PDA

View Full Version : Chigger Creek Lump

Smoke & Beers
02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
What's the word on Chigger Creek Lump?
Any of you use it?
I've read the review in TNW...but it was written in 2003...wanting to know if any of you are currently using it?
One of our local shops is planning on carrying it and just wondering if it's worth a chit...

Thanks in Advance

cruzmisl
02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I used it several years ago and from what I recall it was pretty good but more expensive than royal oak. The store that used to carry it locally went out of business but if I saw it again I'd buy it.

Smoke & Beers
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm....1 reply...
That good?

RobKC
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I'd use it again if I could get it.

bigabyte
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I just got some Chigger Creek lump yesterday when I was at the butcher. They used to carry Wicked Good but were either out or have stopped carrying it, I did not get a chance to ask the owner what the deal was with the Wicked Good unfortunately.

However, the Chigger Creek worked just fine. I would compare it to Royal Oak probably. The pieces were of similar size to Royal Oak for the most part, maybe even a little bigger. Lit up with ease. I dumped a lit chimney on one side of my 22" kettle and got a good 45 minutes of burn time before closing her down, so I will see how it relights next time I fire it up. Looked like there was still quite a bit of burn time left on those coals to be honest.

Flavorwise, it was great! I was absolutely loving the food and everyone else was raving about it. So I would probably buy it again but will wait until I take a look at the remaining coals and see how well they can be reused. It's possible they may burn longer than RO, but since I did not burn them all the way down I am not sure.

I paid $14 for a 20# bag, not a bad price.

Smoke & Beers
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I quit buying RO after finding many lumps of clay/rock...
Was getting some "The Good One" lump, but was finding it had a lot of very small pieces in it...and a lot of fine dust in the bottom of the bags...at least a cup or two full.
Bought some BGE lump and the first piece I pulled out of the bag wasn't even half charred.
Hopefully this Chigger Creek will be some good stuff.

bigabyte
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I've used the Chigger Creek 5 times now on my kettle, and the results are very consistent. When I am done cooking I extinguish the coals by cutting off the air, and they relight the next time with no problem. Each Weber chimney full of this stuff gives me 90 minutes of burn time in the 22" kettle.

So far no wierd pieces either. This is still my first bag I am working on, so as long as they do not get a lot of "funny" bags like so many are getting from RO, then this looks like some really good stuff IMHO. I'd buy it again.