PDA

View Full Version : About to start a build and need some help.

Gettin Piggy With It
12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm about to start a build and am planning on a reverse flow, and would like a vertical smoker on the exhaust end. Basically I'm thinking of drawing the smoke and heat back out of the main cooker and into a vertical smoker. Instead of exhaust coming from the tube, I would like to open the tube into the bottom of the vertical smoker.

My concern is how to get even heat and smoke in the vertical smoker and maintain temp at or close to what it is in the tube. I'm thinking of playing with tuning plates and dual exhaust for more draw control in the vertical smoker. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

HBMTN
12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
You want something like this but taller?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/Ruben111/BBQ/DSCN0729.jpg

We just finished this one. the box above the firebox does not have smoke going into it, we intended for it to be a warming box figuring it would be 50 - 75 degrees colder than the food chamber. Turns out it is 75 degrees hotter than food chamber so it is 325 degrees when the food chamber is 250 degrees. We figure that could have it's advantages also and may cut an exhaust for it to be cooler later.

jestridge
12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think those teuning plate would be worth the effort, but maybe you could install some type of damper to open or close

The Smokeworker
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I used tuning plates kind of in my build(reverse flow) in the form of 1 ft. wide 1/4 inch plates that are stationary for normal cooks, but I adjust for short hot burns towards the firebox. Works out so nice for a hundred pieces of chicken...nice and hot if i want it. The fuel consumption is reduced if I dont utilize the entire cooking chamber also. reverse flows eat you some wood!