PDA

View Full Version : Best Christmas present ever! Thanks Grandma Ash! Recipe Pron

Ashmont
12-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Some of you know that I lost my mother in March. Well Grandpa Grandpa Ash who is not known for cooking anything that doesn't come in a box and needs to be microwaved gave me her recipe box last night. I would like to keep her legacy going through the Brethren and Sisterin. Here is the first of many I will be sharing. Enjoy and Grandma Ash Merry Christmas. Feel free to add or change the recipe to you liking. As you can see she fits in here.... Look at the BACON!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0004.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0006.jpg

landarc
12-25-2009, 11:54 AM
What a great thought Ashmont, very thoughtful of your dad as well, too often these things get lost.

Neil
12-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Great way to keep the traditions and memories alive.

Kevin
12-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Bracioli from the heart land. I love it. Thanks Ash.

Rich Parker
12-25-2009, 12:01 PM
That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing

roxikitties7
12-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing... I would have LOVED my Grammas

LMAJ
12-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Very cool - thanks for sharing.

Ron_L
12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Very cool, Ash. Do you mnd if I try it out?

Ashmont
12-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Very cool, Ash. Do you mnd if I try it out?

You bet! That is why I will be posting these for everyone to carry them on...

n-2-que
12-25-2009, 12:23 PM
wow thanks and merry christmas

jack040806
12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
That is an awesome recipe and now we can also trace the origins or the fatty, anyone else notice a striking similarity, I think Ash's grandma need be given the credit for that culinary masterpiece.

BobBrisket
12-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Way cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Ashmont
12-25-2009, 12:54 PM
That is an awesome recipe and now we can also trace the origins or the fatty, anyone else notice a striking similarity, I think Ash's grandma need be given the credit for that culinary masterpiece.

Yes I did notice that while posting. It is actually Italian by origin which is also a part of my heritage along with Irish German and Prussian.

Ksmoker1
12-25-2009, 01:30 PM
too cool. Priceless.

deguerre
12-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks Ash, Merry Christmas!

Skidder
12-25-2009, 01:40 PM
A fantastic tribute to share with all of us. Thanks so much

BBQ Grail
12-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Ash! I love those old recipes.

Would it be okay if we post our pictures as we make them in this thread? Maybe someday we can have a Grandma Ash THROWDOWN!

ipls3355
12-25-2009, 01:51 PM
any recipe that calls for bacon fat has go to be excellent. Thanks for sharing

BBQ Grail
12-25-2009, 01:53 PM
any recipe that calls for bacon fat has go to be excellent. Thanks for sharing

I love the old recipes. No pretending...it's BACON FAT!

Redheart
12-25-2009, 03:01 PM
That is really a neat gift idea. The gift that keeps on giving and remembering.

Danny
12-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Not only is this a touching story, especially at Christmas time, but the recipe sounds like good ol' down home cooking to me. I will be making this in the near furture, Ashmont. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Danny

Paulmark
12-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Ash..it's like my grandmother's I'd love to try your version. Merry Christmas here's my families version.
1/2 cup dried Italian-style bread crumbs
1 garlic clove, minced
2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak

Roll tie and brown, remove add wine to pan reduce by half add tomato sauce and bracioli, cover with foil and cook @350 for 90 min turning every 30min.

1 cup dry white wine
3 1/4 cups Simple Tomato sauce

Smokey The Pig
12-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to future recipes:-D

Plowboy
12-25-2009, 06:41 PM
My mother passed when I was 14. In college, my sister (younger) gathered all of her recipes and put them in a book for me. It contained a lot of the dishes we enjoyed as kids and most are in my mom's hand writing. A cherished keepsake, indeed.

cowgirl
12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for sharing that Ash! I bet your Gramma was an excellent cook. :-D

Ashmont
12-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Ash! I love those old recipes.

Would it be okay if we post our pictures as we make them in this thread? Maybe someday we can have a Grandma Ash THROWDOWN!

Please post the pron here as I will be posting more of her recipes in the coming days and months. I saw one cut out of a Family Circle magazine dated 1967 cant remember what it was but there is alot to go through... Next time I am at the farm I am going to find Great Grandmas Ash's recipes. I do want to make sure these are past down and to everyone here. Merry Christmas!

Ashmont
12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Too Late for Christmas but might want to try these simple cookies for New Years Eve. These were handed down by Great Grandma Ash to Grandma Ash Many years ago. I remember them well as a young child. This is a no bake cookie recipe. Once the get onto the wax paper you just let them cool. So without further a dew Great Grandma Ash's Chocolate-Peanut Butter Drops..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/Peanutbuttercookiesbr.jpg

WannaBeBBQueen
12-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Yummy, thanks for sharing!!

nolaman
12-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Ash, I know how much those recipes mean to you . I missed out on my Grandma's files after my parents passed away.I lived out of state, and my siblings got first pick at every thing. My wife wrote a cookbook for our 3 boys. Each recipe is hand written. Each section started with a copy of a photo of that child growing up. Each is a personal book of recipes she's collected of food the kids grew up with. Each page is in a plastic sleeve,and put in a note book,about 80 pages. Two of our boys lost every thing in Katrina, so she is making new ones. Keep the memories alive, pass down the traditions. Merry Christmas!

Ashmont
12-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Last one for today!!!! Ought Oh MSG :eek:

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0013.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0014.jpg

txschutte
12-26-2009, 09:39 PM
A gift to all of us from Gramma Ash. Neither of my Grammas were cooks, so to speak. Everyday cooking was for the wimmenfolk. Special meals were always cooked by the men. Weird, I know.

Lucky man, Marty.

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-26-2009, 09:48 PM
That's a great tribute!

chibi
12-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Last one for today!!!! Ought Oh MSG :eek:

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0013.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/DSCI0014.jpg

I saw this and the first thing that popped in my head-- "No soup for you"
:-P

mtomto
12-27-2009, 08:04 AM
A Quarter Cup bacon fat AND Quarter Cup shortening...ya gotta love that!!!

mtomto
12-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Too Late for Christmas but might want to try these simple cookies for New Years Eve. These were handed down by Great Grandma Ash to Grandma Ash Many years ago. I remember them well as a young child. This is a no bake cookie recipe. Once the get onto the wax paper you just let them cool. So without further a dew Great Grandma Ash's Chocolate-Peanut Butter Drops..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/Peanutbuttercookiesbr.jpg

Wonderful stuff Mr Ashmont. We wish we would have captured all of my grandma's recipes on paper. Of course hers were all in her brain-file.

Question, any idea if she was adding 1/2 cup of cocoa powder or cocoa wet in these cookies? Sounds delish. I can see adding a little cocnut flake to these too.

Ashmont
12-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Yup still sorting! I think the categories will be Bacon Fat, Shortening and lard!:confused::lol:. There are some really good ones I remember.....

Phesant
12-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Way cool Ash... thanx for sharing

landarc
12-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Very cool stuff Ash. That no bake cookie looks great, for some reason cookies vex me.

Crüe-B-Cüe
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM
That's cool. When my grandmother died, my grandfather took all of her stuff out back and burned it. Including all of her recipe books. She did catering and had tons of recipes. Wish I had them. :cry:

Ashmont
12-27-2009, 02:02 PM
That's cool. When my grandmother died, my grandfather took all of her stuff out back and burned it. Including all of her recipe books. She did catering and had tons of recipes. Wish I had them. :cry:

In talking to family about the recipes from Great Grandma Ash were given to a neighbor of ours when she died. I will see them in mid Jan and hope that they are still around. So for all of our Brethren and Sisterin if you still have the chance spend some time with the family have them share their recipes and probably family stories of yesteryear even if you like them or not because somebody will! Maybe we can have a nostalgia thread with no horseplay to save these for eternity maybe little behind the men or women whom created them. Sorry no recipes today I am tired and working around the house fixing things... Ugh

Jay Bird
12-27-2009, 02:03 PM
What a great gift you , your grandmother & your grandfather have given us. I wonder if it has brought a tear to anyone elses eye as it has to mine. So many family treasures are routinely lost. My sincere thanks for sharing.

SaucyWench
12-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Yep, Jay Bird, brought a tear to my eye too. I have the recipe for red velvet cake that my mom always made for my birthday, hand-written by her cousin, with hopes it got to Mom in time for my big day. I'll always treasure it.
Years ago when they were in college, hubby's sister put together a little cookbook of their mom's recipes. MIL doesn't remember how to cook anymore, so I turned her meatloaf recipe into a mini-loaf, froze it & took it up for her & FIL at Christmas to have whenever. They've already eaten it, and from the way they raved, I think I need to take them more. The old recipes may not be our tastes today, but it sure is nice to have them.

"No time on Earth is long enough to share with those we love, or to prepare our hearts for good-bye."

Ashmont
12-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Wonderful stuff Mr Ashmont. We wish we would have captured all of my grandma's recipes on paper. Of course hers were all in her brain-file.

Question, any idea if she was adding 1/2 cup of cocoa powder or cocoa wet in these cookies? Sounds delish. I can see adding a little cocnut flake to these too.

I am thinking Cocoa Powder I dont thin 1 min boil with real cocoa in enough time on heat and I think that would be more of a simmer cooking heat.

Garyclaw
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ash for the gift. Got a few of my Grandmas and Mothers recipes in my book; which is already titled on the cover "Kays' Dads' Recipes" for my daughter. She's a young wife and mother herself now and is always calling me for food advice. The book will be hers someday. Thanks again for the memories of YOUR family...and MINE too.

Ashmont
12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Here is today's offering Swiss Steak + Vegetables in Onion Soup!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/swiss.jpg

Big George's BBQ
12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
That is a Great Gift Thanks for sharing

Ashmont
12-30-2009, 10:58 AM
You wont believe this! Grandma Ash had a stash...... Was at my Grandpa Ash's yesterday to do somethings and said that I want first dibs on any cooking stuff of moms. That was not a big deal since now I am the only one the can actually cook (That is the truth) :rolleyes: When I went into moms hideaway craft area there was a book shelf full of old cookbooks and on the end were three leather bound home cookbooks that I know are more my families recipes from way yesteryear may even date back to the great great great era! Going back today to retrieve them and let the Grand kids get grandpa all riled up... :twisted: These are way older that I imagined.... Dont worry I will share for sure... I would only make me happier if some of you could help in making some of these and post some pics... I am gonna have to get more bacon fat and lard though unless I modernize them which prolly aint gonna happen....

Diver
12-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for sharing. Fantastic idea to share and keep the traditions alive.

SirPorkaLot
12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Ashmont,
Thanks for sharing.
This is a wonderful idea, and one that I hope many brethren take advantage of.
I for one will be trying some of these and posting the results.

Marry Christmas & Happy New year!

Mlukewow
12-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Ash,

What a great idea to preserve family recipies I ahve been trying to get my grandmother to share her recipie box with me and at 89 she is still very reluctant to give it to me this gives me a great idea to take my camera and just snap a shot. I get to keep ehr reciepies in her own hand writing that is something better than a copy in my writing.

Thanks for sharing and giving me a great way to get my hand on those family traditions.

Big Mike

Brauma
12-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Ash, this is a wonderful thing you're doing.

When my mom passed (years ago) I was scanning all of her recipes into soft copies. I happened to be chatting with Phil Poobah and he requested one in particular. I cant remember which one. But you should scan those and save them in different ways for your grandkids.