PDA

View Full Version : To Brine or Not To Brine?

soup
11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I read the opinions on low and slow. So my question is to brine or not, and if so, I need some brine recipes. I'm cooking a 14lb turkey thur. morning.

gr8full2day
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I read the opinions on low and slow. So my question is to brine or not, and if so, I need some brine recipes. I'm cooking a 14lb turkey thur. morning.

Funny, I had the same questions. The last turkey I smoked turned out without brining...Put seasoning between skin and meat and let marinate for 8 hrs, but no brine. It turned out good, either beginners luck or a good process?? :-D

sluvsmore
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I did four last week at work with a honey brine they came out well but i couldn't taste the 24$$ worth of honey i used for the brine. wont do that again.

Rylos1
11-23-2009, 03:06 PM
I have brined two this year and the turned out more tender than any turkeys that I have ever made. I brined one and then used the Mad Max method after the brining and it turned out great after smoking with apple chips. I know, it did not happen, but if it did, I would have used this recipe to brine it. http://bbq.about.com/od/brinerecipes/r/bl71122a.htm

skeetman
11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
My first turkey on the WSM last week I brined with 1/2 cup salt & 1/2 cup brown sugar then used Rudy's Rub. Turkey was moist & tender I will do the same next time also.

Abelman
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I brine my turkey, here's what I use:

2 quarts of apple juice
3 quarts of water
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup Kosher Salt
3 oranges quartered
4 oz of thinly sliced fresh ginger
15 whole cloves
6 Bay leaves
6 garlic cloves, crushed

or

1.5 gallons of wter
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp garlicpowder
2 tsp cajun spice
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp onion powder

I have used both and brine 24 hours or over night depending on if it's turkey of chicken.

early mornin' smokin'
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
jeez, so all i can find is a a bird that's enhanced, and i just can reason with paying 4 dollars plus a lb for a "fresh kill" bird.
So what do you guys think, brine it anyways and just lay off the salt a lil?

leanza
11-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Pre-salting is better than brine.

frognot
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Does a brined bird take longer to smoke than an unbrined bird? Looking at doing a 12 lber on my WSM but looking at lunch at around 1300. (Yeah, i know "it's done when it's done" but was wondering if i should start the night before or early AM.)

SoCalWJS
11-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I have brined two this year and the turned out more tender than any turkeys that I have ever made. I brined one and then used the Mad Max method after the brining and it turned out great after smoking with apple chips. I know, it did not happen, but if it did, I would have used this recipe to brine it. http://bbq.about.com/od/brinerecipes/r/bl71122a.htm

+1 on Mad Max method with a good brine. Absolutely Wonderful! Use it every year with great results.

Stan41
11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Brine the bird! In my experience a brined bird cooks in much less time than one that is not.
Stan41

Blackened
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
jeez, so all i can find is a a bird that's enhanced, and i just can reason with paying 4 dollars plus a lb for a "fresh kill" bird.
So what do you guys think, brine it anyways and just lay off the salt a lil?

Same here, the choices I had were 3%, 6%, and 8% enhanced so I went with a 3% bird..

I was just going to cut the brine time from 12 hours to 8 hours..

Does this sound ok, or does anybody have any better suggestions?

Sauced!
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Brine! Brine! Brine! I have yet to have bad results from brining......Inject while you're at it too!

QuietOne
11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Both ABC GMA and CBS have turkey brine featured.

ABC - Sarah Moulton http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=9135596
CBS - Bobby Flay - Breast only http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/07/27/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main712168.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

jestridge
11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I brine a enhace turk last year prolly best turk I ever smoke.

MilitantSquatter
11-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Tom - can you detail what pre-salting is in this case ?

just a coating of salt on and under skin before cooking ?

leanza
11-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Tom - can you detail what pre-salting is in this case ?

just a coating of salt on and under skin before cooking ?

Sure can Brother.

This method revolutionized my preparation of all my poultry. I hope you all pay close attention.

You will be rewarded. I almost hate giving it up because then I will have to compete with some of you.

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holiday-guide/food/la-fo-calcook18-2009nov18,0,4954438.story

MilitantSquatter
11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Interesting...

Thanks Tom... I might just give it a shot, but the best I can do about sealing my 20+lb bird is storing it in a few unused plastic garbage bags.

leanza
11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I use one or two Reynolds Wrap roasting bags to store my turkey in for the brine. Give it a try.

udoughguy
11-24-2009, 05:07 AM
I brine every turkey no matter how it's cooked (deep fried, oven roasted or smoked). I brine my pork butts also. The key is the water, salt and sugar. The rest is kind of whatever the cook wants to play with. Brining only improves the end product. It will add maybe 10 minutes to your prep. time. And it costs next to nothing. It makes a good piece of meat better.

Phubar
11-24-2009, 05:51 AM
I like Leanza's method as well,sounds good.

Before I started smoking I always marinated my chicken with soja sauce,now I learned how to brine here and now I do a mixture of both.

I agree with Udoughguy:water,salt and sugar.
I like to use sour stuff like lemon or vinigar to make a marinade or brine.
Meat will fall of the bone!

Chickenbreast from last weekend I brined in a combination of water with honey,soja sauce and salt,I cooked it first,let it cool down and put the breasts with the brine in a ziploc bag.
All the way tasty!

SmokinOkie
11-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Same here, the choices I had were 3%, 6%, and 8% enhanced so I went with a 3% bird..

I was just going to cut the brine time from 12 hours to 8 hours..

Does this sound ok, or does anybody have any better suggestions?

Having written a few works about brining (Brining 101) I saw any of those is fine, so with the lower if you have a choice.

Do NOT adjust the time. I posted about enhanced birds and talked about brining enhanced birds.

Think of it like this. If there is already ANY solution in the bird, it's not like the brine will be adding all of it's salt. The bird will attempt to achieve a state of equilibrium with the % of salt within the brine.

You'll be fine, go with your lowerst % enhanced and brine as normal.

Russ
Author Brining 101

leanza
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
What pre-salting accomplishes is a less spongy texture that a water brine would nominally bring.

The osmosis process in pre salting still allows for tender, juicy, succulent meat. Without the spongyness that some time accompanies water brine.

Phubar
11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
What pre-salting accomplishes is a less spongy texture that a water brine would nominally bring.

The osmosis process in pre salting still allows for tender, juicy, succulent meat. Without the spongyness that some time accompanies water brine.

Thanks Leanza!
Gonna try that on my next breasts:1 brined and 1 pre-salted.

KnucklHed BBQ
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM

I've always been a foul brine believer... but the pre-salting method makes sense... almost a light curing of the poultry... add herbs, I like it!

I'll give it a try sometime!

Thanks!

MilitantSquatter
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
OK Tom... I decided to try it.. There's no turning back for me now !!!

Birdwill only get about 40 hrs instead of 72 hrs and I'll likely add some Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Tree and/or Tsunami Spin just prior to cooking along with some traditional poultry seasoning.

Thanks again for sharing..

leanza
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Vinnie, cant vouch for the shorter time period on the turkey.

But you may want include and try a 4-5lb chicken for a day or two brine. I can assure you that will work.

But go for the turkey as well, can't hurt. I would like to know if it works. Save me some time if it does.

One important feature to the dry brine is, uncovering the poultry on the day of the cook, as to let the skin dry in the fridge.

MilitantSquatter
11-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks Tom.

Here's the pic - 16 lb. Bell & Evans Fresh Turkey

used just under 4 tablespoons of Kosher Salt. I spread it out more evenly than pics show before I closed the bag.

leanza
11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Can't wait to see how the great experiment turns out???

Wampus
11-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Can't wait to see how the great experiment turns out???

Me either! I've been reading up on the salting ilo brining thing. Very curious to see and hear about the results! I considered salting, but stuck with my original plan to brine.

Good Luck Vinny!!

MilitantSquatter
11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
update...

I flipped the bird over this evening.. There was some liquid at the bottom but not a lot.. As the article noted, I lightly massaged it through the bag to make sure the salt is distributed evenly..

frognot
11-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Brined (salt, brown sugar, garlic, rosemary and a li'l Cayenne) that 14 lb bird and stuffed apples & onions in him and rubbed with Sonny's Crazy Cajun Miraculous rub. In the WSM at 0600 with some pecan chunks.

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Another Update

Here is the liquid - very little... only a few ounces at most.. No salt was visibile on the surface.

I'm sure some of it was water from the rinse off that was in the cavity as I only patted the outer surface it down lightly before applying the dry salt brine..

leanza
11-26-2009, 12:01 PM
As a note... I always have some residual liquid.

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Tom - It came out great.. Probably the best turkey I've done overall .. The family said it was extremely flavorful.. Real nice texture inside. I think the flavor was also enhanced by adding a small amount of the drippings mixed with the unique Dizzy Pig rubs onto the cut slices along with the regular gravy.

Thank you for sharing this method.

I posted the finished pic in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1096676&postcount=7

leanza
11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Tom - It came out great.. Probably the best turkey I've done overall .. The family said it was extremely flavorful.. Real nice texture inside.
I posted the finished pic in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1096676&postcount=7

Shhhhh......Don't tell anybody.......Just keep the "method" a secret.:twisted::icon_devil:icon_cool

PS. Dont forget to try it on some chickens for an over-nighter.