PDA

View Full Version : Wok suggestions

Bigdog
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I am planning on getting a wok but don't know what kind I should buy. I have had the cheap steel ones with the ring that you use over the stove but have never liked them because of the damage they cause to the stove and surrounding counter. Thinking about an electric one this time. What do you think?

Midnight Smoke
12-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Are you talking about just using it indoors? If so I would think a nice electric one would be the way to go!

Bigdog
12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Are you talking about just using it indoors? If so I would think a nice electric one would be the way to go!

Yes, indoors.

Cast Iron Chef
12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Get a flat bottom one. Doesn't do the damage like the ring does. Never used an electric but I wonder if it would get as hot as on the stove.

Bigdog
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Get a flat bottom one. Doesn't do the damage like the ring does. Never used an electric but I wonder if it would get as hot as on the stove.

Do you have a specific one you recommend?

Bill-Chicago
12-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm a fan of the DR155 for indoor use.

http://www.calphalon.com/Category/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=DR155&CategoryID=Cookware(CalphalonVirtualCatalog)&SubcategoryID=SpecialtyCookware(CalphalonVirtualCa talog)

Cast Iron Chef
12-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Do you have a specific one you recommend?

Ive had mine so long I don't even remeber where I got it from. Pretty sure it was like Target or some cheap store like that. I keep it well seasoned and never had a problem.

NeoTrout
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a Taylor & Ng steel flat bottom wok. Used it indoors and out. Works great. Electric one I had never got hot enough for proper woking. :icon_cool

Grillman
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Wok this way.

Jersey Joe
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I have an el cheapo round bottomed one that I got in Chinatown. (use it all the time -but only outdoors) I cut a circle out of my old rusty weber cooking grate when I replaced it with a new SS one. The bottom of the wok sits right above the coals in it.

Kevin
12-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I recommend this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp-btXPgSQ

dmprantz
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I would not buy an electric one. As mentioned, they generally don't get hot enough. Do you have gas or electric cooktop? That makes a big difference. The wok I got was in Chinatown and is awesome. Round bottom carbon steel, the way they are supposed to be. I have used it on gas and electric eyes, though I acknowledge that it works best on gas. If you don't like the ring setup (remember to turn it upside down for electric) than a flat bottom might be best. Either way, I would stay away from non-stick.

dmp

landarc
12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I would avoid electric as well, they just don't wok right. I use carbon steel woks on my gas range, or over a turkey burner outside, work great. On an electric, I recommend a flat bottom wok, I still like carbon steel. I also like 'pow woks' for their handles, easier for me to use. I buy from these guys.

http://www.wokshop.com/store/main.php

Rhapsody
12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
You could find a nice one at walmart/target. I am a wok nut. I'll wok anything. The more expensive ones are ok, but the real prize in a wok is that black coating you put on it yourself, regardless of how expensive it is. If you live near a big city, I would get down to a Chinatown and pick one up there. The only thing with those is you don't really know how treated/untreated it is. Walmart/Target would would great. Just be sure to cook on it alot to get that nonstick coating.

Jay Bird
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I have an electric Cuisinart. Excellent heat control from warm to 450*. Good for everything from steaming to stir fry.

RichardF
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
if you really want to get a wok to do asian cooking it needs to be round-bottomed and it needs to be of carbon steel that's well seasoned so that it does not rust. the alternative would be cast iron. the big problem with chinese wok cooking is that most stoves cannot get the wok hot enough to get hei. they do work well on 100,000 btu gas fired turkey fryer set-ups.

Bigdog
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I recommend this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp-btXPgSQ

Now that's helpful. :roll:

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
A flat bottom wok is the way to go. I use a deep sided SS chef's pan, it works great.

gotwood
12-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Dont look further than this....added bonus is using for tailgating or outdoors.....
buy a paella pan and you can cook paella on the burner
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_57952____SearchResults

You can find it for 130.00 sometimes well worth it

I use it indoors on my gas cooktop

Kevin
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Now that's helpful. :roll:

Sorry Dog, my smart azz got the best of me. I like my flat bottom carbon steel wok. Treat it like cast iron, season and clean with water only, no soap. It is an el cheapo from wally world.

deguerre
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry Dog, my smart azz got the best of me. I like my flat bottom carbon steel wok. Treat it like cast iron, season and clean with water only, no soap. It is an el cheapo from wally world.
It WAS funny though. I've got a flat bottom carbon steel for my electric stove too. It was a housewarming gift but it looks similar to whar Bob link'd to. Plus the price seems good.

Bigdog
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Not to worry my friend. I think I will "Wok like an Egyptian." :mrgreen:

The one you mention is the one I had that I got rid of cause it did damage to my stovetop.