PDA

View Full Version : Stumps vs Backwoods

4tonns
11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been thinking aobut getting a new smoker this winter and narrowed the choice down to a Stumps or a Backwoods smoker. Both look very good to me. I would like any information that would help me make a decision. I do a few IBCA comps and backyard cooking.

Thanks

bocephus
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't really know much, but I know I love my stumps clone Big 36x36x24 cooking area,5 shelves so 30 square feet of cooking area, Holds around 18 lbs of coal, and cooks at 225 for close to 18 hours on it. Hold temp well, and works great, my only complaint is how long the dang thing takes to get up to temp... hair dryer mod works though.

Bamabuzzard
11-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I own a Backwoods patio unit that has since been discontinued by Mike the owner of Backwoods. The "Chubby" unit took it's place. I just recently bought a Stumps "Baby" unit back in the Summer.

Backwoods and Stumps both put out great smokers but for me I like the Stumps better. Mainly because of not having to have the water pan. Backwoods uses a water pan. And before anyone says it I know. You can cook without the water pan. But the smoker was designed and built to cook with a water pan. I've got a buddy that has the Chubby and he loves it. He has no complaints, doesn't mind the water pan stuff and he'd tell you he'd take a Backwoods all day. Backwoods seems to make their inner dimensions on their cookers a bit too small for my taste. Stumps normally gives you two extra inches in depth and width when it comes to inside dimensions. That was another thing that swung me toward Stumps. That extra two inches means MORE AIR FLOW which when it comes to smoking meat can be a big thing.

But, do your homework, ask 'lots of questions but you can't go wrong with either one of these types of smokers.

TN_BBQ
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
... hair dryer mod works though.

For real? I been working on dismantling my old gasser to make a pre-heater (takes nearly an hour to pre-heat my BWS now).

Might have to give the hair dryer a try.

I think (so do the Memphis in May judges) Backwoods Smokers make some mighty fine BBQ.

I'm not positive about the rib category, but top 3 in whole hog were using Backwoods and top 3 in shoulders were using Backwoods at 2009 Memphis in May contest.

Most of us are a little partial to the one we bought. At the end of the day, you gotta go with the one you want and they both (so i've heard) are might fine smokers.

KC_Bobby
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
It's taking you an hour to pre-heat a party? With hot water (when available) it can be done in 20 minutes w/o guru (after chimney is red). Id be happy to share my steps if you'd like or maybe you were including the chimney time.

Regarding the hair dryer/guru for pre-heating - I prefer not to for the BWS. Seems that it goes too many coals going then it can be difficult to keep temps down later. I generally prefer to open the vent next to the burning coal so it can suck in a lot of air without lighting a bunch of other coals.

Redheart
11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
I have been thinking aobut getting a new smoker this winter and narrowed the choice down to a Stumps or a Backwoods smoker. Both look very good to me. I would like any information that would help me make a decision. I do a few IBCA comps and backyard cooking.

Thanks

Just wondering why you eliminated Spicewine from the decision? I must admit I don't own any of them, but Spicewine is the one that has caught my attention.

moocow
11-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a backwoods clone with a stumps gravity feed. I like the backwoods part of it better than the stumps. Either one would be a geed choice.

Bob S
11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Here's another vote for Backwoods. I have a Party model and love it. Although I have no experience with Stumps, I can tell you that the BWS holds temps very steady and is very user friendly. The build quality is excellent. If I was doing it again I would probably get the Fatboy or an extended Party for more grate space.

ThomEmery
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Just wondering why you eliminated Spicewine from the decision? I must admit I don't own any of them, but Spicewine is the one that has caught my attention.

Ditto

BBQ_MAFIA
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
You really should put the Spicewine into you mix to pick from.

I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them. But you should get what's best for you and your dollar.

Good luck.

TN_BBQ
11-19-2009, 06:59 AM
It's taking you an hour to pre-heat a party? With hot water (when available) it can be done in 20 minutes w/o guru (after chimney is red). Id be happy to share my steps if you'd like or maybe you were including the chimney time.

Share them.

I usually don't open the door or the vents. I typically just load the coal box and toss in one of those firestarter cubes and turn on the guru.

I know I could decrease start time by starting with a hot chimney and/or opening the doors and vents, but have hestitated because of fear that the temp would get too high.

early mornin' smokin'
11-19-2009, 09:15 AM
yea, my next cooker will be a super medium spicewine, things are just plain awesome, and will hold 225 long after the coals go out

KC_Bobby
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Share them.

I usually don't open the door or the vents. I typically just load the coal box and toss in one of those firestarter cubes and turn on the guru.

I know I could decrease start time by starting with a hot chimney and/or opening the doors and vents, but have hestitated because of fear that the temp would get too high.

1) light 1/2-2/3 chimney of briquettes using paper towel with some veg oil on them (or torch if you have one, that will speed it up)
2) load coal pan with lump leaving the corner near the guru empty to dump the chimney in
3) fill in the empty spaces/gaps with briquettes
4) put a handful of wood chunks on top of coals
5) open both vents (and make sure the exhaust is wide open)
6) check to see if the chimney is ready, if so
7) fill water pan with hot tap water (if at home) I would fill a Coleman Oscar cooler in the kitchen sink and dump it into the water pan while in the smoker
8 )if not, leave the water in the cooler so it stays hot. I found out it's quicker to wait for the coals to glow then dumping them in - it takes longer in the smoker to get to the same glow.
9) after adding the water and dumping the coals (in that order so you don't accidentally dump water on the hot coals, close the door and watch the tel tru rise - this should take about 15 minutes from outside temp to 235 or so - assuming the BWS was not sitting outside in the cold to begin with
10) when it gets to about 150, close the vent opposite your guru halfway or more. At 200-210 close all the way and turn the guru on. If you're not using a guru, leave it open the same as you currently do

In total this will take about 45 minutes w/o torch or 25-30 with torch ... so it may not save much from your method. When I said 20 minutes, I was only speaking of the time that the coals were put into the smoker, my mistake as that's what I thought you meant too.

At least with your method you can go back inside as it seems more like one a couple steps to do at one time. The process I used was needed a few steps to be done within a 30 minute process. So when it's cold, I think your process would be worth an extra few minutes of getting the smoker up to temp so you wouldn't have to hang outside with it.

4tonns
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the info. I guess the reason I didnt consider the spicewine is because I thought they were more expensive. Now that I looked closer to them I will throw them into the mix. Thanks for making it harder to decide:-D. I am leaning toward the Backwoods because it is made in Louisiana and I should keep the money in state. But then again if I keep reading there is no telling which one I get.

Thanks again for the help.

seattlepitboss
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I thought the Stumps cookers had a problem with their fireboxes burning through.

Bamabuzzard
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
If it was an issue I don't think it is anymore. A matter of fact I'm almost certain it's not an issue. Stumps has a website with a message board and owners are real honest and forthcoming about issues they have experienced or are experiencing with their units. The owner of Stumps actively addresses their concerns on the message board. I do not recall reading anything about fireboxes burning through. The worst thing I've read is internal grease fires/"flare ups" which has been addressed according to Stumps.

My Baby Stumps unit has done nothing but purr like a cat. I've cooked intensely on it since this summer and haven't had one single problem. It is very well built and sturdy. Almost to the point like a Sherman Tank.

I thought the Stumps cookers had a problem with their fireboxes burning through.

Bamabuzzard
11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
If you're able I'd make a trip to Dixie Inn, LA and talk with Mike, the owner of Backwoods. Talk about a good guy, he's a great guy and will not lead you astray. He'll tell you what you NEED not what he wants you to buy.

I've visited his shop several times. A little off the the beaten path but well worth the trip.

Again, you cannot go wrong between a Stumps or a Backwoods. I've never cooked on a Spicewine so I cannot comment good or bad on those units.

But both Stumps and Backwoods are awesome smokers that put out some serious good Q. Good luck.

And one rule of thumb when purchasing from a manufacturer. In a case of a smoker you WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Thanks for all the info. I guess the reason I didnt consider the spicewine is because I thought they were more expensive. Now that I looked closer to them I will throw them into the mix. Thanks for making it harder to decide:-D. I am leaning toward the Backwoods because it is made in Louisiana and I should keep the money in state. But then again if I keep reading there is no telling which one I get.

Thanks again for the help.

Bigmista
11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I have two Spicewines and love them both. The other cookers are fine tools but when you look at price per sq in of cooking area and the solid construction and the choice of colors, the Spicewine stands out. And they are manufactured by a brother.

Bamabuzzard
11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Just visited your website and read the "About us" link. Great story and congratulations. Here's to continued success. :eusa_clap

I have two Spicewines and love them both. The other cookers are fine tools but when you look at price per sq in of cooking area and the solid construction and the choice of colors, the Spicewine stands out. And they are manufactured by a brother.