PDA

View Full Version : What a good rub? For a first timer.

SirDanK
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
I am going to smoke my first butt and was wonder what a good, simple, and easy rub would be and the process. Thanks.

seattlepitboss
10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Here's my pork butt rub. I slather with cheap yellow mustard (CYM) and then liberally sprinkle with this rub:

Pork Rub

6 paprika
1 celery salt
1 sugar
1 sage (be sure it's well powdered)
1 mustard
1.5 chipotle
1 onion powder (sifted through screen-type strainer)
1 garlic powder

Using tablespoon as the measure yields just enough rub to do six racks of ribs.

Make this as needed. It can be stored, but it clumps badly.

NOTE: chipotle powder can be prepared from fresh jalapenos by smoking them
until dry and brittle or nearly so. Then toss the peppers on a pan and toast them in a hot oven for 3 minutes or until the smell comes out. If you let them go longer the kitchen will fill with acrid smoke. Out of the oven, they should be very brittle. Break off the stem and grind the remaining whole peppers in batches in the spice grinder. A dust mask is an excellent idea.

seattlepitboss

Cast Iron Chef
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I like McCormicks pork rub. Makes your butt proud. Maybe not as good as some home made but still good and convienient.

landarc
10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Here is a simple first time process.

Rub:
1 parts kosher salt
3 parts medium grind black pepper
.5 parts chile powder

Rub entire butt with crushed garlic, then apply rub liberally, let sit for an hour, put on smoker. This should give you a good baseline to start from. You can't go wrong with buying a commercial rub, I always like Pappy's as a widely commercial rub.

Res6cue
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I make a rub that is a mix of:
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Mustard Powder
Cumin
Cayenne
Gound Coffee
Onion Powder
and sometimes Brown Sugar

chambersuac
10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh boy, I don't make my own rubs - found too many GREAT ones from the Brethren - and I don't know if I could make one on my own that even comes close. I can't tell you which is my favorite, because it changes based on my mood and the direction of the wind (or something). I'd list some of them, but I'm afraid I'd forget someone. But, so far the rule has been, if one of the Brethren makes it, it's better than good!