PDA

View Full Version : Sausage making with Bobby Keilbaska

bingo1912
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Bobby and I have been trading skills, he's teaching me to make Kielbasa and I'm teaching him to make bacon and back bacon. He usually adds water to loosen the mix, we tried a couple of pounds with a nice white wine and some red pepper flakes. WOW was it ever good!
We are investigating the possibility of opening a New York style deli in the neighborhood. Making food for others and having the freedom to experiment is a lifelong dream of mine. Here are some pics.
Bing

D0ughB0y
01-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow. That looks awesome and I'm envious of the kitchen!

landarc
01-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Dang you people and all these shots of sausage, lovely lovely sausage.

Timmy
01-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Wait! I think I see something wrong. You better box all these up and send them to me NOW!! DO NOT DELAY!!!!
Them look good...I'll take 2.

NorthwestBBQ
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Bing, great post! How do you stuff them so well?

swamprb
01-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Nice pics Bing! Did you smoke any of the sausages?

I'd love to see more!

got14u
01-11-2010, 12:31 AM
So what kind where the kielbasas ? they look great !

Ron_L
01-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Very nice! Is Bobby willing to share the Kielbasa recipe?

BTW, I love the smokehouse!

BBQ Grail
01-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Awesome. I sure would like more details on that smokehouse. Like how to build one! Anything would be helpful, really...

MattG
01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
SAUSAGE, Man that looks good. No matter if we are smoking or grilling we always cook up some sausage. I would love to learn how to do that. Any tips or recipes ?

EatonHoggBBQ
01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Sausage looks Deeeeeeeeeelicious. I'm envious of your smokehouse.

thirdeye
01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
The sausage looks great! Say if you like using wine for your liquid, try this recipe next time. It has Romano in it too. Makes for a wonderful combination of flavors. I bump the amount from the original recipe. I also stay with dextrose as it won't steal the delicate sweetness from the Pinot Grigro like regular sugar can.

Sicilian Italian with Wine & Cheese (10 lb. recipe)
R. Kutas

This is a particular favorite of my friend Tom. I don't think I have ever seen him make less than a 20 pound batch of it. This is a teaser recipe that comes from the Rytek Kutas book titled Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. If you are serious about sausage making, you need this book in your library. The Ingredient Store (http://www.theingredientstore.com/generalstore/product_details/1590.htm)carries it along with many supplies.

8 lb. pork butts
2 lb. lean beef (I omit the beef & add 2 more lb. of butt)
2T powdered dextrose (fine sugar will work, but dextrose is less sweet)
1T cracked black pepper
4T kosher salt
3 t fennel seed
2 T crushed red peppers
2 C Pinot Grigio
6T good romano cheese, crumbled (I bump this amt. to 10 T)

Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff.

got14u
01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
x2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Very nice! Is Bobby willing to share the Kielbasa recipe?

BTW, I love the smokehouse!

Mad Max
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
great looking sausage and really like your smoke house.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
what a smoke house!
Amazing grub!

Phubar
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm impressed!

bingo1912
01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
SAUSAGE, Man that looks good. No matter if we are smoking or grilling we always cook up some sausage. I would love to learn how to do that. Any tips or recipes ?

I'm not sure what all Bobby put in there. He has such a heavy accent it took me a while to figure out what Miram was. Said he had to have his Canadian friends bring it down for him. After looking at the package I finally figured out he was trying to say,,, Majoram LMAO!!!
His is Polish and when his father was visiting from Poland a couple of years ago he built it for Bobby.
I really like the fact that the doors are solid plate steel, the firebox is about 6 feet from the smoke chamber so the smoke has a little time to cool.
They installed a couple of 3/4" pipes on either side and I have a small geared motor and a piece of stainless so we can mount a rotisserie on it this summer, just gotta figure out the bearing sizes and all the finer details. Bobby and his wife Eva have been doing this for years so I have the benefit of their experience. You can buy all this equipment from your local BBQ store I would imagine.

leanza
01-11-2010, 07:22 PM
What fantastic pictures. Those sausages look outstanding. What a great set up with a home grown Polish sausage maker. I would love to hear more about his last name.

bingo1912
01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Bobby Kielbasa is what I call him, that isn't his real last name, I'm not allowed to divulge that on pain of being turned into Kielbasa lol
I suppose I would taste good,,, kinda fatty and sweet though,,

anamosity
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Nice job, looks like you guys went through some pork.