PDA

View Full Version : BGE… New mini or Used small??

Que-Dawg
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
What would you all do?
A new mini egg with stand and a bag of lump or a used small egg with a place setter, nest and oven mitts (6 months old they are say)? Prices are $300 for the mini or $350 for the small.
I am leaning to the small egg pretty heavy and will save for a mini latter.

Ross in Ventura
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
If it was me, I would go for the small

Ross

1FUNVET
10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Bigger is better-in most cases.:rolleyes:

anamosity
10-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Small, plus it comes with the extras.

Hugh Jorgan
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Small used definitely. From what I've been reading, you'll be saving for the Big Egg after using the small a few times.

skeetman
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Bigger is better

sbramm
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
go with the mini....

cook on it, realize you need more space to cook for you and the wife, call the guy with the small and find it that it is still available.....

buy the small and now you have two!!!

Que-Dawg
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
go with the mini....

cook on it, realize you need more space to cook for you and the wife, call the guy with the small and find it that it is still available.....

buy the small and now you have two!!!

I already have a Large Egg, this will just be an addition to the family:-D

Plowboy
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, if you already have a Large... what are you looking to do? I think the small with the extras is a better deal.

cdollar
10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Buy 'em both.
Try 'em both.
Sell the one you like least. Problem solved.

Chuck

Ron_L
10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Buy 'em both.
Try 'em both.
Sell the one you like least. Problem solved.

Chuck

I like the way you think, Chuck! I'd never sell either one, however :-D

How many people are you cooking for? I like my small when it is just my wife and me and I am cooking more than just meat (potatoes, veggies, etc.) or larger meat cuts. The mini is great when I am cooking smaller cuts (like NY Strips) or brats and don't need to cook much more than the meat. A mini will feed two normal people or one Poohbah :biggrin:

The used small price seems a bit high. I bought mine including a table for under $200 off of CL.

Que-Dawg
10-21-2009, 05:09 PM
I like the way you think, Chuck! I'd never sell either one, however :-D

How many people are you cooking for? I like my small when it is just my wife and me and I am cooking more than just meat (potatoes, veggies, etc.) or larger meat cuts. The mini is great when I am cooking smaller cuts (like NY Strips) or brats and don't need to cook much more than the meat. A mini will feed two normal people or one Poohbah :biggrin:

The used small price seems a bit high. I bought mine including a table for under $200 off of CL.

I have a large and LOVE her. I eventually want both a small and a mini. For the same purposes as you stated. Large for bigger cooks, small for just us and the mini for dogs, MOINK balls, snacks. But the extra funds are only there for one or the other right now.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a large and LOVE her. I eventually want both a small and a mini. For the same purposes as you stated. Large for bigger cooks, small for just us and the mini for dogs, MOINK balls, snacks. But the extra funds are only there for one or the other right now.

get the small before someone else buys it. is it close to the lake? i'll have my friend down there look it up. :biggrin:

wait for the spring hinge mini next year.

and it's plaTe setter :roll:

Que-Dawg
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
get the small before someone else buys it. is it close to the lake? i'll have my friend down there look it up. :biggrin:

wait for the spring hinge mini next year.

and it's plaTe setter :roll:

No it’s not down by the Lake, mom found it some were. But we will be on the dock this weekend cooking. I just called the lady and she came down to $300 and is throwing a bag of stubs charcoal in. Going Saturday morning to pick it up.
Also you have a good point about the mini with the new spring hinge.

Big George's BBQ
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
the small was a good choice hopefully we will see pics

thillin
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Good choice. I've been wanting a small to add to the gaggle.

Rib Fan
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
You made a great choice in the small. More versatile than the mini. I have the large/small combo and could not be happier. If you want a mini get one later. I am toying with the idea but I dont really "need" one.
A big plus with the small is the ability to do low and slow without having to fashion an improvised heat barrier.

Wayne