PDA

View Full Version : Couple of smoked turkey questions: Drippings and stuffing?

Saiko
11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I've smoked plenty of turkeys, but thinking of trying a couple of new things this year and have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to collect enough drippings from a smoked turkey to make a decent gravy? I make gravy from roasted turkey all the time, but never attempted to collect the drippings from a smoked turkey. I'll be using a WSM, so it seems I could just place a foil pan under the turkey and I'll be good to go. Anybody else done this and succeeded? Was wondering if there was some bizarre phenomenon that occured in a smoker that prevented a lot of dripping from being collected. I'll be running at 225 for a couple of hours, then cranking up to 300+ to finish her off and crisp up the skin.

2) Anybody ever stuff a smoked turkey? Honestly, I never have, but thinking of trying it this year. Does the stuffing end up having too much smoke flavor?

Thanks!

RubThatButt
11-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Does the stuffing end up having too much smoke flavor?

Thanks!

Yes. It is not very good and it produces an undesirable flavor to many. Of course as usual YMMV. But I would skip it.

Redheart
11-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Saiko (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1322) ... I have never stuffed a smoke bird with dressing. I have added quartered onions, apple, carrots, celery etc. I think stuffing the bird really slows down the cook time. Heck it even does that when you are oven roasting a bird.

I have and do make a gravy from smoked bird drippings ... sorta ... I have an ECB so I place broth and juice in the water pan and then I also place in the neck, an onion, etc and allow it to reduce while smoking. The bird will drip right into the pan. It always makes a great base for my gravy.

AlbuQue
11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
This just came in my email yesterday. Gravey sounds good:
http://weber.com/holidaygrilling/assets/pdf/holiday_turkey.pdf

cmcadams
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree with Redheart... I stuff with aromatics only. Bread in the stuffing will likely taste too smoky.

I collect the drippings and add them to what I've found to be great gravy... using Williams Sonoma turkey gravy base, milk, and drippings. I love it! The smoke in the drippings is very nice in the gravy.

Roo-B-Q'N
11-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't stuff the turkey with bread stuffing as it would keep the bird in the danger zone for way to long. Running a risk that I would not want to take.

Keep the stuffing in the oven.

landarc
11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Ditto everyone else, I do not believe stuffing the turkey gives good results in terms of taste. I will say, if I want a lot of gravy (and why would I not?) I go ahead and grab a couple of turkey legs, roast them hot and fast, then make a nice aromatic stock, cooking them down very thoroughly the day before. Then fridge, skim and use that along with drippings to make a good gravy base.