PDA

View Full Version : salmon filets on sale; wild or farm raised?

Mark
02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Here in St. Louis, Schnuks has wild salmon filets for $2.99 and Shop n Save has salmon filets for $2 (I assume farm raised). Latlely, there's been some contorversy about farm raised salmon; some kind of nasty cooties. Anybody have any opinions on what I should buy?

parrothead
02-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Buy the cootie free version.

Don't know Mark, I haven't heard a word about farm raised having problems.

racer_81
02-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Given the choice between wild salmon and farm raised salmon, I'd pick the pork ribs.

Seems like the farm raised salmon had a higher "cootie" concentration so people were
advised to not eat them too often, no more than once a week or something like that.

Maybe one of our NW brethren remembers......

tommykendall
02-27-2004, 09:29 AM
I heard about the salmon cootie issue awhile back. What you really need to look for is specie. Don't buy king (chinook) salmon, as they generally aren't as flavorful. You want Atlantic, Coho, probably some others that aren't coming to mind. From there, look for freshness and price.

racer_81
02-27-2004, 01:40 PM
OK. I did a www.dogpile.com search on "farm raised salmon".

Lots of stuff popped up. 2 things may be of concern.

1 - farm raised salmon are fed some sort of colorative so they become pink.

2 -a study said that farm raised salmon had higher concentrations of PCB's and Mercury
than did wild salmon. You may want to read about that. My take is that although
the levels were higher, they're still under the guidelines for US consumption.

Eugene

Mark
02-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks all

racer_81
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
so, what are gonna pick?

Mark
02-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Wifey wants the wild. She said someone died from farm raised. No use arguing.

brdbbq
02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Let me know if it makes her wild. I will try it on mine.

racer_81
02-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Wifey wants the wild. She said someone died from farm raised. No use arguing.

Amen. Men cannot win arguments with women.

Wife is sick today - vomiting and worse. So I stayed home to help and work from home.
Went to store to get meds, took wife's car. Opened sun roof. It wouldn't close. Got yelled at because obviously it is my fault the sun roof failed, since I opened it.

You know, Mark, fishermen die catching those wild salmon......

Mark
02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Using Copernic, I also did a search. Seems the PCB's might come from the bleach used for disinfecting the surfaces where salmon are processed.

Here's the info and link

An even greater threat to human health is the universal practice of sloshing liquid bleach water over surfaces in contact with the fish at all stages of catch and processing. Bleach is contaminated with Fast Garnet, Fast Green (azo dyes), benzene and PCBs, either purposely or accidentally during manufacture. Individually these are carcinogenic and immuno-suppressive. Together they are devastating. No wonder the breast cancer rates of health conscious educated women are higher. We were the ones who could afford to buy more of the fish we thought was protective.

A recent large retrospective study (PubMed) matched increased fish intake of all kinds in American women with increased incidence of breast cancer (not risk which is theoretical, but actual increased numbers of cancers). This research is alarming. It contradicts previous research (before the days when bleach was sloshed on everything?) that told us to eat more fish to prevent disease including cancer.

Swimming pool grade chlorine often does not contain these contaminants, so manufacturers ARE able to produce a clean product.

Many chicken processing plants use bleach liberally as well. Dr. Clark found the contaminants in chicken too.

Source: Hulda Clark, PhD, ND

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2004/01/10/farmraised_salmonpcb_levels_higher.htm

Jorge
02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Some days I wish I was one of those fishermen!

Mark
02-27-2004, 03:33 PM
A[pparently, you can remove most of the cooties if you discardthe skin of farm raised fish.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A12382-2004Jan13&notFound=true

Jorge
02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
An even greater threat to human health is the universal practice of sloshing liquid bleach water over surfaces in contact with the fish at all stages of catch and processing. Bleach is contaminated with Fast Garnet, Fast Green (azo dyes), benzene and PCBs, either purposely or accidentally during manufacture. Individually these are carcinogenic and immuno-suppressive. Together they are devastating. No wonder the breast cancer rates of health conscious educated women are higher. We were the ones who could afford to buy more of the fish we thought was protective.

Interesting, considering the use of bleach in the food service industry. I'm sure my wife will kill me before the bleach does though.....just ask her :!:

racer_81
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
[quote="

Dr. Clark found the contaminants in chicken too.

Source: Hulda Clark, PhD, ND[/b]

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2004/01/10/farmraised_salmonpcb_levels_higher.htm[/quote
]

Wonder what the ND stands for?

No D....

Mark
02-27-2004, 06:12 PM
I know what to do! Quit eating. Then I'll be safe.

Seriously though, "industry does get away with $hit; lets face it.

Even still, probably worse in the rest of the world from the sounds of it.

BBQchef33
02-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Sumthin else i read..... it may be in here, i didnt read the whole thread. Farm raised fish are more prone to infection due to the cooties in (filtered) pools with thousands of fish in it. so they inject the fish and water with antibiotics.

racer_81
02-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Sumthin else i read..... it may be in here, i didnt read the whole thread. Farm raised fish are more prone to infection due to the cooties in (filtered) pools with thousands of fish in it. so they inject the fish and water with antibiotics.

Therefore....non farm-raised stuff, such as road kill, should be better?

Mark
02-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah. I imagine its like swimnming in $hit soup.

rusold
02-27-2004, 06:57 PM
There are so many people out there with agendas and it is so easy to do web sites and find sympathetic "scientists" it hard to believe what is really true. The PETA types don't want fishing - the fishermen don't want aquaculture- the green people pretty much don't like either.

BTW Pork "culture" in North Carolina has pretty much distroyed the rivers and bays for fishing.

Finally, I would say that I bet there are more cooties in Galveston Bay in July/August than ever grow the whole year in farm pond in Nova Soctia

R

tommykendall
02-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Good point and most of us don't have any farking idea what crap is really in most of the stuff we eat. Today they target salmon - tomorrow they target Texoma peanuts.

tk

Heath
02-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Out here the "Farm Raised" are Atlantic salmon that are raised in pens they make with posts and fence in the shallows around the sound. I've seen some of them and they are in areas where the water flows to keep their water clean. Realisticly they are as clean as any other fish here in our sound. The problem we were having with the farm raised ones is they were dying them, either directly or with feed, so that they looked just like fresh salmon. So they just wanted them represented correctly. They taste close to the same for the uninitiated, but if its farm raised then call it farm raised. Now if you read the labeling on the farm raised packages it says they state it's farm raised and "color enhanced".

My .03

david
02-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Unless your trying wild and farm raised side by side you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

The farm raised tends to be a bit leaner (read that as: slightly less flavor), since they don't go out to sea and build up the fat that their wild bretheren have.

If we have a choice we buy the wild when it's on sale. The indians up here sell wild salmon along the side of the road for about 25 cents a pound when the salmon are running.