PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with a Komodo cooker?

Fmart322
01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I found one on craigs list in the next town over. They are asking $575.oo for it. It looks pretty cook, almost like a BGE. I've never heard of that brand before but that's really not saying much because I'm pretty new to smoking and such. Anyway, here's the link for it.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/1565821336.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3k63me3pa5O95P55Rda1md914b11f2195124f.jpg

jack040806
01-24-2010, 09:42 AM
I believe Kamado refers to the style cooker there, it also may be a brand name but if it is I don't think that is one. Personally if they are asking that much for it I would wait and get a bge or equivalent. The little extra cash is worth the peace of mind knowing that they have great customer service and if anything goes wrong they will be around.

Don Marco
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
That looks like a grill dome to me.

Funny :

Our product is the very best Kamado type cooker out there. Here's why:

Versitility. It bakes, roasts, BBQ's and smokes. Just a handfull of chips and a few briquettes will provide hours of slow cooking!

Retains Heat. Captures the juices and real flavor of foods through the magic of ancient Earthenware material.

Economical. Up to 80% of the briquettes are reusable.

Use in any weather. Kamados do not rust. In fact, many Kamados that are in use today, were sold by us in the early 70's.

Safe. Outside surface can be touched, even at high internal temperatures.

Attractive design, compliments any outdoor patio! Not a very good sales argument since those features actually apple to almost every Kamado Style cooker not just this one. :roll:
well, except that fact that no one recommends using briquettes.

For that price i´d suggest a BGE or Primo. Just a little more expensive but youll have full warranty on those when you buy new and you have a quality product.

DM

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
That looks like a grill dome to me.

that's what i thought.

Boat-n-BBQ
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Not a expert, but it looks like a grill dome to me too. I think the sell new for around $600-650?

Professor Salt
01-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Komodo Kamado is a specific brand of kamado style cooker. I have one. The one in the listing isn't it.

BSea
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a grill dome, and it does look very similar. A few things are different, but that may be due to it being older. My biggest concern is that he mentions using briquette. If he used briquette, then maybe he also used regular firestarter, which is not something you want in a ceramic cooker.

Another thing is I'm not sure it's the large size. If not, then that price is way out of line. If you are considering it, be sure the cooking grate is 18". Frankly, mine didn't cost much more brand new. But Grill Dome dealers are few, so I'd look locally 1st, and for the price difference, I'd buy new.

JONESY
01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I also have a grill dome, and that looks like their first generation design,late 1980's Grill dome is made in India, so it wouldent suprise me if someone bought the old casts and started making them again. It looks small like their medium size.

broschultz
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I have a grill dome also. They are constantly upgrading their product. Check the grill dome web site for prices. The legs on the one you are looking at are the same as mine. Much better to buy new unless there is a big savings. I don't see that here.

ecowise
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with most of the sentiment listed above... probably better to go new. I know the porcelain can absorb chemicals and that could be an issue if they used pressed charcoal or lighter fluid. Also check out the Big Green Egg or Primo if going new. I have a primo (and am somewhat biased because I sell them) but truth is they're both great cookers. The primo is 100% American made which helps clear my conscience. You can't take away the advances that BGE has made for marketing position and bringing this style cooker to the market place. All's good. We are listed in the store section of the site, theoutdoorstore.us and we do sell online we also take care of bro's