PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork this weekend.

ckkphoto
03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
I am doing an old standby. A freind of mine just got a job after a year of looking, so I will smoke pulled pork (which he loves).
Problem with getting good at something is that you have to do it over and over and over and over....
I should have bought two butts and done one of them in teryaki sauce just to be different. I get bored when things are too easy. :(

Bigdog
03-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Your friend is lucky to have a friend like you.

And yes, always buy 2 and experiment.

Bill-Chicago
03-12-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm gonna try one this weekend, but I won't wrap at 165 like usual. I'll wrap at 190 and cooler it.

I wanna see if that gives better bark build up. Someone post that earlier this week, but I thought that was talking brisket bark.

stlmike
03-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Bill,
I don't usually wrap anymore until the butt goes into the cooler. Just rub and many hours at 225 to 250 degrees. The bark is usually ok. Let me know how yours turns out.
Mike

nthole
03-12-2004, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of trying one this weekend wrapped at 165, but then unwrapped at about 185 take it to 190 (maybe an hour to crust up the bark) and then into the cooler. I'm hoping that will still give it the fall apart tender juiciness with a little more bark kick.

Solidkick
03-12-2004, 08:46 PM
I actually got to cook the two I had in the fridge this past Thursday. It was either cook them in 30 MPH wind gusts, or freeze them.
I wrapped at 160*, then took to 195*-197*. Bones fell out of both of them, and shredded perfectly. Best butts I've ever done.

The flavor is wonderful, I used sugar maple and pear as my smoking woods. It was a great experience, even if it was a bit windy.

Bigdog
03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Mr. Kick,
We here in Kansas never let a little wind stop us.

Solidkick
03-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Mr. Kick,

I bet THAT's the truth!

I'd taken vacation the week before and never got a chance to cook because of wind, rain, or a previous commitment.

(BTW, that fart you cut loose about 7 AM Thursday morning, just before you got into your pickup truck, passed through here about 1 PM that afternoon. Dude, you got to lay off them peanuts! :mrgreen: )

tommykendall
03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Cols and windy this morning here in MD. Fired up the dera at 6:30 and loaded 2 8# butts at 7:15. NOw I gotta go find that damn vinegar seasoning recipe by Gary S.

ckkphoto
03-13-2004, 12:34 PM

When did Kansas ever have just a LITTLE wind. As far as I am concerned Kansas is the land of sideways rain, sideways snow, and a hell of a lot of sideways sleet.

Bigdog
03-13-2004, 01:47 PM

When did Kansas ever have just a LITTLE wind. As far as I am concerned Kansas is the land of sideways rain, sideways snow, and a hell of a lot of sideways sleet.

No argument here. But we do get some really nice weather too.

Bill-Chicago
03-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Prep for tomorrow.

Just got finished rubbing a smaller 4.5# butt and 3.25# boneless chuck eye roast. Both with Grub Rub. Both in plastic wrap.

Got giant rack of untrimmed spare, gonna St Louis those in the morning. Might soak that in Dales Marinade from MikeG. Haven't tried it yet, but its super concentrated. Never use overnight, he told me, label says just couple hours.

Anyone ever try that? Marinate spares. Probably silly, but like ckkphoto, I'm up for a little experimenting. When I wrap them at 3 hours, gotta remember to apply DLittles Hab jelly he sent me.

And after someones (Jorge, Saiko, can't recall) reminder of a good test last week, go a 1# roll of Jimmy Dean Mild sausage to try. Any suggestions on length of time on that thing?

Doing my first beer butt chicken in the Bandit too. Usially its Pa Kettle for those

Suppose to be cold rainy and generally ****ty tomorrow. Once I'm up to temp, will be a beautiful day.

ckkphoto
03-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Ive gut the butt in now, and the smoker is (unfortunately) chuffing out white smoke...with the rain, I cant preheat my wood on top. Love Phils Idea of doing it in the smoke box, but my peices this time are too big cause I don't feel like cutting them smaller out in the rain. Dinner is at seven, and I AM gonna take half of the pork but and stir in a OTF teryaki sauce as a finisher. Dammit, just gotta do SOMETHING different. :?

ckkphoto
03-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Heads up. The teriyaki sauce was a hit. I ate three platefuls of pulled pork...good thing I will be chopping and splitting wood all next week.

BBQchef33
03-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Mr. Kick,

Thats not what Dorothy and toto said.

sorry, couldnt resist.

Theres no place like home theres no place like home.

8)

Bigdog
03-13-2004, 09:19 PM
That's OK Phil. We here in Kansas are used to those Oz jokes. At least we are famous for something.

BBQchef33
03-13-2004, 09:27 PM
no to derail this thread, but I'd rather have OZ, than what we have here on Long Island... New Yorks suburbs....

We got Joey Buttafuco and Amy Fisher....

and then NY.....
Son of Sam
Hillary Clinton

i'll take Toto anyday.

ok.. back on topic. :)

Saiko
03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
I have 30 pounds of pork shoulder prepped in the fridge. Tomorrow is yard work day, so not much experimenting going on. Just gonna tend the fire and rake and bag about 2,389,359,012,392 leaves left over from winter.

Solidkick
03-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I have 30 pounds of pork shoulder prepped in the fridge. Tomorrow is yard work day, so not much experimenting going on. Just gonna tend the fire and rake and bag about 2,389,359,012,392 leaves left over from winter.

Don't forget the gutters! Your leaf count just went up a third...........

fidel24
03-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Prep for tomorrow.

Got giant rack of untrimmed spare, gonna St Louis those in the morning. Might soak that in Dales Marinade from MikeG. Haven't tried it yet, but its super concentrated. Never use overnight, he told me, label says just couple hours.

Anyone ever try that? Marinate spares. Probably silly, but like ckkphoto, I'm up for a little experimenting. When I wrap them at 3 hours, gotta remember to apply DLittles Hab jelly he sent me.

I use the Dales a lot - prior stationed in Alabama - Love it and buy it all the time we go to visit freinds..lot cheaper down south...I marinate ribs in it for about 6 to 8 hrs prior...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm good.

Bill-Chicago
03-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Well not only did I forget to marinate, I forgot the farking beer can chicken. Still in the fridge. I'll kettle cook that this week.

And it is extremely windy today, and about to rain, so no experimenting.

Pain just keeping the temps up using the heat shield.

tommykendall
03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Well not only did I forget to marinate, I forgot the farking beer can chicken. Still in the fridge

Result of the Jack and ginger mod?

Jorge
03-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Ive gut the butt in now, and the smoker is (unfortunately) chuffing out white smoke...with the rain, I cant preheat my wood on top. Love Phils Idea of doing it in the smoke box, but my peices this time are too big cause I don't feel like cutting them smaller out in the rain. Dinner is at seven, and I AM gonna take half of the pork but and stir in a OTF teryaki sauce as a finisher. Dammit, just gotta do SOMETHING different. :?

Keep an eye on the Academy ads on Sunday. I bought a $20 canopy that is more than large enough to cover the 'dera when it rains. I have to store it outside and can't use it for anything else but it has come in handy enough to pay for itself.

Bill-Chicago
03-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Well not only did I forget to marinate, I forgot the farking beer can chicken. Still in the fridge

Result of the Jack and ginger mod?

Nope. Wind mod

I finally get the thing up to temp, start putting in all the meat. Farking with the heat shield, add more fuel, get the thermometers threaded through the grates, and then want to keep the door shut for at least 2 hours.

sit down, wife says, whats with the chicken and the Jimmy dean still in the fridge.

FARK.

hidden behind chinese food containers.

So the sausage went in when I opened the door for the first time.

BigAl
03-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Home is where your fart is.

tommykendall
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Nope. Wind mod

I burned a $hit load of wood Saturday because of the cold wind mod. 9 hours of burning nothing but wood in like 30 minute intervals. Sounds like a job for the basket mod.

Bill-Chicago
03-15-2004, 08:00 PM
farking 1.5 bags of charcoal and a **** load of unused cherry wheels.

Shoulda used the WSM, but I was dying for a Bandit cook

I hear you TK

At this point, I dont care. got 2 bags left, and I made it through winter with my 11 bags. Stores fully stocked with Kingsford and grills again

brdbbq
03-16-2004, 01:36 PM
no to derail this thread, but I'd rather have OZ, than what we have here on Long Island... New Yorks suburbs....

We got Joey Buttafuco and Amy Fisher....

and then NY.....
Son of Sam
Hillary Clinton

i'll take Toto anyday.

ok.. back on topic. :)

You got the naked cowboy to.