PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wings

Savannahsmoker
11-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I need some help for hot wings. If you got any ideas post please.

Moose
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I need some help for hot wings. If you got any ideas post please.

Can you be a little more specific, i.e. what kind of hot wings? The traditional kind that are battered, fried, then tossed in hot sauce, or something grilled or smoked?

Meat Burner
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Franks Hot Sauce.

Midnight Smoke
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Franks Hot Sauce.

Ditto, I put mine in a Ziplock and let set overnight or longer.

SmokinCoyote
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Franks Hot Sauce.

THat's what I use. I'll either grill or smoke some wings. When they are done I'll dip them in a mixture of Franks, melted butter, and a little worchestershire sauce. THen put them back on the grill for a couple of minutes and it sets the sauce up a little. I like them this way alot better then the fried ones. And I like smoked ones better then grilled ones.

jagardn
11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is a homemade wing sauce I made last weekend, everyone at my party loved it.

1/4 Cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1 TB Light Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Fresh Ginger
1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 Clove Crushed Garlic
2 TB Unsalted Butter

Mix all ingredients except butter in a saucepan simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and mix until melted. Put in a sealed container with wings and shake to cover the wings.
Will cover about 20 wings.

If anyone makes it...let me know what you think.

bigabyte
11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I smoke-grill mine on the Kettle or WSM. Offset on the kettle with charcoal and wood, or set up for hot and fast smoking in the WSM. Basically I'm smoking them at around 350 which cooks pretty fast but is in the smoke plenty long enough to get smoky flavor in the chicken. This also can make for a crisper skin than straight smoked. I like pecan and/or cherry for the wood. As for the wings, I cut off the flipper, and usually even cut the remainder into 2 separate pieces too, but that's not necessary. Simply marinate in some wing sauce for 15-30 minutes, then on the cooker until they are done. I will brush on more sauce or toss in sauce at the 15 minute mark, and again when done. Love it this way. It's healthier than fried too. I like to experiment with various premade sauces, but making your own is not hard, the recipe is straightforward and a search will yield a million or so hits.

Meat Burner
11-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Savannahsmoker, lot of good ways to do wings. Timing of your post was good as our local Sertoma Club put on our 9th annual "Wingapaloosa" tonight. 24 local restaurants served only wings to the public. We are estimating at least 4,000 people attended to sample the restaurants' wings. GAWD this was good stuff. Franks Hot Sauce had a booth so I stocked up. Wasn't trying to hijack your post, just the timing was cool. I do think you will get some good recipes by doing a search. One of the "Throwdowns" was wings which was simply amazing. Check that one out. Let us know what you end up doing.

Wampus
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah....I have to agree with Moose. "HOT WINGS" is very general. I prefer to indirect grill/smoke my wings. There's a million different recipes out there. My brother and I did about 4-5 different recipes this summer at a cookout for the family. There was an asian recipe that was very good and a "Tequila-Lime" recipe that was outstanding. Can't seem to find it now, though. I know I just google'd "grilled chicken wing recipes" and got the motherload.

I like to make up the marinade and soak the wings overnight prior to grilling. Sometimes I shake a rub on the grill, sometimes not. HOT is a variable that's pretty easily attained, depending on what you're looking for. You can crank up the heat with crushed peppers (dry) either in the marinade or in the dust on the grill.

Sorry no specifics......there's just so many to choose from!

Can you be a little more specific, i.e. what kind of hot wings? The traditional kind that are battered, fried, then tossed in hot sauce, or something grilled or smoked?

NorthwestBBQ
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Meat is right, the answer is Frank's Hot Sauce mixed 50/50 with Parkay or I Can't Believe it's not Butter margarine (the recipe is right on the bottle.)

MJHuffDaddy
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
TAPATIO Salsa Picante... 'Nuff Said!!!

Blackened
11-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Franks guy here too.. indirect on the Weber with some apple or cherry for smoke..

Crazy Harry
11-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I smoked some then added
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2585/4041600464_b95891db0d.jpg
they didn't seem all that hot to me.

I'll try some of the other suggestions mentioned above.

Cast Iron Chef
11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I cut the tips off sprinkle on cayenne pepper and grill. Mix a sauce of Sweet Baby Rays, Louisiana hot sauce and honey. You can make them as hat as you like. Serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Hugh Jorgan
11-05-2009, 12:07 AM
If I'm doing "Buffalo" style wings, I like straight Franks to marinate, then cook above 300* F. Brush while cooking with Franks/Butter. That's the quick easy way.

If I'm doing hot wings for a few people, I like to try a few different sauces, but apply pretty much the same way. I always make about half with the Frank's though. People will always fall back on them if they don't like the others. One of my favorites is my yellow pulled pork sauce, with added pepper. I try different prepared sauces too. I like Peri Peri sauce. There are a lot of choices for wings!

deguerre
11-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Meat is right, the answer is Frank's Hot Sauce mixed 50/50 with Parkay or I Can't Believe it's not Butter margarine (the recipe is right on the bottle.)
Yep, that's what I do too. Cept I use real butter.

NorthwestBBQ
11-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Yep, that's what I do too. Cept I use real butter.

Am I a rebel if I tell you that margarine works better? I learned it from a top chef...

txags2011
11-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I've never done grilled, always fried naked right out if the package. call me a purist but a real "buffalo" wing has to be fried plain and tossed in a sauce. On that note, whether you are frying or not, this is my favorite sauce i have made

1/2 cup Jack Daniels Original BBQ sauce
1/4 cup Louisiana hot sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1-2 tbsp brown sugar (depends on how sweet/sticky you want them)
1 tsp onion powder

Its nice and easy and a perfect blend of hot and sweet. If you want to get fancy sometimes i mince a few cloves of garlic and sweat them a little in the pan, then deglaze with a little Jack and then add the rest of the stuff, minus the garlic powder, and let it simmer for 10 min or so.

Wings are awesome...

gfap61
11-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I use a dry rub and then smoke until almost done. I then toss them in a mixture of franks, huyfong Chili Garlic sauce, butter and a little squirt of sweet baby rays. They have turned out great every time. It has become the dish that I am asked to bring to all the family gatherings

gfap61
11-05-2009, 07:25 AM
I then throw them over direct heat to finish cooking and crisp up the skin

Smokey Al Gold
11-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I cook indirect on the kettle with some hickory or mesquite for smoke. I sprinkle them with Yardbird and usually toss in Frank's Buffalo wing sauce after cooking. I never marinated them in the sauce before I cook but I will definately try that now.

bigabyte
11-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Margarine does give it that particular flavor over butter that is preferred in hot wings, but I don't use margarine any more because of trans fats. If you don't mind trans fats in your diet, go ahead and use margarine. I'm not a health nut, and think most everything they say is healthy one week will be proven unhealthy the next, but I have gone for more "natural" food, less processed.

Oh, except MSG. I eat a spoonful every morning from a galvanized spoon.

deguerre
11-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Am I a rebel if I tell you that margarine works better? I learned it from a top chef...
Well cool. I'm gonna do that next time - margarine is WAAY less expensive! I was following the Julia Child method. :wink:

icemncmth
11-05-2009, 07:58 AM
I put a simple rub on my smoke them for an hour at 200 then turn up the heat and mop with Franks Red. About 15 mins before they are done I mix equal parts Franks, butter, honey and a pinch of salt and some black pepper, This is more of a glaze.

Smokey Al Gold
11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Is there a big difference in taste if you marinate them in the hot sauce before cooking?

billm
11-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I cut the tips then split them .i then grill them after dusting with Dizzy Pigs Raging River Rub then toss/coat in a mix of melted butter and hot sauce..I lean toward Tabasco brand Habanero or Chipotle. I also like Pitbull. Just use whatever hot sauce you like mixed with butter.
if you want them really tender you can leave them in the pan you used to coat them with the butter/ hot sauce..cover with foil and throw the pan on the grill for about 15-20 min