01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Pig Brittle? I'd try this for sure....

From Highways magazine Jan 2010:

2 cups granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons butter and extra to grease the pan
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 strips of smoky bacon
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle or cayenne

Set out a cookie sheet and grease it with butter. Cook the bacon any way you like until it is super crispy. Dry with a paper towel and let cool. Chop as finely as possible (think dust) Reserve.

In a saucepan over medium high heat, add sugar. Stir constantly for approximately four minutes or until sugar melts into a light-golden liquid. (If lumps develop, keep stirring. They'll melt away) Keep stirring for approximately two more minutes or until the liquid turns the color or butter-scotch. (Don't walk away!!!) Remove from heat and immediately stir in the 2T of butter. Then add the baking soda and mix thoroughly. Stir in the bacon and chipotle. Pour onto the greased cookie sheet and let cool until hard, approximately 15 minutes. Break into bite sized pieces. Store in an airtight jar and guard with your life.

And let the rest of us know if you make this and if it is as good as it sounds.:grin:

Big George's BBQ
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
That sounds really good

cowgirl
01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I make bacon brittle... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/09/for-bacon-lovers.html
The addition of cayenne would be wonderful! :cool:

01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I make peanut brittle in a micorwave and it is fantastic. I am going to substitute the peanuts for bacon and try it.

Ron_L
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been making this for three or four years and it is very good. I posted pics a while ago. I'll try to track then down.

TysDad
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I make bacon brittle... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/09/for-bacon-lovers.html

Oooohhh, the pictures made me hungry!! As always with your photos....

I see the recipe in the magazine and want to share with all of you --- only to find out that you are way ahead of a bunch of RV'ers.

Can't wait to try it. The perfect dessert after a 'regular' pig candy appetizer and pulled pork sandwiches maybe? or too much?

Bigdog
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Yes, some of us use significant amounts of cayenne. :icon_cool

Rookie'48
01-05-2010, 11:36 PM

Any one that I know? :rolleyes:

DaChief
01-06-2010, 07:23 AM

True, I still remember that pig candy you were handing out. I definitely upped my cayenne and got maple flavored bacon after that. It is always around for parties and doesn't last very long at all!

Jay Bird
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Paul & Cowgirl. Never tried this. Will attempt to sneak this in on Momma before she knows what hit her.

Jet2
01-07-2010, 05:15 PM
That's gotta be good! I'm going to have to try that this weekend.

KnightOfTears
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Now this sounds like something that would be very flavorful!! Also, the link cowgirl provided has a wonderful recipe as well. I will try both very soon. Thank you for sharing.