PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a knife doctor

sfisch
11-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I recently obtained a 12" long curved carving knife that looks to be pretty old. Its pretty thick but the sharpened edge is pretty beat up. Anyone here re-furb knives? If it isn't too expensive I'll ship it off and have it worked on.
Thanks
Scott

Paul B
11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
A person that sharpens for a living will probably charge by the inch. Don't know the going rate. Also would depend on how bad of shape it's in. Make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing if it is a good knife. Don't want to ruin it.

You might check on www.knifeforms.com (http://www.knifeforms.com) or www.bladeforms.com (http://www.bladeforms.com). There should be someone there that will help you out.

Paul B

Kevin
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
PM sent.

sfisch
11-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys,
Kevin, sent you a pm back.

Scott

Mark
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I've done wonders refurbing machetes with an old Sears 4X24 belt grinder. I put the grinder in a vice at an angle and presto chango.

skeetman
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
There is a man who sharpens knifes, he has a bell that rings as he pushes his knife sharpening cart down the streets in Chicago. Oh never mind that was 40 years ago.

1FUNVET
11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
You might check with local saw shops. The guy that sharpens my chainsaw and saw's also sharpens knives. I've had him sharpen several and he does a great job.

Cast Iron Chef
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
There is a man who sharpens knifes, he has a bell that rings as he pushes his knife sharpening cart down the streets in Chicago. Oh never mind that was 40 years ago.

You must have grown up in my neighborhhod. I remeber him.

TN_BBQ
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
You might check with local saw shops. The guy that sharpens my chainsaw and saw's also sharpens knives. I've had him sharpen several and he does a great job.

Your suggestion to check with a knife sharpener is a solid suggestion, but there's a lot more to refurbishing a knife than just sharpening it.

I'd like to see some before and after pictures. I'm always amazed at good craftsmanship.

igolf2
11-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Any Amish in your neck of the woods? Awesome at sharpening knives, saw blades (circular and chain) etc.