PDA

View Full Version : primo stand help

Gore
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
My wife wants a bread oven and really likes the XL primo oval. We're a little stuck on stands -- they offer cypress, teak, and metal cradle. Concern is weathering for wood. Was wondering what advice people have on this.

thillin
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
My local dealer doesn't offer the metal stand. He said even the rep doesn't think it's sturdy enough. They sell them in packages with tables.

jagardn
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
My wife wants a bread oven and really likes the XL primo oval. We're a little stuck on stands -- they offer cypress, teak, and metal cradle. Concern is weathering for wood. Was wondering what advice people have on this.

They do have a new metal stand that is sturdy. I don't know if they are selling it just yet, here is a picture. Its a heavy steel frame with Stainless side shelves.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Yx0MaCFVhY4/Sxhyrxfk5kI/AAAAAAAAASA/giJcU-E3IKg/New_Primo_Cradle.jpg

The cypress and teak are naturally rot resistant. Many people put some type of UV sealer coat on it. They should last for years.

Smokey-T
12-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Make your own. Head over to the Primo website and ask KenK for the PDF plans. Mine turned out real nice, but I went the cheap pressure treated wood route. Here is my sorta build thread:

http://primogrillforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5604

There are some REALLY nice builds out of more exotic wood within the "Show Off Your Tables, Stands and Outdoor Kitchens" area of the forum.

Good luck!

Ted

Candy Sue
12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
My Primo oval has the wood stand. I stained it a couple of years ago with a one-step marine sealer and it has weathered very, very well. I don't cover it (but I probably should). It's been outside the whole time.

I love it! Just noticed the bags of pellets in the photos above! That stand it on the small Primo oval. It appears sturdy. I like the open shelf below. Bet it'd make a great chicken cooker!

boomer23
12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I have the new metel stand on my Primo XL and it is plenty sturdy. Might be a new option-- I got my new Primo in September with the stand.

Gore
12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, you guys sure don't make decisions easy! You eliminated one option, but added two more! Didn't know about the new metal stand or consider making my own. Nice handywork Ted.
Thanks all,
Gore

Que-Dawg
12-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I say make your own; anyway that is my goal for the 3 eggs.

txschutte
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Metal will rust, and is not very pleasing to the eye. I like the teak, if you can maintain it, you will get years of use.

Smokey-T
12-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, you guys sure don't make decisions easy! You eliminated one option, but added two more! Didn't know about the new metal stand or consider making my own. Nice handywork Ted.
Thanks all,
Gore

Thanks Gore. It's good bonding time with whoever you are working with on the project. My case was my brother. Plus it excercises the brain with something other than WORK!.... :-D

Either way you go the cooking is great on the Primo!

Ted

Gore
12-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I think right now I'm leaning toward the teak. I'd love to make one, but I am reminded of all the projects I am working on right now and I would like to have this operational before next summer :-) Of course, I'll be pricing granite and lumber. Que-Dawg, the pics of the three eggs made my mouth water. Will you put them all into one table? That'd be something to see.