PDA

View Full Version : Storing butt, to pull or not to pull?

Codeman
01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
The butt I have on the smoker is for this weekend. Should I pull it tonight and put it in bags or leave it whole and pull it then? From what I have read I would assume do it tonight after it comes off and rests?

toadhunter911
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I would do it tonight after resting. And I would use a food saver if you have one.

1969x11
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I have done it both ways... I prefer to slice it thick and thaw what I need in the oven at about 400. Thawed some today that way and it was still mighty fine.

Bbq Bubba
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Pull it tonight and bag it with the juice.

I have done it both ways... I prefer to slice it thick and thaw what I need in the oven at about 400. Thawed some today that way and it was still mighty fine.

Slice?

peaspurple
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Imho I would pull after resting then to the fridge, Just easier to me this way!!

Contracted Cookers
01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I would pull and vacum or plastic wrap double . if you re heat the whole thing back to temps . some of it will dry out. if you do big chunks it is not as bad. reheating you have to get the fat broke down again. pull and sauce bring it back easy

Saiko
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
As others have said, if you have a foodsaver or other vacuum type sealer, that is a great way to reheat any BBQ. For pork, I just pull/chop everything then vacuum pack them in 1-2 lb. bags, some in the freezer some in the fridge. To reheat, just simmer in water that has been brought to a boil for 20-30 minutes.
The only down-side is you loose a little crispness on the bark since it basically steams itself in the bag. The upside is you get meat that is probably more moist than when you pulled it off the smoker.

Codeman
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys its been resting for close to an hour now. I'm getting ready to go pull it, no food saver I'll just bag it and squeeze out the excess air.

Rookie'48
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM
You're going to do it the right ^^^^^ way. Also it will cool down easier (faster) when pulled first.

Smokinrubcom
01-14-2010, 05:09 AM
remember not to freeze it until it has cooled down to room temp.

Mike

RubMeTender
01-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Pull it tonight and bag it with the juice.

Slice?

I also was confused by this statement. Slicing is for tenderloins!

sterlingsmoker
01-14-2010, 07:35 AM
I always pull mine before freezing.

Codeman
01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I may have mis-spoke just a bit I wasn't planning to freeze it it'll just be in the fridge, I pulled it and bagged it. Other than burned fingertips :mrgreen: it seems to have worked great.

http://james.semoatvriders.com/Smoker/01-13-10/P1130117.JPG

http://james.semoatvriders.com/Smoker/01-13-10/P1130119.JPG

Dale in GA
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
If I plan to freeze pork I break into large chunks, foodsave, then pull chunks after re-heating (usually simmering water bath). Not scientific, but I believe the pork stays a bit more moist after re-heating this way than with all pulled prior to freezing...

Jay Bird
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
As others have said, if you have a foodsaver or other vacuum type sealer, that is a great way to reheat any BBQ. For pork, I just pull/chop everything then vacuum pack them in 1-2 lb. bags, some in the freezer some in the fridge. To reheat, just simmer in water that has been brought to a boil for 20-30 minutes.
The only down-side is you loose a little crispness on the bark since it basically steams itself in the bag. The upside is you get meat that is probably more moist than when you pulled it off the smoker.

What Saiko said works really well for me. Nice moist meat.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM

I agree. This is my method of choice.
If you don't pull after the initial cook / rest, you will have to reheat the butt in the oven to "loosen" it up from sitting in the fridge overnight. I never tried to pull a cold butt. I just know it would be next to impossible.

Mad Max
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree, sometimes, I pull it and mix it with some homemade bbq sauce and vacuum seal it.

E Mellow
01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Vacuum seal in bags. Place fozen bags in boiling water unto thawed/cooked.

jestridge
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
In my opinion keep it whole then put in oven and heat up wrap in foil also add some apple juice or beef broth to keep it moist or throw a stick of butter .

BRBBQ
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
After it cools a little, I saran wrap the whole thing. Once you pull it, it gets air on it and I hate the leftover taste. Use a Vac sealer if you have one.

1969x11
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I also was confused by this statement. Slicing is for tenderloins!
I meant that I cut it in thick chunks then freeze sorry if it was bad advice.:wink: