PDA

View Full Version : Jambo Pits?

blueshound75
01-13-2010, 08:22 AM
I was wondering if Jambo pits are reverse flow or how it is they actually work?

early mornin' smokin'
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
i dont own one, but looking at the pics of the pits, the smoke stack is opposite of the firebox which leads me to believe its a normal flow with tuning plates. But im sure someone with some actual knowledge of the pit will chime in shortly. They are sweet pits thou.

drbbq
01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
No tuning plates. The stack is down at grate level and the firebox is heavily insulated. That's pretty much it.

jonboy
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Does having the stack down to grate level retain the smoke or allow a cleaner burn?
Not really familiar with the principle.
Thanks,
jon

Jorge
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Does having the stack down to grate level retain the smoke or allow a cleaner burn?
Not really familiar with the principle.
Thanks,
jon

The heat and smoke that are coming from the firebox need someplace to go. The placement of the exhaust is drawing it over/around the meat. From the limited exposure I've had and what I've heard from those that own a Jambo, it does just about everything a reverse flow or pit with tuning plates will do.

tony76248
01-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't get too caught up in what type of flow a Jambo utilizes, that said, they are not reverse flow. I say that because with all the comps they win, does it matter?

I see them all the time here with IBCA cook teams, these cookers do very well in comps. Remember that they are not all that big and they are basically offset competition cookers, you wouldn't cater with them. The things that makes a Jambo so good is the quality of the build. Second to none! Anyone who owns or has inspected one up close can see that. They also offer consistant cooking temps front to back. That said, they cost $7500 or which $1500 is the paint job. They really need to come with a garage.

Actually I would buy one tomorrow if I had a third garage. My wife has seen them and told me to go get one but she isn't moving her car from the garage.

Jorge
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't get too caught up in what type of flow a Jambo utilizes, that said, they are not reverse flow. I say that because with all the comps they win, does it matter?

I see them all the time here with IBCA cook teams, these cookers do very well in comps. Remember that they are not all that big and they are basically offset competition cookers, you wouldn't cater with them. The things that makes a Jambo so good is the quality of the build. Second to none! Anyone who owns or has inspected one up close can see that. They also offer consistant cooking temps front to back. That said, they cost $7500 or which $1500 is the paint job. They really need to come with a garage.

Actually I would buy one tomorrow if I had a third garage. My wife has seen them and told me to go get one but she isn't moving her car from the garage.

Tony, because you are a friend....I'll offer you my garage. I'll PM my address and you go ahead and make that call.

Dustaway
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Hell I'll even move my boat out of mine and bring it to you when you need it just saying....

tony76248
01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Gee.... thanks guys!!!!

I'll let the wife know.

I actually looked into a storage space for this exact reason.

:wink:

OutlawSwine
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Gee.... thanks guys!!!!

I'll let the wife know.

That Texas weather may damage that fine cooker. Since you twisted my arm, you can drop off at my house here in Bama and I will keep it for you.

ique
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

I keep my car in the driveway (in New England all year) and my Jambo in the garage. :oops:

As Ray said, no tuning plates or reverse flow. The barrel is open, I like this because I am not a fan of the flavor dripping fat burning on a metal plate produces.

The design is very simple but on the other hand a lot of thought went into airflow on these pits. One thing that is different than most off-sets is temps are controlled by the exhaust only. The intake vent is fixed (although adjustable with a wrench). Very easy to burn a 100% clean fire. The exhaust is at grate level, here is a pic...

Crüe-B-Cüe
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Gee.... thanks guys!!!!

I'll let the wife know.

I'd be happy to sell you one of these...

http://www.metro-lifts.com/images/7000.jpg

Jorge
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd be happy to sell you one of these...

http://www.metro-lifts.com/images/7000.jpg

If you are willing to deal, and the paperwork is in order I want to bid on the car on the bottom:mrgreen:

RichardF
01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Gee.... thanks guys!!!!

I'll let the wife know.

you were gonna put the wife in storage? why didn't i think of that :roll:

If you are willing to deal, and the paperwork is in order I want to bid on the car on the bottom:mrgreen:

what now - you wanna be like magnum p.i.? his was red

Crüe-B-Cüe
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Actually, I meant the lift! :biggrin:

The_Kapn
01-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I had the PLEASURE of cooking on Gordon's (GB's BBQ) Jambo at Douglas last Oct.

I was a bit taken aback with no inlet air control, but discovered that Jamie has it wired as far as airflow goes.
Just a tweak here and there on the exhaust and it nailed the temp anywhere from the low 200's to mid 300's.
With that insulated firebox, refuel was approaching 2 houirs or more.

The grate temp to the firebox side was noticably hotter.
Easy to predict and use to your advantage.

"Show Stopper" workmanship drew lots of folks to check it out closer! :lol:

If I was ever FORCED to return to stick burning, Jambo is the way to go for me. :lol:

TIM

QDoc
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I have observed someone cooking on a Jambo and what struck me most was the large size of the firebox relative to the cooking chamber. There is a lot of room in the firebox for a nice small clean fire. The baffles coming out of the firebox are designed to direct the heat flow in a more horizontal direction across the grates rather than toward the top of the chamber. While the chicken cooker (drawers) looked cool it was not used. The cooking chamber doors were sealed with hi-temp silicone. In the above photo the top shelf on the left was used to speed the cook ( higher temp) if needed. The temp registered around 250-275 so I guessed around 300 for the top shelf. As another poster mentioned this is a high end comp cooker and not a catering rig.

ique
01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I have observed someone cooking on a Jambo and what struck me most was the large size of the firebox relative to the cooking chamber.

And a very large exhaust stack as well. Very important part of the design. Kinda like a sports car with a small body and a HUGE engine.

blueshound75
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it an unwritten rule that you will be a stick burner or can you use charcoal or lump?

DarrelB
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Ique .. I see by your pic that the opening from the firebox into the cooking chamber is at and up from the cooking grate /rack ..Is there a opening down below the main cooking grate also ?? I sure would appreciate a pic of the opening between the 2 chambers ..

Boshizzle
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
If I could buy one pit that costs $10,000.00 it would be a Jambo. But, you know, it's $10,000.00+ freakin' dollars after you add the features.

ThomEmery
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Yep a feller needs him at least one

monty3777
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
If I could buy one pit that costs $10,000.00 it would be a Jambo. But, you know, it's $10,000.00+ freakin' dollars after you add the features.

Where do you get these numbers? On his page he has J-3, the model he cooks with, priced at $7500. The only feature offered beyond that is a chrome smokestack for $200.

The next level up (j-4) will cost you that much and more!

Boshizzle
01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
The J5 model. $12,000.00 + $1600.00 with side boxes.

BTW - Anyone competing with a Jambo backyard model?

NorthwestBBQ
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM

No one on BBQ Pitmasters is using the J5 model.

monty3777
01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
No one on BBQ Pitmasters is using the J5 model.

Johnny Trigg is

yogi
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
The only difference between men and boys is the size and price of their toys.

Cliff H.
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I hung out with Double D last year at Smoke on the Water in Little Rock. He had his fire box in the tent with us but because of the quality of the insulated box we froze our asses off. It was a miserable experience weather wise but that pit was on blue smoke cruze control.

blues_n_cues
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
i never knew jaime johnny or jambo but i just learned they're a few blocks from my kids in burleson/alvarado,tx.
we got frind(smokin' scotsmen that won their first 2 GC's w/ their tony stewart orange jambo- says something for consistency

i'd buy 1 if i didn't have a hard on for a BW COMPETITOR W/ GURU...:twisted:

blues_n_cues
01-31-2010, 10:18 PM

considering his site is down now- last price i saw for the deluxe.. was $7500

ask walt & theresa the price for the winning design..

Urbs
05-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone on here use his backyard model? It's competitive price makes it very attractive to me. I don't have a need for his larger models but his 24 x 48 would be perfect at my house. Curious how it manages temps. If it's any better than any other stick burner aka horizon or any of them. Thanks

thillin
05-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Anyone on here use his backyard model? It's competitive price makes it very attractive to me. I don't have a need for his larger models but his 24 x 48 would be perfect at my house. Curious how it manages temps. If it's any better than any other stick burner aka horizon or any of them. Thanks

I saw one at a comp that was raffled off. Looked pretty nice. Looked like his trailer pits, only smaller.

gtsum
08-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I just found his website (I did not know he had backyard models). I am very interested in the backyard model as well...seems to be very attractively priced considering the insulated firebox and workmanship...I would guess they are pretty fuel efficient (as far as stick burners go). This backyard model may have just went to the top of my list!

jestridge
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
They sure have a huge firebox and a nice price.