PDA

View Full Version : Cooking in the arctic South Dakota

blueshound75
01-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Built my UDS last spring and have burned through countless bags of briquettes and lump. I was worried about having to give up smoking in the winter because of the weather. That would have been devastating because there is no BBQ joints within 100 miles of my house, though I have sneaked out of town to get some BBQ on occasion. Believing I was doomed to eating stove top and oven food for the winter it was almost more than I could bear. Au contraire mon frere I whipped out the UDS filled her full of coal and cooked 5 baby back racks 4 pork butts 3 spare ribs 2 stuffed fatties and a B-R-I-I-I-I-S-K-E-T done so P-E-R-R-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y-Y-Y... I changed nothing other than giving it slightly more air. The ambient air temperature varied from summer to winter 140 degrees.

(actual numbers of meats were changed to sound more like the 12 days of BBQ)

As Brethren who do we give credit to for inventing the UDS.

They should be in the BBQ Brethren Fall of Fame. (wink wink) er (oink oink)

aquablue22
01-29-2010, 08:30 AM
what?, I didn't see a thing........

chambersuac
01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
did you take any pictures!

Teleking
01-29-2010, 09:28 AM
It does get mighty cold out there for sure. My parents are in Watertown and I have a lot of family in the Sioux Falls area.

Last time I was out there for Christmas a few years back the ambient temp. never got above 0 for the whole week. Don’t even get me started in the wind chill, yikes.

h20loo
01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Blueshound- next time you fire it up you should put a piece of cardboard or a heavy blanket over the lid and watch the effect it has. With the temps you get I would be crawling under the blanket!

Diver
01-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure none of that actually happened. :wink:

blueshound75
01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I would have to say some of the easiest cooking on the smoker was when the temp was well below freezing around -10 degrees to about 20 degrees..

NorthwestBBQ
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Got pics?

Bogus Chezz Hawg
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Sure you did!! :lol:

No pictures, it didn't happen!

Gerrit_Boys
01-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I hear ya man, I've been cooking the last couple of weekends by Huron. That weather last weekend was killer but my charcoal dropper didn't notice. Maybe a little more coal is all. Are you guys having another contest in Aber. this summer? I had a good time there last year!!

Learnin Querve
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I believe ya' Blueshound. Fingers are too valuable to take off gloves trying to shoot pics.

My wife's family is from out in Walworth County and I've been there in the winter many times. We were there one Christmas and the air temp was -37F. The following summer for July 4th we were there and it was 113 in Mobridge one day. Talk about extremes...

Chris

IRubMyMeat BBQ
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I live in St Louis and it is 21f right now and a wind of 15mph. I use a BGE and i love the way it keeps its heat. Will put the butt on at midnight my time, drink some beers till 2am or so to make sure i still have the same heat then will go to bed. Wake up around 10 or so pull it out wrap it in foil and then take it to my nephews birthday party. I do notice i need to turn the bottom vent away from the wind but no need to blanket it. I will have to put the umbrella over it because snow is coming. Will post pics if i can find the cord for my camera.

eclipse507
01-30-2010, 01:11 AM
AS i type this its 7 F. here in MN. I plan on trying my first winter smoke on Sunday. Theres a forecast of 18 Degrees then. I will be smoking a pork butt, and some ribs for the wife.........I'll let you all know how it goes!!

blueshound75
01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Here are some pics.. (note the temp when i started cooking)

aquablue22
01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Now we're talking, very nice looking butt, Thanks for sharing......Stay Warm..

blueshound75
01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I hear ya man, I've been cooking the last couple of weekends by Huron. That weather last weekend was killer but my charcoal dropper didn't notice. Maybe a little more coal is all. Are you guys having another contest in Aber. this summer? I had a good time there last year!!

I believe they will have another cook this year.. I was unable to participate last year my wife planned vacation with her folks for their anniversary.. I offered to stay home but that went over like a lead zepplin