PDA

View Full Version : Damn it

nthole
12-23-2003, 06:48 PM
First case of US madcow disease was found in Washington today. Let us all hope and pray over our briskets that it was caught soon enough and we don't end up like Europe...asking "Where's the beef?"

parrothead
12-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I couldn't believe when I heard that. Get ready for beef to either cost a fortune or be non existant. If this thing spreads, future generations could say, "Grandpa, what's a cow?".

Actually, beef prices might just drop near term. You know how people freak out. Could be a bigger run on pork and drive those prices up rather than beef.

Think I will be buying pork bellies in the morning.

Bill-Chicago
12-23-2003, 09:06 PM
pork only from now on

parrothead
12-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Looks like beef is going to be real cheap. Several countries halted beef imports from the U.S. overnight.

U.S. Braces for Impact of Mad Cow Disease
6 minutes ago Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By JONATHAN D. SALANT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - From consumers to beef producers, Americans braced for the fallout from the apparent discovery of mad cow disease in the United States even as federal officials insisted the food supply was safe.

The impact was evident almost immediately: Eight nations, including Japan, South Korea (news - web sites) and Taiwan, halted U.S. beef imports just hours after the Agriculture Department announced Tuesday that a cow at a farm near Yakima, Wash., had tested positive for the brain-wasting disease. Japan is the largest overseas market for U.S. beef.

2Fat
12-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Maybe someone will finally learn that it isn't a good idea to grind dead animals for feed---had to pay a $1.48/lb for a brisket yesterday--tough to do when whole sirloin tips are about $2.10 or so-------but brisket is soooo good

Buzz

chad
12-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Maybe someone will finally learn that it isn't a good idea to grind dead animals for feed

I was going to say the same thing earlier but I was going to use terms like "lazy, cheap, low-life" but that's not completely fair -- farmers take it tough trying to make ends meet.

You'll note that it was a dairy cow -- Not good news for milk drinkers but it may turn out to be isolated due to the feed needs of dairy animals.

I'm still cooking a brisket for Christmas. :D

rusold
12-24-2003, 02:01 PM
The futures market went to the dumps - will hit retail pretty soon - I have been really tired of 14-15 dollar steak prices - I don't think we get beef from Washington here in Texas so I am getting ready to stock up :lol:

R

Heath
12-28-2003, 02:52 PM
They started pulling beef of the shelves out here already. I don't see any probllemnuf faejl jvub v s sssssssssss.

nthole
12-28-2003, 05:04 PM
That's ridiculous. They'll end up pulling beef from 10,000 head when 1 freaking cow was infected.

It sickens me.

Wayne
12-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Im not worried. My beef is home grown on grass and less than 5 years old. The grass makes the fat yellow and gives it a stronger taste but it is wonderful.

parrothead
12-28-2003, 09:52 PM
They started pulling beef of the shelves out here already. I don't see any probllemnuf faejl jvub v s sssssssssss.

Laughed my ass off at that one.