PDA

View Full Version : Grilling in 10 Degrees...

colt45
01-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Grilled 2 london broils (on sale 1.99 a pound) and a big loaf of garlic cheese bread... it was 12 or so when I started the chimney and 10 or less when I was grilling... lovely day... damn I love london broil...

colt

buckarmadillo
01-15-2004, 09:59 PM
You are a true BBQ Viking! I am whining because it is cloudy and 53 degrees outside. How much fuel did it take?

Bill-Chicago
01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
I grill year round too Josh

20 tojmorrow, and I got steaks thawing

parrothead
01-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Nothing stops me from firing up that gas grill during the winter. I am sure I will do some grilling this weekend. Yes with gas.

stlmike
01-16-2004, 06:50 AM
I'm with you, Josh. I grill/smoke year round. Chicken and brisket this weekend.
Stl Mike

brdbbq
01-16-2004, 07:39 AM
I have in-laws coming to town, think I will work. Farkers don't appreciate a good smoked meal anyway.

colt45
01-16-2004, 07:39 AM
I might be doing chicken and turkey legs this weekend... we'll see how motivated I get saturday morning... highs in the 20s though... gunna have to break out a beach chair or something :)

BBQchef33
01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Aint no way I would consider NOT grilling or q'in year round. Damn, it was 16 degrees the other night and I had chicken boobs and a couple shell steaks over a hickory fire. One thing I'll say.. Using a turkey fryer burner and a chimney, it takes just as long to fire up a chimney of lump and hickory chunks to prep for grilling as it does to heat my DCS Grill to 600-700 degrees at grate level. dump that chimney into the weber grill and it blows away propane. No means Im talking down gas grillin, it has its place, but aint nothing like a steak cooked over wood.

2Fat
01-17-2004, 06:41 AM
One thing I'll say.. Using a turkey fryer burner and a chimney, .

Love lighting the charcoal quick that way--BUT watch that chimney--the rivets can(and do) melt if that sucker gets too hot!!!! Of course ya shouldn't wear sandals during this operation either!! And then another thought is to get the shovel to clean up coals rather than a broom. Also probably would be better for this not to happen when there are 40 folks watching(and cheering) :oops:

isn't experience a great teacher

Buzz

BBQchef33
01-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Love lighting the charcoal quick that way--BUT watch that chimney--the rivets can(and do) melt if that sucker gets too hot!!!!

i go thru LOTS of chimneys!!, Just for that reasonn.... the whole bottom of the chimney and the grate inside gets red hot. Looks like an afterburner... I buy them 2 at a time. Usually go thru 4-5 a year.

Heath
01-18-2004, 04:22 PM
I agree, it's never to cold to cook out doors. In '95 I got stationed in Connecticut. A friend of mine had gotten stationed up there before I did so he had a house and I lived in the Chirf's barracks. On snowy winter day we decided we needed some grilled food. Out come the shovels and we started diging through about 3 1/2 feet of snow. We dug a nice little walkway off the back patio and out into the yard a little way. Then we dug out a big enough area to put the grill and dug it out from the shed. We were standing out there holding an umbrella over the grill and cooked brgers, dogs, chops, brats, just about anything we could find. Froze our asses off but man was that good eatin'. All the nieghbors thought we were crazy at first but once they smelled the food cookin they all wanted in. THe very next weekend we had a neighborhood cookout in the snow. Man that was a fun time.

tommykendall
01-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Youbetcha - on Saturday my buddy and I fired up the offset at 1:00pm in 33 degrees with light winds. Beautiful day - light snow started falling at 4:30. We did 3 racks of BBs, 30 buffalo turds, and kielbasa on the smoker, supplemented by those jap peanuts from OK, sardines/crackers, and icy cold Buds. Great fun.

Mark
01-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Betch you didn't have to worry about your beer getting either, huh?