PDA

View Full Version : 90 day contest approval question

G$
01-19-2010, 08:00 AM
For the board, what is the intent or purpose of the KCBS rule that stipulates contests can not be approved if they are scheduled to occur sooner than 90 days from the sanctioning request?

Is there an exception process , and when was the last time a contest was approved despite being less than 90 days in advance?

Thanks for any insight.

Merl
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
KCBS believes that most contest require a 6 mos time line. But our absolute is rule is 90 days. KCBS puts it name and reputation on the contest. We do not sanction contest that might or might not work in 30 days. We believe the 90 days is a minimum to have complied with all requirements.

There has been a push that we should bend the rules for certain organizers. I do not agree with that. I believe all organizers were created equally, and all of the rules should apply to each contest.

KCBS is about rules and the rules for organizers are just as important to applied to each as the rules for cooks.

That is a very brief explanation. There is so much more involved. Read the sanctioning agreement. An application less than 90 days is already out of compliance with the requirements for sanctioning.

The policy is for the benefit of the cooks and all involved. We have enough issues over contest which try to change pay outs or do not pay as advertised.

Thank you for asking a very good question.
Merl

G$
01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Merl, as always.

Can you answer the part about any recent contests approved that came in under the 90 day rule?

Candy Sue
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Can you answer the part about any recent contests approved that came in under the 90 day rule?

I don't think there are any! From what I gather, this rule is set in concrete (and perhaps it shouldn't be!).

Just from my personal experience, one of the best contests I cooked was a licensed, not sanctioned (because of 90 days), contest in New Orleans at the Convention Center last August. The organizers couldn't get a commitment from the venue in time to make 90 days. Best new contest I've ever cooked. Excellent site, attentive staff/volunteers getting things done, good power and water. In my opinion, this contest would have been a real feather in KCBS's listing of sanctioned events. Thank goodness, there is a licensing agreement in place to at least provide structure for the contest.

LindaM
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM

No contests have been approved for sanctioning that fell within the 90 time limit.

G$
01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
No contests have been approved for sanctioning that fell within the 90 time limit.

Thanks Linda.