PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever bought or used one of these Orion SS Cookers?

HARRYSTOWN
10-23-2009, 09:44 PM
http://gypsyjournal.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/smoker-web.jpg

HARRYSTOWN
10-23-2009, 09:45 PM
I dont have one but looks interesting.

Paul B
10-23-2009, 10:05 PM
My neighbor has one and is still getting use to it. He takes it camping so it is pretty protable. I think it comes with hanging thingies to hang ribs and whatever. I wouldn't pay for the size of it even though it is all SS. Although it would compliment my all SS UDS!!

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/PaulB12/DSCF5295.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Taste is ok, I like my drum taste better.

Paul B

vermin99
10-24-2009, 04:11 AM
I have one. I haven't used it in a while though. It works as advertised and food cooks on it real fast.The meat cooked in it especially poultry is a little too moist for my liking and it uses a lot of charcoal. The original one (bigger of the two) comes with 3 racks, a drip pan, 3 rib racks, poultry stand and lifting tool.

swibirun
10-24-2009, 06:07 AM
White Trash BBQ blog did a couple of posts about the orion cooker here (************************************/search?q=orion). One of the posts includes a write up of a cook he did on it.

At the price he got his, it was enough of a curiosity that I tried to score one at the local Home Depot at that time but they were already gone.

Skidder
10-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Paul you have a lot of _alls calling that a UDS. That is a thing of beauty and needs to be in a whole nother class all by itself. If I could put that on a ring I would give it to my wife for our anniversary. Very impressive. Oh yeah I've seen the Orion but never used one. How much are $$ they ?

Big Poppa
10-24-2009, 08:42 AM
YThe orion got me into this whole deal...

Pros....

Fast

Idiot Proof

Cons
Matchlight

expensive

messy clean up

tjus77
10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Paul you have a lot of _alls calling that a UDS. That is a thing of beauty and needs to be in a whole nother class all by itself. If I could put that on a ring I would give it to my wife for our anniversary. Very impressive. Oh yeah I've seen the Orion but never used one. How much are $$ they ?

change the name to CDS? Chrome Drum Smoker... looks great btw

vr6Cop
10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
My little brother has one and raves about it. I haven't eaten anything off of it yet, but he's really happy with it.

MJHuffDaddy
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I have one, and use it in concert with my smoker as the orioin is NOT a smoker. When I am in a rush, I will use very heavy smoke for 2 hours on the smoker then load up the Orion, after a total of 5 hrs between the two, you can have 15-16 lbs of perfect pork.
The orion is a closed system, load the meat, close her up, and then load the 13.8 lbs of match light around it. Make sure it is placed is a safe area as it turns into an inferno!!!
It uses high indirect heat from outside, convection and steam inside.
Chicken, turkey and pork work excellent in it, ribs (you can load 6 racks of BBs ata time) need to be direct flamed after cooking to 'give them the look'. I have not tried beef in it. Remember, this is NOT a smoker...

Hotrodhog
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
My friend from work picked one up on close out rack at a lowes, he got it for $40.00.
He swears by it, I would never pay the retail price, but size wise it does appear to be......Tailgate approved.