PDA

View Full Version : How long does wood stay "good"?

Saiko
12-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Greetings from Kennesaw, Georgia! I used to post a bit on the old mailing list, and just now found out that everybody has moved here.

I recently had some trees taken down in my backyard so I could finally get some fescue to grow in my back corner. As much as I hated doing it, I had them take down a wild cherry tree that was blocking a lot of the morning sun (and I REALLY wanted the wood for smoking).
It was a pretty big tree, and I probably have more wood than I would use in a couple of years (I can only fire up the Bandera about once a month due to a busy schedule).
How long can I expect the wood to be good for smoking? I've never had this much smoking wood before so I'm clueless as to how long wood stays "good" for smoking.

parrothead
12-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Quite a while if it is kept dry and bug free. Maybe cut it into usable chunks or whatever size you use and store it in tubs in a shed or garage.

Should last a couple years that way.

slat
12-24-2003, 10:13 AM
It will keep for years as long as you keep it dry and bug free like Greg said. I keep mine in the garage all split and in racks to keep it off the floor and improve air circulation around it.

brdbbq
12-24-2003, 10:23 AM
My "wood" only stays good for a few minutes, I think it has something to do with age ?

cabo
12-24-2003, 10:29 AM
My "wood" only stays good for a few minutes, I think it has something to do with age ?

Amen Brother!! :cry:

BigAl
12-24-2003, 11:01 AM

Mostly her age! :lol:

BigAl
12-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Wood will be good for as long as you still have some left over! It is bad wood when you have to buy it at $480 a cord plus delivery!

nthole
12-24-2003, 11:14 AM
I've heard fruit woods lose a lot of their punch after about 2 years. There still good for heat but I don't think you get as much flavor. You might want to supplement with some fresher seasoned wood for flavor after a couple of years.

Saiko
12-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Ta da......

http://www.markandteri.com/images/wood.jpg

rusold
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Nice ,

BUT - that looks like a coupla of strong weekends worth the way my Bandera eats it especially the fruity kinds

R

Saiko
12-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Nice ,

BUT - that looks like a coupla of strong weekends worth the way my Bandera eats it especially the fruity kinds

R

You smoking with it or running a steamer engine? :D
That's prolly about 2 years worth for me right there, assuming I smoke about once a month. Assuming a cooking time of 6 to 9 hours, I'd go through about 3 of those logs each time.
I still gotta finish up my apple wood and let this season a bit before I give it a go.

BBQchef33
12-24-2003, 03:18 PM
neils right on.

Fruit wood looses the unique flavors after 18 months, 2 years and all it becomes is BTU's. So dotn expect apple to taste like apple wood, but more like you used lump charcoal, or kingsford. After 18 months start checking for spongieness on or under the bark. If its spongy, or starting to develop mold, or white fungus, dont use it cause it will impart a bitter nasty taste to the food.

Heath
12-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Another test to do that I use. Slit some then smell the wood. If it's seasoned right you should not smell any foul or musty smells and you can get an idea of how the smoke will smell. Or you can throw some on a test fire. Smell the smoke, if it smells OK then add it to your Q. Either of those will give you a chance to catch any wood thats foul. Worst case is you've split the wood but it keeps getting wet as it's trying to dry. That's when it will mold and you can get some really foul taste out of it.

Wayne
12-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Keep it high and dry and it will last forever. I gather pear wood from trees that have bee down for at least 3 years and as long as it is not the against the ground rotten then it is good. A lot of old BBQ cooks around her prefer wood that has cured for several years. They say it burns better and makes for a better smoke ring.