PDA

View Full Version : Official Tamale Hot Line Thread...

BobBrisket
12-22-2009, 11:43 PM
These little, wrapped goodies are a labor of LOVE......and FOOD! Let's make this the Tamale Thread. Let's pool our knowledge, tips, tricks, recipes etc, and make for a fun time.
I'm TIRED!!! Made about 110 tamales today. Half I made by myself. These were gifts for my neigbors this year. I delivered 1/2 dozen bags to neighbors in the cul de sac. I've made these when I was a little kid and my grandparents were still around, and I made these when I was still living at home, and now I'm still making em and showing my son the routine. Hopefully, he continues the tradition one day with his kids. My daughter, to small to make em, devoured one. Right now she's an eater, not a maker. LOL!
My dad came over to do some "Quality Control". He gave me a tip......you want to steam them for 30 minutes for each dozen you have in the pot. Keep it to a single layer.(med/high heat) The more layers, the more time. ALso, they don't cook evenly. Once time is up, take lid off the pot and let them air out till they cool off. As they cool, they will firm up.
Don't serve em right outta the pot and hot, cause they will be mushy. They need to air out and cool a bit.
Last tip........see if you can eat fewer than me. I had 8 today. 3 red and 5 green. The green were my favorite.

Enjoy your tamales. They are labor intensive, but not difficult to make. And they are so good. I can't wait for breakfast!!!

JiveTurkey
12-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Tamales are a tradition in my family (yes I'm Mexican, ssshhhhh don't tell anybody). As a child I remember going to my grandparents house in a small migrant farm town in central California (Cutler) where the family would get together and make tamales for Christmas. The women cooked, the men prepared the masa and the kids played.

Now that my grandparents are gone and I'm a grown man now I decided I wanted to carry on the tradition so now we do tamales at my house and I love it. I never feel more connected with my family than when we're all in the kitchen laughing and telling stories while the assembly line of tamales chugs along. So here's how we roll...

1. You gotta have a few essential ingredients: Masa, your mole (we do pork), and corn husks.

2. It's an assemnbly line from there. Coat the husks in masa, fill with mole, wrap then steam.

3. As mentioned before be sure to let them cool for 5 minutes after heating so they firm up.

This year I'm smoking a pork butt then adding the smoked meat to the mole to see how it goes. Not sure on this one, my mom says it won't work, I say it's worth the $5 butt to see if it will.

Pics:

The Stuff:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01586.jpg

Masa:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01587.jpg

Mole:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01588.jpg

Husks:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01589.jpg

Fill husks with mole (I like to add a black olive):

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01592.jpg

Wrap:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01593.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01594.jpg

Getting ready to steam:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01597.jpg

Steam. I use foil to make a good seal to keep as much steam inside as possible:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01596.jpg

Done and resting:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/jbone1200/forumpics/Tamales/DSC01598.jpg

That's it. Google recipes for mole and how to prepare masa, get some friends and family over to your house and have fun. Merry Christmas everybody!

Jersey Joe
12-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Great recipe/tradition (tradicion)!
I hope I get brave enough to make my own. (I buy them from a lady who owns a mexican lunch counter about 2 miles away. $.50 each).

sbramm
12-23-2009, 06:23 AM
i remember the first time i saw tamales being made was when i was about 6 years old when my dad was in the air force stationed at brooks in san antonio. we went over to sargent benevides house and made what seemed like a thousand tamales and i ate until i couldn't eat anymore.

i have for years been working on getting the recipe "just right" and really look forward to the information and recipes that come from this thread. i grew up in colorado and really miss having good mexican food readily available. no tamale vendors showing up with their coolers out here in massachusetts!

cheers.... scott

Stan41
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Tamales

2 pounds lean boneless pork, or 1 - 3 1/2 pound shoulder butt or loin
4 Tablespoons chili Powder
4 Tablespoons Paprika
2 teaspoons ground comino
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, pressed, mashed, or minced
1 cup stock

Cut pork in large 3 to 4" chunks and boil in two quarts of plain water for 45 minutes.
Then remove bones and excess fat.
Put through meat grinder.
Reserve the stock.
Add all the seasoning and 1 cup stock to the ground pork and mix well.

PASTE MIXTURE:
1 pound masa harina (6 cups)
1/2 pound softened lard (1 1/2 cups)
4 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups warm stock.

Work lard well into masa by hand or mixer. Add salt, then add the stock, using electric mixer. This will make a thick paste.

Soak 50 to 60 nice corn shucks for several hours in hot water, each trimmed to about 4 X 6 inches. The paste is applied with a table knife to the lower left hand corner of the shuck in an area about 2 X 4 inches and about 1/2 inch in thickness. Then about a Tablespoon of pork mixture is applied along the center of this, like making a cigarette. Then the tamale is rolled up (like a cigarette) and the empty end of the shuck folded up alongside of tamale. This wrapping is done rather loosely to allow for the eventual swelling of the masa when the tamales are steamed. The tamales are put in a steamer, on the steaming tier in bundles of 6 or placed side by side, so as to hold their shape. A canning type pressure cooker is good for the steaming operation, used as a steamer and not as a pressure cooker (just put the lid on and don't seal it). Steam over boiling water 1 hour.

Notes:
Shuck scraps boiled with the meat increase shuck flavor of tamales. Also shuck scraps in the steaming water are helpful flavorwise and also enhances the aroma of the kitchen.

SmokeInDaEye
12-23-2009, 08:59 AM
So I have a defrost bag of carnitas ready but my wife defrosted brisket slices instead of some shredded brisket point I was hoping to use. Should I chop up the slices and mix with some red chile sauce or I also have some thinly sliced prime rib. May get some poblanos and make some green chile and cheese ones too!

Cast Iron Chef
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Great timing guys. A friend came over last night and we deceided to spend New Years making tamales. Maybe a few livations involved as well. Her mom was in town but is leaving before we can make them so we are on our own. Looking forward to recipes. I think she bought chuck. Any recipes for using chuck?

Bob your daughters got it right.

blues_n_cues
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Great timing guys. A friend came over last night and we deceided to spend New Years making tamales. Maybe a few livations involved as well. Her mom was in town but is leaving before we can make them so we are on our own. Looking forward to recipes. I think she bought chuck. Any recipes for using chuck?

Bob your daughters got it right.

smoked pulled pork worked just fine here.
for smoked chuck just smoke it until it's pullable or chop it finely.

either way be sure to save your juices for the masa & use in the water when softening the husks.
here's my thread on it. long winded but good.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1119711#post1119711

Cast Iron Chef
12-23-2009, 09:24 AM
smoked pulled pork worked just fine here.
for smoked chuck just smoke it until it's pullable or chop it finely.

either way be sure to save your juices for the masa & use in the water when softening the husks.
here's my thread on it. long winded but good.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1119711#post1119711

Thanks, those look good. They will be part of my education.

smknhotmama
12-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Don't laugh...I've NEVER had a tamale in my life! :eek:
I know , I can't believe it either!!!
With all the recent threads I MUST do something about this and quickly!!!

Funtimebbq
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
BobBrisket,

Thanks for starting this thred. My parents and 8 siblings are all from El Paso. In fact, every "Adauto" in the phone book is a relative.
My sister, wife and I made 5 dozen green chile, pork and cheese tamales last week. They are in the freezer until tomorrow night when we will steam them. Ours are made very similar to the way you described them. This year, I roasted a 30 pound box of Hatch, NM chilies, so they will be real hot. Can't wait.

Benny

Cast Iron Chef
12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't laugh...I've NEVER had a tamale in my life! :eek:
I know , I can't believe it either!!!
With all the recent threads I MUST do something about this and quickly!!!

911.....Must fix imediatly. Go to a bus stop or outside a factory and find the Mexican women holding shopping bags full of tamales. Get a dozen or more. You will be hooked.

landarc
12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Open corn husks or closed corn husks?

I do the full wrap, no open ends for me. Not sure why, or it if makes a difference.

I think you can use any meat, but, it is better pulled or shredded, not cubed, and it should have sauce, dry is easier to roll, but, nowhere near as good.

Yakfishingfool
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
This is quite timely as next week will be my first attempt to make these. Have a bunch of pulled pork and the whole family is off. Gonna put a dollup of pork on the masa that is on the corn husk and wrap. Hopefully some photo's. Scott

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Can I be your neighbor? :lol:

Yakfishingfool
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
How do you make the masa concoction? There is lard and ???? Thanks. Scott

Yakfishingfool
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
6 cups of masa harina to make a dozen tamales??? Does this sound right????

blues_n_cues
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
6 cups of masa harina to make a dozen tamales??? Does this sound right????

use maseca brand masa if possible. there are no real directions for how much for tamales but a simple rule is- around 8 cups dry masa mix for 4 doz. tamales. it's not a set measurement for this- use 2 cups corn oil & 5 cups of juice or base or both divided.
start off w/ a less dry(drier) mix-the masa will suck up moisture & get thicker before your eyes.you want a creamy peanut butter consistency when done.

i usually add a tbsp ea. comino,garlic & onion pwdrs,thyme,& black pepper.
if you use a base(chix,beef,pork)depending on what you're doing- no salt is needed.

landarc
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
What he^^^ said. I am fortunate that I can also get tamale masa that is freshly made locally, which is great. But Maseca is excellent. You can use lard, softened, and it makes a tasty tamale mix, but, it is 2 cups of lard you are adding.

Oh, and let's not forget if you can get some sweet corn, making sweet corn and herb tamales, maybe with some cheese in the middle, is excellent eating also.

SmokeInDaEye
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
use maseca brand masa if possible. there are no real directions for how much for tamales but a simple rule is- around 8 cups dry masa mix for 4 doz. tamales. it's not a set measurement for this- use 2 cups corn oil & 5 cups of juice or base or both divided.
start off w/ a less dry(drier) mix-the masa will suck up moisture & get thicker before your eyes.you want a creamy peanut butter consistency when done.

i usually add a tbsp ea. comino,garlic & onion pwdrs,thyme,& black pepper.
if you use a base(chix,beef,pork)depending on what you're doing- no salt is needed.

I bought lard. Should I use a little less oil and add some in?

sbramm
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
i have found that lard tastes better in the masa than oil (duh...).

agree that you need to keep the consistency a little loose as it gets difficult to work with when too thick and doesn't steam as well either.

i think i will have to do the new years day tamale fest as well.... what a great idea!

ytsejam
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
for the best tasting masa/tamales use "manteca de puerco" instead of oil or lard. It is pork fat that has been heated to liquid, then cooled to solid state.
It will take your tamales to a whole new level.

it is pretty readily availible at a mexican market, if you have them around

ytsejam
12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is a pictorial of me making some in the summer.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26195&id=1223248104&l=0d3b4d88cf

you shouldn't have to be a facebook member to see the pics

I have no hispanic heritage, but have lived in Texas all my life. About 8 years ago, I decided I would learn to make them. I read some books and did a lot of experimenting. I believe I have come up with the best tamale recipe ever.

smknhotmama
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
911.....Must fix imediatly. Go to a bus stop or outside a factory and find the Mexican women holding shopping bags full of tamales. Get a dozen or more. You will be hooked.

LOL, tad short on the Mexican workers other than outside of a crummy restaurant here :icon_smil

chambersuac
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
This thread really bites! I have been craving tamales since Jeanie made some weeks ago - now I am REALLY craving them. Can't wait to go to S. TX next month - hopefully my in-laws will have put some in the freezer for me. Yes, I know that's not as good as fresh, but seeing as how there is nowhere around here to get any tamales, they'll do.

ytsejam
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
How do you make the masa concoction? There is lard and ???? Thanks. Scott

10 ounces (1 1/3 cups) rich-tasting pork lard, slightly softened but not at all runny
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 1/2 cups dried masa harina for tamales mixed with 2 1/4 cups hot water
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the lard or shortening with 2 teaspoons salt and the baking powder until light in texture, about 1 minute. Continue beating as you add the masa (fresh or reconstituted) in three additions. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add 1 cup of the broth. Continue beating for another minute or so, until a 1/2-teaspoon dollop of the batter floats in a cup of cold water (if it floats you can be sure the tamales will be tender and light). Beat in enough additional broth to give the mixture the consistency of soft (not runny) cake batter; it should hold its shape in a spoon. Taste the batter and season with additional salt if you think necessary.
For the lightest textured tamales, refrigerate the batter for an hour or so, then rebeat, adding enough additional broth or water to bring the mixture to the soft consistency it had before.

This is the best masa recipe i know. This is from Rick Bayless book. It will make about 3 doz or so tamales.

Paulmark
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
The masa I used said on the package it was for tamales, I used chix broth, shortning, and I added some of the pasilla sauce I made. I still got some left in the freezer.
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab60/Paulmark123/empanadas011.jpg?t=1258487862
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab60/Paulmark123/empanadas018.jpg?t=1258487918

SmokeInDaEye
12-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Got the masa mixed up as well as two fillings: Carnitas, poblano and salsa verde in one batch and chopped brisket, pureed chipotle and grated queso de freir in the others. I got some anchiotina (annatto colored lard) to add to the masa for the beef ones so I can tell them apart. So far so good!

QDoc
12-23-2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.tamaletrail.com/
The best Tamales you will ever have. There is a recipe section but you will probably want to " fiddle wit it " to make it your own. But do the recipe as is first.

NorthwestBBQ
12-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Great post and pics! Thanks for all the work.

Markbb
12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I can put a hurt'n on some tamales......lip smak'n good stuff

JiveTurkey
12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
For masa I use a 3:1 ratio for masa to lard. 3 pounds masa to one pound lard. Don't use oil, use lard, don't worry you won't die. If you have a mexican market near you can usually get either "preparada" (prepared, meaning they already mixed the lard for you) or no preparada, unprepared (pure masa).

If you get unprepared then you can add how much lard you want but the way to make sure you have enough is the "float test". After mixing lard with masa either by hand or with a stand mixer take a piece and if it floats in water then it's ready. Growing up the men in the family had to mix the masa in large buckets by hand, it was messy and tiring, masa and lard all stuck to your arms. I say F that, I use my Kitchen Aid and do 4 pounds at a time. We're getting ready to make some this weekend. Can't wait!

Edit: I almost forgot to add, make sure to mix in warm beef broth while mixing to get that peanut butter consistency. Start mixing masa and lard then ladle in broth slowly.

planoguy
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Here is a pictorial of me making some in the summer.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26195&id=1223248104&l=0d3b4d88cf

you shouldn't have to be a facebook member to see the pics

I have no hispanic heritage, but have lived in Texas all my life. About 8 years ago, I decided I would learn to make them. I read some books and did a lot of experimenting. I believe I have come up with the best tamale recipe ever.

Nice pics and looks like great tamales

SmokeInDaEye
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
First batch is steaming. Had to create a makeshift steamer to get enough room. Hopefully it works.

JiveTurkey
12-23-2009, 04:08 PM
So I have a defrost bag of carnitas ready but my wife defrosted brisket slices instead of some shredded brisket point I was hoping to use. Should I chop up the slices and mix with some red chile sauce or I also have some thinly sliced prime rib. May get some poblanos and make some green chile and cheese ones too!

You can try brisket, never had it in a tamale before but if you can keep the meat moist and somewhat shredded then it might work.

I'm not too confident in the prime rib option, medium rare meat in a tamale just doesn't sound right. With tamales the idea is to have a moist meaty filling within light corn flavored masa. The meat can be pork or beef but it's usually cooked and shredded. But hey this is a free country and who knows maybe someone will like it and you'll be making prime rib tamales with Giada while I eat crow! Good luck!

ytsejam
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I make my beef tamales using a chuck roast

BobBrisket
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
BobBrisket,

Thanks for starting this thred. My parents and 8 siblings are all from El Paso. In fact, every "Adauto" in the phone book is a relative.
My sister, wife and I made 5 dozen green chile, pork and cheese tamales last week. They are in the freezer until tomorrow night when we will steam them. Ours are made very similar to the way you described them. This year, I roasted a 30 pound box of Hatch, NM chilies, so they will be real hot. Can't wait.

Benny
Benny,

I'll keep an eye an out for any Adauto in EP! Nothing like Hatch chiles. The green ones just don't taste the same without them. Your story about the "men mixing the masa by hand" brought back memories. I remember my grandpa and dad and uncles taking turns mixing the batch of masa that was usually 20 lbs or more. And the float test........it does work. I wish I had seen your idea about the black olive earlier. I love em and would like to have tried it. I make the green mostly for me. I prefer the green to the red and I like em HOT!!

I bought lard. Should I use a little less oil and add some in?

Little late, but lard is best. There is an unofficial "tamale test". If you can squeeze the tamale out of the husk after it's cooked and it just slides out, then you used enough lard!!:-D Not the healthiest food lubricant, but the tastiest. Besides, it's only once a year. We got lots of time to burn off the extra calories.

All the tamales are looking great. You can use just about anything as a filling.
Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.

Phubar
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM
So...it is that time for a rookie question...the outer shell is corn husk?
Can you eat that or is it something that only is used to hold the filling and for the steaming process?
Can you use something else like banana leaves for the wrap?

ytsejam
12-23-2009, 05:10 PM
So...it is that time for a rookie question...the outer shell is corn husk?
Can you eat that or is it something that only is used to hold the filling and for the steaming process?
Can you use something else like banana leaves for the wrap?
yes, it is a corn husk. you don't eat it, it just holds it together.
banana leaves work good too.

JiveTurkey
12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
The black olive in the mole with pork adds a nice flavor to the tamale.

Funny story, a couple years back I made some tamales when I lived in Colorado and gave some to my neighbor to taste. He came over the next day with a funny look on his face like he wanted to tell me something but wasn't sure how to bring it up. Finally he worked up the nerve to tell me that he thinks I accidentally dropped an olive in the tamale. I said, "Olive? What olive?". He turned kinda more pale then he already was. Big swallow, he says "there was an olive in the tamale.". I laughed and said "that's not an olive that's a cockroach! It's an authentic mexican tamale!". He believed it because over the years I had already fed him menudo and tripas at my place so a cockroach wasn't too far fetched! I think he wanted to pass out then I told him the truth that I meant to put the olive in there. It look him a little while to compose himself but we laugh about it now.

Phubar
12-23-2009, 05:37 PM
yes, it is a corn husk. you don't eat it, it just holds it together.
banana leaves work good too.

Thanks!

Phunny story Jive Turkey!

JiveTurkey
12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.

Good to know Bob, I've been debating with my mom for a long while now about smoking the pork first but she isn't on board with the idea. She's old school when it comes to tamale makin! You shoulda seen her face when I first busted out the stand mixer instead of using my hands. BLASPHEMY!!

Norcoredneck
12-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm TIRED!!! Made about 110 tamales today. Half I made by myself. These were gifts for my neigbors this year. I delivered 1/2 dozen bags to neighbors in the cul de sac.
No Pics...... You know the rulez!

Norcoredneck
12-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Man I miss the old neighborhood. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over. Family doesn't eat them so it would be a waste for me to make some. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over.

Westexbbq
12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
If this thread doesn't get a lot of y'all jonesin' for some tamales,
then nothing will.....:eusa_clap

BobBrisket
12-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Here's a few from my Tamaleada yesterday.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09036.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09042.jpg

tmcmaster
12-23-2009, 11:26 PM
How about pork fatback? In place of, or in conjunction with the lard?

JiveTurkey
12-24-2009, 01:54 AM
How about pork fatback? In place of, or in conjunction with the lard?

Never tried it. If you can get the fat (after it's rendered) to mix with the masa for a nice even texture it might work. Lard is pork fat just cleaned and processed so it doesn't go rancid. Give it shot and let us know if it works.

Bob, good work!

tmcmaster
12-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Never tried it. If you can get the fat (after it's rendered) to mix with the masa for a nice even texture it might work. Lard is pork fat just cleaned and processed so it doesn't go rancid. Give it shot and let us know if it works.

Bob, good work!
Thinking that I might partially freeze it, then either grind it (not likely) or run it through a grater... Possibly this weekend... but with the holidays, who knows...

blues_n_cues
12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
awesome tamales bobbrisket.:-D

SmokeInDaEye
12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Here's a few from my Tamaleada yesterday.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09036.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09042.jpg

Awesome! Mine turned out really nice. Need to upload some photos later though they look nothing like Bob's! What's the sauce/liquid?

BobBrisket
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
The green sauce is a store bought one. It's has no heat, but very much on the vinegary side. Mostly made from tomatillos. My wife is going to use it in her Chile con Queso. Adds for some nice ZING.

Here's breakfast. Like I said, heating them up in butter till the outside gets brown and crispy is the Cat's Arse!! Couple eggs, and some red and green sauce. The red sauce is from one of my wife's co-workers. Medium heat but has a strong oregano profile. Goes great with tamales. I was going for Christmasy Colors!:lol:

Merry Christmas!
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09043.jpg

I've had all the calories I'll need for the WHOLE day! This the best breakfast for New Year's Day after a long night of celebrating! It will cure what ails you!

Big V
12-25-2009, 05:50 AM
OK, now I'm hungry for tamales for my Christmas breakfast! :biggrin:

sbramm
12-25-2009, 06:23 AM
was gonna do this for new years but can't wait any longer!

since the wife is sick and we are now not going to her relatives for x-mas (YAH!) i will pulled a butt out of the freezer to thaw and will have tamales by dinner time!!!

i know, no pics or it didn't happen....

cheers and merry x-mas, scott

Yakfishingfool
12-25-2009, 07:48 AM
OK, great stuff....what about the sauces..an I just go with a canned enchilada sauce or is there a simple sauce I can go with? Thanks. Scott

blues_n_cues
12-25-2009, 08:03 AM
OK, great stuff....what about the sauces..an I just go with a canned enchilada sauce or is there a simple sauce I can go with? Thanks. Scott
canned chili,adobo,mole or picante if you're in a real pinch.

BobBrisket
12-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Canned sauces will work just fine. You can always doctor em up for more heat, flavor, etc.

Tamales can be filled with anything....bbq sauced meat, green chile strips and cheese, even a simple picadillo(ground meat with garlic, onions, cilantron, tomato and jalapenos.)

Can't wait to see the Tamale Pron!

BobBrisket
12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
It's that time again!!! I should be getting some going in the next week or so! This year I bought an extra 40 lbs of Hatch chile for the tamales and the fresh sausage I'll be making!

Bob

mustang347
12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I guess I'm going back to Target for a new tamale pot since the last one was used for a smokin joe mini smoker. All Those tamale's look great!!!!:clap2::clap2:

JiveTurkey
12-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey Bob! Tis the season... for TAMALES! We're getting things ready over here once again. I will post some pics if I get a chance to take any. Good to see this thread brought back to life.

Grabnabber
12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/tamales09043.jpg

Dude. Whoah. Need. This. Now. Thank. You. :thumb:

night-train
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
dammit boys them look good!...now I am gonna have to make me a mess of them!