PDA

View Full Version : 1st UDS cook under way!

caliking
01-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Howdy brothers.

1st cook underway. Started about 1 hr ago. Filled the basket with 3 chimney starter-fulls of regular Kingsford, 2 fist sized pieces of peach wood, and 5 lit briqs.

Currently temp is 205 and climbing slowly, only the ball valve is open (fully open). Still getting thickish white smoke out of the vent of the dome lid. From what I read in the past, I need to wait for the smoke to clear before I can put the food on right? Would appreciate folks' recs.

Will put the pron up when its ready (2 racks of babybacks, beer butt chicken).

have a good weekend everyone!

Meat Burner
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Good luck on the cook! It will turn out great. Probably could have used a few more lit briqs to start which may be why the slow temp climb. Actually, it will work our real well in making it easier to settle the temp in where you want. Keep us posted.

Captain Dave
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
You don't want the smoke to clear. You just dont want real white smoke.

caliking
01-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Loaded up the groceries about 1 hr ago. Temp had risen to about 260. Dropped to 218 sometime after the groceries went on (lid was off for a little while I figured out placement on the rack and placed the temp probes). Opened one intake and throttled the ball valve down to about half-way. Temp is now 236 and appears to be stable. Smoke out of the dome lid vent has also settled down... intermittent and somewhat wispy. Dinner will be about 10-11pm... but good things come to those who wait, right? :-D

Next time I might add more lit briqs so I don't wait 2 hrs to come up to temp... oh well, ya live ya learn.:wink:

caliking
01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
woo hoo! Cruising along at 230-235 with one intake and ball valve partially open. Groceries have bene on for about 2 hours. Will foil the ribs in another hour with the Parkay/brown sugar/honey mix that seems to be popular.