PDA

View Full Version : Made my mind up on cooker,what kind and why

Alan in Ga
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I am going to briefly mirror what I put on my blog today. I want your feedback. I spent the better part of the day researching vertical smokers. I can see the advantages of the verts fuel consumption,temp control,no babysitting and easier to transport. That being said I look foreward to the challenge of babysitting a stickburner all night and knowing my actions were a factor in producing good product. I want to learn this art the oldfashioned way. Call me nuts and I have nothing agianst verticals but I want to earn my stripes in this sport. I want to show my kids what can be accomplished through hard work doing something you love. Don't get me wrong all the verts I looked at today I would love to have and want to cook on. I have decided to go the offset route and have opportunity to get a 250 R-Flow that has been cooked on 5 times for about $1500. Price had some to do with decesion but challenge had to do more.http://www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/

BRBBQ
01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I did the all nighter's, sucked for me. Now I have an Ole Hichory CTO. You can set it and forget on gas, propane or use Lump charcoal. I need to make a bigger fire basket for the lump, I only get around 6 hr burn. Some guys I talk to use charcoal, heck I tried charcoal. I just turn the thermomstat to the desired temp and chill. Most people don't know what true Q is so they don't know if it's been cooked by wood, charcoal, propane, gas, electric or croc pot. I'm sure you will like it.

Teleking
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
electric or croc pot.

Yeah.... No Smoke ring comes to mind:wink:

NorthwestBBQ
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Call me nuts

You're nuts. :-P It looks like a nice rig.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bAPwzOSK1Cs/S0k56QWKUUI/AAAAAAAAABE/0el5cxRswUE/S150/64476111_o.jpg

tjus77
01-14-2010, 07:56 PM
congrats, I am sure you will enjoy it. remember after some practice you will get the hang of what the temp is by the smoke and the size of the fire. don't get too hung up on being EXACTLY 225 all the time. The temp will fluctuate, even when you have the perfect fire because the wind dies down or picks up for a minute or two. What you are looking for is the temp to stay in the range when it settles. if you don't like to play with the fire that much, go get a stoker and it will do it for you.... have fun!

Papa Payne
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Be sure to keep us posted on your jounery with the stick burner.

Papa

SirPorkaLot
01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I am going to briefly mirror what I put on my blog today. I want your feedback. I spent the better part of the day researching vertical smokers. I can see the advantages of the verts fuel consumption,temp control,no babysitting and easier to transport. That being said I look foreward to the challenge of babysitting a stickburner all night and knowing my actions were a factor in producing good product. I want to learn this art the oldfashioned way. Call me nuts and I have nothing agianst verticals but I want to earn my stripes in this sport. I want to show my kids what can be accomplished through hard work doing something you love. Don't get me wrong all the verts I looked at today I would love to have and want to cook on. I have decided to go the offset route and have opportunity to get a 250 R-Flow that has been cooked on 5 times for about $1500. Price had some to do with decesion but challenge had to do more.http://www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/

I commend you for not taking the easy way out. The art (see my signature) of bbq cooked over live wood coals (or in a smoker driven by live wood coals) is being lost as gas, electric & pellets take over.
What with gurus & stokers, well insulated boxes with gravity fed chutes, and such, it is easy to understand why.

There is a thread posted on here today about the last natural smoke house in Chicago.

I would encourage any one entering into the art of Q to learn fire & heat management the way you are forced to learn with a stick burner.

I do not want to take away anything from the old timers that have paid their dues by staying up all night to baby their pit in the past, and now are just interested in making good Q without all the hassle.
So called set & forget cookers have their place in BBQ, and 50 years from now it will seem ancient and archaic to cook on anything else (it is rapidly getting to that point in some areas now)

I am on record as giving people crap on this site for their pellet poopers and clay pots fired with weed burners - all just in fun, but I am a old school BBQ guy and do believe I need to continue to extol the virtues of live coals cooking (stick burners)

So to hear you say you passed on a vertical cooker to go with a horizontal stick burner to (in part) to learn from the ground up, and to teach your children the value of hard work shows there is hope for this ancient & archaic technique.

If i can ever do any thing to help you along your way, do not hesitate to ask.

Congrats on your new cooker!

Note: i am not trying to start a debate on cooker types here, just offering an opinion i feel strongly about

Lake Dogs
01-14-2010, 08:09 PM

You got a Bubba Grill's smoker! Good job. That's exactly what I was
looking for when I found the Lang 60 that I now have. Pretty much
same/same. Lonnie (Bubba) makes a great cooker. You'll enjoy it for
many years to come.

Also, I agree with you. I'd researched too, and must admit, I've got
a place in my heart for a Stumps... However, I actually enjoy staying
up all night, sleeping in shifts if you have to, and the art of managing
the temperatures and the smoke. Nothing against those who dont,
and I dont expect any special treatment/scoring. I just enjoy the
"getting back to basics" part of it...

Best of luck, and hope to see you guy's around. We're having a team
meeting this weekend to discuss which cookoffs we'll go to this year.
We'll definitely be at Lake Oconee (KCBS) in September. Looking
seriously at Boss Hog (KCBS) in May, GON (GBA) Macon in July/August,
and will probably be at the FBA cookoff in Barnesville and also probably
Deep Roots (MBN) in October.

Congrats!!!!

1_T_Scot
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Congrats We'll be looking for Pron off the new smoker.