chain" out in the surrounding towns. Small places, the brick pits are outside in front as you walk up to the door -- great brisket and sausage, the ribs are ok. Sauce needs some work -- but that's true of a lot of TX sauces -- they concentrate on the rub and the meat flavor and the sauce is secondary -- at least that was my experience.

Man, I can't even remember the names of half the places we ate at in SA, Austin, Pleasanton, Jourdanton, Bandera, New Braunfels, Waco, Kerrville, Uvalde, Del Rio, Ft. Stockton :twisted: etc. etc. etc. You had to really be out there not to be able and find some decent 'que.

Some of the best food was out on Omar and Millie's deck!! Fire up the cooker and go to town - sausage had to be the favorite at parties.

brdbbq
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Shucky derns

frognot
03-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Anybody been to Clarke's Outpost in Tioga? Good li'l road trip north of Metromess on Lake Ray Roberts.

ckkphoto
03-29-2004, 03:28 PM
There is still a Sonny Bryant original downtown on Inwood.

No good q joints so far in the Denton/Lewisville area that I have found. Do agree that Red Hot and Blue is ggreat for pulled pork. Have good SAUCE too.

tommykendall
03-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Do agree that Red Hot and Blue is ggreat

We have a chain called Red Hot and Blue here in the mid-atlantic area. Wonder if it's the same outfit. Their ribs are ok, pulled pork is great (like you said) and so is the sauce (like you said). Pulled pork is the only thing I will order there.

brdbbq
03-29-2004, 04:15 PM

We have a chain called Red Hot and Blue here in the mid-atlantic area. Wonder if it's the same outfit. Their ribs are ok, pulled pork is great (like you said) and so is the sauce (like you said). Pulled pork is the only thing I will order there.

Ditto wonder if they sale there sauce ?

brdbbq
03-29-2004, 04:17 PM
There is still a Sonny Bryant original downtown on Inwood.

No good q joints so far in the Denton/Lewisville area that I have found. Do agree that Red Hot and Blue is ggreat for pulled pork. Have good SAUCE too.

Sonnny's original still open ? I went to the one in downtown wasn't impressed. When Sonny was alive that place was killer. Awesome Onion rings my weakness.

ckkphoto
03-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Sonnny's original still open ? I went to the one in downtown wasn't impressed.

Glad it wasn't just my impression. I ate there once, and it was ok, but nothing truly eunuch.

Bill-Chicago
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM

Might be a chain.

Ours recently closed.

They put slaw on their pulled pork. You don't fark with peoples pork up here in the north. Thats a southern thing, when you need to hide the taste of ****ty Q.

<ducking for cover>

chad
03-30-2004, 08:23 AM
You getting awful froggy for a Yankee with a sore butt! :twisted:

ckkphoto
03-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Anybody been to Clarke's Outpost in Tioga? Good li'l road trip north of Metromess on Lake Ray Roberts.

Thanks for the tip. Next time I take my ten year old camping it might be worth a side trip.

MikeG
03-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Now now Bill, maybe occasionally some need to hide the taste of chitty
Q with shaw, but not often. Jim Neeley's Interstate BBQ in Memphis is some of
the best of the best and they offer a shaw & Q samich that is awsome.
They have a branch in the Memphis airport(concorce B gate 14 or 17 I think). Any brethern been there done that besides me?
Mikeg

tommykendall
03-30-2004, 02:15 PM

They sell the sauce here. Never bought it because I never thought it would be as good as the stuff at the tables in the squeeze bottles.

brdbbq
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM

They sell the sauce here. Never bought it because I never thought it would be as good as the stuff at the tables in the squeeze bottles.

Sounds like a mission to me.

Bigdog
03-30-2004, 02:35 PM
They have a branch in the Memphis airport(concorce B gate 14 or 17 I think). Any brethern been there done that besides me?
Mikeg

Roger that...Gate B-17... Best pulled pork sammich with slaw. I think that it may be an aquired taste, but definately worth it! A must stop on the Brethern Q search. Buy 2 for your next trip and see how everyone near you on the plane will be jealous. 1000 times better than plane food.

Jorge
06-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Reviving an old thread. Over the last couple of weeks there have been several members that professed some sort of tie to OU, UT, or Texas A&M. I had been thinking about tailgating for the Texas OU game the second weekend in October. Any interest in maybe doing a Q crawl of DFW that weekend?

brdbbq
06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
I might jump on that, so there will be at least two to us.

Stucue74
06-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Reviving an old thread. Over the last couple of weeks there have been several members that professed some sort of tie to OU, UT, or Texas A&M. I had been thinking about tailgating for the Texas OU game the second weekend in October. Any interest in maybe doing a Q crawl of DFW that weekend?

It might be tough that weekend for me. First, we usually meet up with friends we haven't seen since college and everyone has parties planned. And 2, the town is pretty packed that weekend. Let me know though if you guys work something out maybe I can slip away and join you.

brdbbq
06-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Is it necessary to wait till October for such a feast ? We all know that BBQ was born down this way so we should celebrate.

Jorge
06-23-2004, 03:20 PM
As usual you are correct. I was just thinking in terms of giving others a chance to get their affairs in order, kiss their loved ones goodbye, make travel arrangements, find a time of year where we could sit outside so them yanks wouldn't stroke out...... Where's that Keller contingent at?

brdbbq
06-23-2004, 03:21 PM
a time of year where we could sit outside so them yanks wouldn't stroke out......

Fark that will be December.

Jorge
06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Not it you take them to Harry Hines to acclimate them.

Arlin_MacRae
06-23-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm up for that anytime. 3 1/2 hours of driving would make me plenty hungry and thirsty!

Jorge
06-23-2004, 05:09 PM
You realy should move sout of the river Arlin. You'd fit right in and we'd be happy to have you. See, us Texans are right friendly as long as you agree with us;)

BigAl
06-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Mikeg

Slaw on great hot sauce pork is King!

Arlin_MacRae
06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
You realy should move sout of the river Arlin. You'd fit right in and we'd be happy to have you. See, us Texans are right friendly as long as you agree with us;)

Awww, been there, done that. I was living in Dallas when President Kennedy was assassinated (I was three, OK? <grin>) and I lived in San Antone for three or fours years back in the early nineties, plus numerous TDYs and boot camp on Lackland AFB.

I DO like you Texans, and you have a good sense for what tastes good!

Oh, and I can get a tattoo in Texas when I can't get one here. No, REALLY....Okies.... Hmm, maybe I'll run down there and get that laughing pig tattooed on my...never mind... 8)

kcquer
06-25-2004, 06:23 AM
plus numerous TDYs and boot camp on Lackland AFB.

Me too, some how the TDY was more fun than my first trip :shock: :lol: