PDA

View Full Version : Rookie's 1st Fatty gone in 5 minutes

BSea
11-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I just received my grill dome on Thursday, so decided my 1st experience with a fatty would be my 1st experience with the smoker. Despite the suggestions to start simple, I decided to put in some onion & poblano pepper & grated cheese. I prepared it on Friday night with the idea to get up early (about 4 am) to put on the grill & take to our tailgate party. Since we had an 11:20 kickoff I thought it would be a good breakfast item. I got it out, and made a few slices. The idea was to get a picture because I know if I don't have pictures it didn't happen. But it just went soooo fast I didn't get a picture.

So my fatty was a huge success . . . the Razorbacks won . . . . all in all a pretty good day.

So fatties may now become a staple in our house. I recommend that all beginners should try one of these. They're easy to prepare, not expensive at all so you don't lose sleep over possibly ruining an expensive piece of meat, and best of all, all your friends will be impressed. :-D Thanks to this forum for the ideas & suggestions. I never had heard about a fatty before reading about them here.

Today my son & I made pizzas. While not visually impressive, they did taste good. But I need more practice in this area.

QuietOne
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Obviously it didn't happen

Desert Dweller
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
This is why two is one and one is none when you're talking fatties!

BSea
11-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Obviously it didn't happenI KNOW! . . . I know.

I can see I'm going to really have to keep my camera handy from now on. That, and make more than 1 fatty for a tailgate.

deguerre
11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Did something happen here?

BSea
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
WOW, this is a tough crowd. I do promise to do better in the future.:redface:

Paulmark
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
It happened in your dreams....and you'll always have that.:eusa_clap:smile:

Rookie'48
11-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Obviously it didn't happen

This is why two is one and one is none when you're talking fatties!

BSea - I think the guys are trying to tell ya that Brethren Law says ya hafta make a minimum of two fatties.
Oh, yeah, pics!

puddle jumper
11-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Wow BSea,
Sounds like you did good Bro,,,
Puddle
But,,,:roll:

NorthwestBBQ
11-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Interseting rhetoric...too bad it never happened, bro. :-P

bbq ron
11-23-2009, 06:17 AM
oh, give him a break. it's his first time :-P:-P

deguerre
11-23-2009, 06:19 AM
oh, give him a break. it's his first time :-P:-P
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Awrite den.:biggrin:

Crüe-B-Cüe
11-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't know...5 minutes is an awful long time for a fatty to sit around. Maybe you should keep practicing. When it's gone as soon as the plate hits the counter, you know you have it down. :cool:

BSea
11-23-2009, 08:37 AM
I knew I was going to take a little "Ribbin" (Pun intended) for not having pictures. That's OK though, I'm like a kid at Christmas with this thing. And I just had to tell some people that could also appreciate my 1st small step.

My brother-in-law was really impressed with it though. He asked several questions on how I did it, and about my new grill. I may have a brethren in the family soon.:-P

deguerre
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I knew I was going to take a little "Ribbin" (Pun intended) for not having pictures. That's OK though, I'm like a kid at Christmas with this thing. And I just had to tell some people that could also appreciate my 1st small step.

My brother-in-law was really impressed with it though. He asked several questions on how I did it, and about my new grill. I may have a brethren in the family soon.:-P
And THAT's what's important.:cool:

aquablue22
11-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Note to self: When feeding friends smoked items from grill, always and I mean ALWAYS keep camera in other hand, because as you have learned young grasshopper the shoet goes FAST! I'm sure you had fun! keep it up...

Skip
11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
If you are gonna brag you better show some pictures! lol

Whats best is you had fun and then did some cooking with the boy. Thats the best part of the story.

Phubar
11-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Great story...truelly love it!
But what Skip said....

Next time show us some pron like Ross in Ventura's last thread and we'll call it even!:wink:

Kack
11-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Mine was gone in about 5 minutes too. And there was only two of us. Those things are great

BobF
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
yep, never cook 1 fattie.
even the rookies (me too) get it right, although 5 minutes may be long. 1 fattie won't last a whole shutter click.
Go to Sam's and buy at least 2 JDs at a time.

Sounds like you had fun.

BSea
11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok, having learned my lessons, I again decided to make a few fatties tonight with the help of my son. I wanted to try something geared more toward dinner than breakfast, so I went to the store & bought a small piece of tenderloin, some ground round, sausage (2 kinds) some hot links, pepper jack & blue cheese (not for the same fatty), some jalapenos, and a few other odds & ends.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010494.jpg

My son & I decided to each make a fatty. Mine was mostly beef with a little sausage, and his was mostly sausage with a diced up hot link.

I started by slicing the tenderloin into 2 strips. 1 was for inside the fatty, and the other we would grill on the edge of the grate & use for an appetizer.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010495.jpg

I then chopped up some mushrooms & onions then I flattened out the ground round & added the mushrooms onions & blue cheese. I put 1 strip in the middle & wrapped it up. I then used a little of the sage sausage on the outside just to give it a little more flavor. I figured if the sausage was on the outer part of the fatty, then it would be done, and still leave me with a medium rare tenderloin center.

My son used sausage with a little hamburger that I had left over and added a chopped up hot link (actually about 1 1/2 hot links), along with mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, and cheddar cheese.

Here they are on the smoker.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010501.jpg

Here's our appetizer. It was great. I fried a few mushrooms onions with some garlic & added over the top. I couldn't sear the steak since I was set up for smoking. But it still turned out great.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010499.jpg

Finally our fatties.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010504.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/BSea/BBQ/P1010508.jpg

So, have I made amends for no pron on my 1st fatty?

Smoke & Beers
11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Almost...send me some o'dat and we'll call it good!:mrgreen:

Seriously...that looks darn good!

redbandit98
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
pig sooooooie!!! Looks good from Fort Smith! :icon_cool

Phubar
11-24-2009, 02:22 AM
There ya go!

Desert Dweller
11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Good lookin groceries! You have redeemed yourself.

NorthwestBBQ
11-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Hallelujah! Great second attempt and great pics too bro! :-D

QuietOne
11-24-2009, 08:30 AM
There you go .... it DID happen!

Goods good from Fort Smith

BSea
11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys. But the real credit goes to this forum & you it's members. :eusa_clap Because I never would have tried this without reading about them here. Plus these things are so easy & fun. My son & I had a great time doing these last night.

Stay tuned for more adventures. :grin:

BBQ Bandit
11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Excellent second round... it did happen!!!
Welcome to the BBQ madness!

KnucklHed BBQ
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks Fantastic!

Redemption is soo sweet! =)

GreasePig
11-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Nice Job BSea! I am glad to see you are happy with your Grill Dome! I came THIS CLOSE to taking you up on your offer! :)

You make your table yet?

GO HOGS!

BSea
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice Job BSea! I am glad to see you are happy with your Grill Dome! I came THIS CLOSE to taking you up on your offer! :)

You make your table yet?

GO HOGS!I'm very happy with my Grill Dome. I haven't started the table yet, and I'm leaving to go to Texas on Friday, so it will be a few weeks till I get to it. But I will say that it won't be a standard table. I keep coming up with different ideas. I'll post a build thread when I get done.

Jay Bird
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Tenderloin in a fattie. Great combo. Have to try that one.