PDA

View Full Version : $10 barrel source, but what is Welding Powder?

ComputerMike
11-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I found a source of 50 or so barrels at $10, open top with lids. They origianally held Welding Powder. What the H-E- Double-Hockey-sticks is that?

I'm going to look at them regardless because I am looking for a grabage burning barrel for the yard so I'll buy one at least but if they look good I may stock up. :)

Kevin
11-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Flux?

ComputerMike
11-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm guessing that since its a powder the drums are unlined. I'm hoping they are unlined and in good shape. If so the only question is how many to buy. :twisted: I could fit 6 in the van.

SirPorkaLot
11-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I found a source of 50 or so barrels at $10, open top with lids. They origianally held Welding Powder. What the H-E- Double-Hockey-sticks is that?

I'm going to look at them regardless because I am looking for a grabage burning barrel for the yard so I'll buy one at least but if they look good I may stock up. :)

The only welding powder i am familiar with is used in exothermic (used to weld copper wires together) & thermite (used to fuse rails on rail roads together) welding.
Which uses a chemical reaction to melt metal to fuse it.

If it is this type of welding powder PROCEED CAREFULLY!.
Thermite welding powder only requires a spark, flame, etc.. to ignite, and it produces an instaneous, very hot (white hot) reaction (it will melt metal)

ComputerMike
11-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Good to know. A good power washing would be in order.

Kevin
11-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Then the burn out should go smoothly. Just kidding, proceed with caution heeding John's warning.

NorthwestBBQ
11-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Sounds extremely toxic to me.

Papa Payne
11-21-2009, 03:38 AM

Sounds like metal powder used to repair machined parts. We send parts out to be metal powder welded and they spray metal powder on the part under a heated process and this powder "welds" to the part. We do this when we need a specifically hard surface, such as nickle cromium...

The welding powder will have the metals plus the flux combined in the powder.

Sounds like a great find!

Papa

SirPorkaLot
11-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Sounds like metal powder used to repair machined parts. We send parts out to be metal powder welded and they spray metal powder on the part under a heated process and this powder "welds" to the part. We do this when we need a specifically hard surface, such as nickle cromium...

The welding powder will have the metals plus the flux combined in the powder.

Sounds like a great find!

Papa

I like his answer ^^^^ better than mine. It makes more sense.

I would power wash, before burn out just to be safe though.

QuietOne
11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
http://www.stellite.co.uk/WeldingProcesses/PowderWelding/tabid/75/Default.aspx

http://www.stellite.co.uk/ProductsServices/SprayFusePowderWeldPowder/tabid/67/Default.aspx

jestridge
11-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Prolly was for spray welding, wash / burn out should be ok