PDA

View Full Version : Pellets on a UDS

indianagriller
10-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Has anyone ever used pellets in a regular off set or a UDS. What would be the pros and cons of it. It seems like i could buy a big bag of pellets for about the same price of a couple bags of wood but the pellets would last longer. Any info would be good.

BlkJeep
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Somewhere on the UDS thread they added an auger for pellets to a drum but I haven't read where anyone burned pellets only. I guess you would need a new char basket?

dmprantz
10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I had a pellet feeder built for my offset stick burner. It works and allows me to sleep through the night at home and at comps. That one was built from "junkyard" parts and home built controllers, but I eventually mutated my Stoker to control it. All in all I like it but I've decided to learn from my mistakes and build a new one. One of my biggest complaints is all the time it takes to setup compared to a commercial pellet pooper. My next one will be more integrated. Once I have it built, I was planning to prototype it in a drum as well: No reason it shouldn't work.

dmp

Bbq Bubba
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Easier using an oven.

Smokey Al Gold
10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I know you could put the pellets in a cast iron smoke box and put that on top of your lit charcoal for smoke.

Neil
10-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I use pellets in my Weber kettle making a pouch out of HD foil then placing on the coals.

indianagriller
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
i was just curious if you could mix them with the charcoal instead of usin the wood chunks in the charcoal...

Paul B
10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Has anyone ever used pellets in a regular off set or a UDS. What would be the pros and cons of it. It seems like i could buy a big bag of pellets for about the same price of a couple bags of wood but the pellets would last longer. Any info would be good.

YES, can't think of his name right off, but he built a SS uds and slapped a pellet feeder to it. He is the one with an animated avatar of a pig with human lookin teeth. Funny I remember the avatar and not the name, never have been good with names.

He posts right regular.........bbq lover is his handle..........just found it

Paul B