PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Pitmaster's

bamaman76
02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I read this on Jack's Old South Facebook page!

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/1934/119/q205447505743_7270.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacks-Old-South/205447505743?ref=mf) Jack's Old South (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacks-Old-South/205447505743?ref=mf) Thanks for all of your support by watching BBQ Pitmasters! Despite any rumors posted on other pages/sites, currently no season 2 has been signed for! We look forward to having a 2nd season, but are unsure at this time! Thanks again for your support

dig'em
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
That sucks. I hope they do a second season.

Is the first one over already?

BigdogEMT
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Man!!! Thats a shame!! I wonder if we start a email campaign to the Learning Channel if it would help?

What do you all say?

Terry

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Since there is no confirmed second season yet...

Let's discuss... if you were producing :

Would you want the same cooks or new ones ? What type of competitors best fit the personalities needed for TV ?

Would you want the format to be the same ? Would it become repetitive ?

Smoothsmoke
02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I say keep the top two cooks of the show and bring in fresh blood. The top two cooks as those being who cumulatively placed the highest throughout the 8 episodes.

SMITTYtheSMOKER
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Who were the top 2?

Johnny and Myron?

Who would be 3?

Tuffy?

I would like to see them rank their season's performance and keep the top 3 and add 2-5 more.

Boshizzle
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I say add a team that uses a be all end all UDS.

WineMaster
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Gotta have a pit-chick though. Who would replace Leanne one of the Divas?

landarc
02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I would like to see more of an emphasis on smaller comps and teams, maybe get more regional areas involved too. I think it would be great to see something other than guys using Jambo pits, as great as they are, I relate better to Harry Soo than Myron Mixon. On Huck's Hut webcast, the producer was talking that they are working on getting a renewal, but, that they missed the ratings they needed by a little bit.

Rich Parker
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
You need drama to have the show get picked up so Myron and Johnny have to return. It would be nice if they picked up another rookie team like Paul was but maybe with more of a clue.

CmdCtrl
02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Loved the show but agree with the above posts.

You need drama and conflict to keep things interesting - at least that's the typical reality tv formula. Harry's just too nice a guy.

I'd also love to see other types of pits in competition, hardware too...

JiveTurkey
02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
They could do it like American Idol. Have a bunch of people from various cities have cookoffs, Mixon could be the mean judge, the best cooks move on week after week until there is one winner. Kinda like "Next Food Network Star" but with down home bbq'ers not professional chefs. I'd watch it.

NorthwestBBQ
02-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I would like to see Todd Johns (Pork Pullin Plowboys) and Chris Hart (I Que) on the show next season.

Alexa RnQ
02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Remember how the Versus series pulled in a local team to go up against the pitmasters in each of the venues? That would be an ideal mix, I think -- Myron, Tuffy and Trigg from this season, a couple of new teams for the new season, and local color at each event.

*goes to sit forlornly in front of the TV, watching DVR'd episodes of Pitmasters*

Brauma
02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd like to nominate Chris of Dizzy Pig.

JP
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I say keep Myron and Johnny Trig.

Then I'd dump the rest. ( no offense, just need to see more personality )

I'd add Notley Que, since he's been "teased" on the show and a few other personality types.

Remember it's gotta make good tv. I would have kept Leanne if they filmed her break up with her boyfriend by tossing raw chicken at him.

Jbomb
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Id love to see different pits as well. I would like to see some new Cooks but also like to see updates on the ones that do not carry over. I am interested to see if Paul gets his game up to speed or not. He really seemed to not have any clue to BBQ and wasn't really likable at the beginning but seemed to mellow and start to figure it out a little with Johnny's help.

Buster Dog BBQ
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd like them to get teams that cook enough to be at these events and be comparable in the TOY race. Adds more drama if a team gets hot. Would like to see some of what else is going on at a contest. We get the point that they turn in four meats and the definition of each one. Maybe mix in a desert category.

SMITTYtheSMOKER
02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I liked watching Jamie Geer, and he performed very well compared to others it seemed.

I wonder why he didn't get more camera time?

Boshizzle
02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Gotta keep Jamie. He's entertaining.

"Nervous as a dog s#@!ing peach seeds!"
"Smells like my 1st wife."
I'm gonna put some hurt on those SOBs."

Smoothsmoke
02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Fast Eddie from the versus shows.

Rebel Q
02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
For kicks I think that Chris Lilly should join in just so we can watch Myron get upset all day long. I couldn't believe just how much Chris got under Myron's skin and the funniest part about it was that I don't even think he was doing it on purpose. Yeah Jamie has to stay for sure!

smoke-n-my-i's
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
It is TV, if it isn't being watched by millions, and doesn't get the ratings, so the advertisers get their revenue, then they will drop it. No matter what drama, or what teams are on it.... it is all about the revenue and money... nothing else.

I too would like to see more. I think they should show more of the rookie/newbie teams and more of the middle of the road teams, as well as the seasoned teams. Show the mix. I know that they are not going to do it, as they only want to show the "best", but it would show the real true competition circuit.... ok, I'm going to my corner now.:icon_shy

Brauma
02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I want to see someone win with a Bandera!! :mrgreen: You'll need Cat Sass BBQ for that. :rolleyes: :lol:

monty3777
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I liked watching a new guy earn his stripes. Whatever they do, they should keep that aspect of the show going!

Smoothsmoke
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
BigMista!

mfdfyrecaptain
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I think is good to have rookie cooks too as it does encourage others to try as well as maybe some insight into a comp.

Boshizzle
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I think that Paul was a nice addition because it contrasted the world of BBQ from the rest of the culinary world.

BBQ isn't about the fanciest, "artsyist", or "prissyest" food. It's about cooking a piece of meat to perfection without some kind of a food version of Picasso in the mix.

There is no such thing as designer BBQ.

bottomsupbbq
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
i would like to see todd johns (pork pullin plowboys) and chris hart (i que) on the show next season.

ditto

KnightOfTears
02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I enjoyed the series, and I guess they didn't have too much drama because it's just BBQ...lol. I believe Johnny, Myron, and Jamie put some attitude into the show and made it more enjoyable. Hopefully they will proceed with a second season. I too would like to see Todd Johns from PPP on the next season.

Also, for those who don't have a DVR/PVR and would like all 8 episodes, shoot me a private message and I will send you the download links where I uploaded them all. I have the files all named and dated correctly. They are in .avi format. Or, if a mod or someone wouldn't mind me posting a thread with them I would do that too. I just need to know which section to put the thread.

Balls Casten
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd like to see it be a live show .... make it more of a sports broadcast or world poker series type show.

Or a Sunday night show with three live events ... Royal, Jack and Memphis ????

ricksegers
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I tried to watch a couple of episodes and forced my self to watch one complete episode. It was difficult to do. I am not sold that this did BBQ, competitive or otherwise, any good. BBQ people may have liked it because they could slap each other on the back and laugh about Myron "that crazy sum b***h."

Just like all the Food Network shows folks here gripe about, the members of this board, by and large, are not the target audience for these type shows. As far as a letter writing campaign to bring it back, unless the numbers they got were real close to what they promised, don't look for it to help. After 30 years in broadcasting, the industry is more numbers oriented than ever before.

tkuehn5410
02-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I enjoyed the show but thought Lee Ann was always complaining and throwing fits about something and I got tired of seeing Paul talk smack 24/7 and come in DAL and talk about how great his que was.

SMITTYtheSMOKER
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I feel it (the Show) has in fact gave the sport of BBQ a shot in the arm so to speak. We have an early season unsanctioned "Backyard" event this weekend that has 5o teams entered and almost 35 are new teams. Our Association has around 100 Competition Teams, so adding 20-40 new teams is big.

Not sure just how much the show plays into this, but the timing seems to lend some credence to the fact that the show has helped.

Haltech
02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, i think Leanne straight up sucked and added nothing to the entire show.

Jamie was quite entertaining and im amazed, he got very little air time. Tuffy wasnt all that and should be replaced with someone who is true bbq, not someone who wants to place a gourmet spin on ****. Myron & Johnny are definite keepers. Paul was clueless and even toward the end in the whole hog event, he still didnt seem to give 2 ****s about being apart of the series. So, i say he should be replaced with a more gung ho rookie willing to learn.

. I really enjoyed Harry because of 2 reasons:

1) He used the same equipment most of us use. He is easier to relate to on the show because of this.

2) He is down to earth and proves, CA can BBQ just as good, if not better then Texas and the south. He held his own with common man equipment.

BigdogEMT
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I say maybe take the top few teams and then highlight a local team or 2.

Terry

DoubleC
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Personally I think Diva Q need's to be on the show. I think Myron and Johnny need to stay. They should bring in Rod Gray and Jerry King to mix it up a little.

ThomEmery
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Yes a new local team week would be interesting

TooSaucedToPork
02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
my 2 cents...not that they are worth anything :biggrin:

With Myron getting on all the talkshows and on crossovers with other food network shows I think they will pick it up again. He has become a bonified star and the posterboy for Competitive BBQ. It is a numbers game on TV, and they have been generating some serious buzz. I'm really interested to see how many more people (if any) come to contests this year as spectators due to the show.

Personally, I think they should follow the biggest personalities they can find. The more trashtalk and drama the better. Whether they be in MBN, KCBS, or whatever. It might not be all about the BBQ, BUT it will be entertaining TV, which will put up big numbers, which in turn will bring more spectators to contests, which will bring bigger sponsors, which in turn will bring more money to contests, which will put more money on the winning checks...hopefully MY winning checks :-) Plus, once someone comes to a contest they will find out we aren't a bunch of in-fighting trash-talking sarcastic tools...or are we :shock: :-D

We all know how Competitive BBQ works, and that is all that matters. TV will get it wrong, and the rules will be skewed and bastardized on TV, but it might just create spinoff shows that all the little guys can get in on...but until then BRING ON SEASON 2!!!!

BigdogEMT
02-11-2010, 11:00 PM
With Myron getting on all the talkshows and on crossovers with other food network shows I think they will pick it up again. He has become a bonified star and the posterboy for Competitive BBQ. !!!

Thats the "Damn" truth!!!!

Terry

Boshizzle
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
If Squeeze Parkay and Tiger Sauce have anything to do with it, the show will be back. Jambo Pits isliking it too.

KuyasKitchen
02-12-2010, 04:42 AM
I should come back because I'm the best damn BBQ cook there is. I'm the damn king of BBQ.

I agree. I'd like to see Myron, Johnny, and Harry. Harry is definitely my favorite.

Someone mentioned DivaQ. OK, works for me. Or, how about Cowgirl?

Diver
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
The show was billed as a "docu-series" which I guess is a hybrid documentary/reality series. They tried to appeal to 2 groups, the "docu" aspect drew people like us, the "series" part was supposed to draw in non-bbq addicts. It was an interesting formula. I think they came up short on drawing the masses though. I saw co-workers (drawn to the reality aspect) quickly lose interest. My thoughts:

1. Follow the teams more closely. To draw the masses, viewers need to connect emotionally to the characters/competitors. The series was all over the place. People loved Harry one week then you don't see him again for 2.
2. End the shows on a higher note. The show needs to build to a more suspense filled climactic ending. It seemed the endings were almost an afterthought. While I was totally excited to hear the names of fellow brethren called, the general viewer had no emotional tie.
3. Make it a competition bewtween the show's "contestants". Either elimate the lowest place finisher or institute a Nascar style points system. Each show would end with suspense and there is something at stake.

For the record, I really liked the show a lot. I watched live, DVR'd and bought the series on Itunes. But, for the show to successfully pull in the ratings, I'm afraid they will have to show less "docu" and more "series". I sincerely hope it returns in some format.

Big Poppa
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
for this show to work it has to be compelling and relevant to people other than the die hards. we are the cayenne pepper...

I thinik that 2 of the shows were downright boring. I think that Jaime was good and myron was fun and after that you could put anyone in there...

I think that they also missed an opportunity fo content and story by only showing the pits and pitmasters at the comps....there is always some thing fun and wacky at the comps in the crowd.

I don t think its coming back.......just my guess

Jbomb
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I liked watching Jamie Geer, and he performed very well compared to others it seemed.

I wonder why he didn't get more camera time?

I agree. I really liked Jamie. He seemed for what we saw of him like regular guy who seemed very nice. And is has some smarts about BBQ.

WBBQ
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I hope that they do bring back the show. If they do, I think that it would have a different format. In an interview John Markus states that if their is a next time that he may have auditions or have people send in tapes or something. He said he wasn't given much time to prepare for the first season so he had to make quick decisions on who to use. As far as Jamie not getting a lot of face time, I think that it was because he didn't come alive until the very end. I believe that they filmed everyone, but only showed the ones that had the most interesting weekend.

Here is a link to several interviews with John Markus, Myron, and Leanne.

http://www.latalkradio.com/Greg.php

I sure hope that they do bring back the show.

Weldon

Proud owner of a WSM 22 1/2"
Visit my Blog: http://backyard-barbeque.blogspot.com/

Dyce51
02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I agree with most here!

At first I didn't really care for Myron but after watching the entire season I liked him best.

Hopefully they will do another season!! I'd like to see Myron, Johnny, Jamie (he showed a devious side in that last episode with the Cayenne LOL).

As for Harry...I dunno about him....It kind of struck me odd when he made that "sweet" sauce that he did not like but yet he served it to the judges....I dunno about you but I don't serve anyone any food that I myself do not like.

landarc
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
It seems odd for Harry to have done that, but, he ranked 24th nationally for KCBS, that ain't bad. I think it was an excellent view into the strategy for a team to follow, trying to understand the regional differences of BBQ and judging. It is interesting to note that Slap Yo' Daddy as a team is only a 2 or 3 years old and doing very well. I think that was one of the 'hidden' tips you could glean from the show.

uziel5000
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I for one loved the show...

As far as spreading the word of true BBQ I can tell you it worked. At least down here in Puerto Rico. Before the show I knew only a handful of people that understood the whole concept of slow n' slow, now everyone I know wants to try it.

As far as changes to the show, I liked the format very much and the competitors featured all were fun to watch in their own right. The people I have talked with about the show seem to agree with me on the following:

1. Myron and Leann didn't come out looking too good. Myron came out as a bit arrogant and all about the money. This is weird because everything I had read and seen about him before the show came out seemed to say he is an extremely nice guy. The only time he seemed nice on the show was when he was talking to guys in Holla n' Swalla at the Royal. Leann's issues with her boyfriend made her seem like a control freak. Again, I don;t think its true but maybe if they went a little deeper into the break-up we wouldv'e understood better. As it is on the show, it looks like the guy was simply angry at being scolded and humiliated over everyhting she complained about and bailed. I know I would have.

2. This is not the fault of the show or even the contestants but a big part of building drama ia the competitions themselves. You win some, you lose some but as luck would have it, NONE of the featured pitmasters won a single contest during the season. They placed on a couple of categories but none were even close to even reserve grand champion. Again, nobody's fault but I bet it would have made the show much more interesting. Myron in particular, talked a good game about all his wins. Made him that much less endearing.

My favorite moments from the show:

1. Myron getting 1st place brisket using Tuffy's brisket, then calling him a sucker for it. (I'm still laughing)

2. Leann's face when she saw the judge saying her ribs tasted like lighter fluid.

3. Jamie killing any chance of winning Johnny's Rib Challenge by burning the judges for talking trash about his baby backs.

4. Paul doing half his ribs in a competition not following Johnny Trigg's instructions and burning them.

5. Myron's face when Chris Lilly comes over to talk to him. "How many World Championships has he won? 2? I got 3!!" LOL

6. Tuffy boring a judge to death at the Big Pig Jig.

7. The people "dancing" at the American Royal parties.

8. Harry smoking the big boys in the final rib challenge using only WSM's.

9. Tuffy, who along the series became the sole personal promoter of Jambo Pits. "Jambos love the rain." This is a good pit pit but it ain't no Jambo." :roll:

chambersuac
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I think that they should use the same teams, but add a special "BBQ Pitmaster" category - make 'em cook squirrel.

KuyasKitchen
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
As for Harry...I dunno about him....It kind of struck me odd when he made that "sweet" sauce that he did not like but yet he served it to the judges....I dunno about you but I don't serve anyone any food that I myself do not like.

You have to please the judges. If the judges don't like what you like and you insist upon serving them your flavor profile anyway ... you're not going to place well.

ianthesurveyer
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I really liked the show. I have always thought how I would do in compititions. Since I have watched the show, I have decided, what the hell. I am signed up for 7 Comps this year. I may fall flat on my face, but I am going to have fun doing it. My wife loved the show too and she is very interested in learning the ropes now.

ianthesurveyer
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Here is the link to TLC custumer relations if you want to voice your opinion about the show.

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

MadKirk
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
My wife and I REALLY enjoyed the show. We wished it had a longer season. I thought Myron acted out for the camera a little too much, and needs to cut back on the profanities, but I can see how they could build a show around him and his antics. For whatever reason, Mr. Trigg was my favorite person on the show, and someone I would actually like to meet. I like pretty much everyone else, though too. As someone new to BBQ, I learned a lot watching the show, and know I NEVER want to compete! LOL! Hope they do it again.