PDA

View Full Version : Dry Rub for Ribs

AUGreenEgg
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I am smoking some ribs this weekend and have never done this before (all by myself that is).
I want to make a dry rub rib. I have been reading on blogs and other recipes that friends have given me. But wanted to ask the Brethren.

Is it necessary to have the "moister" stage of some sort of apple juice or apple cider mix under the ribs when smoking dry ribs?
I have seen both and wanted some people opinions.

Thanks in advance!

War Damn Eagle!!

cdollar
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I just put the rub on the night before and the ribs are moist when I put them on. I think it just depends on what you like. Some I sauce, some I don't. It will take you a bunch of slabs to finally decide just how you like them. I've been making ribs for over 45 years and I'm still tweaking my method and recipes.

Most important, don't push them.

Chuck

landarc
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I take the rub straight to the ribs. I wash them, dry them with a cotton towel, then coat them with rub and let them sit for 1/2 hour while the coals heat up. No slather or liquid necessary, although it is a valid choice.

Porky
10-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Some folks use cheap yellow mustard or worcestershire sauce as the glue to hold on the rub. Others go bareback and just sprinkle with there favorite rub. There is no right or wrong in BBQ, just the way you want to do it. It's all good.

DeoreDX
10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I take the rub straight to the ribs. I wash them, dry them with a cotton towel, then coat them with rub and let them sit for 1/2 hour while the coals heat up. No slather or liquid necessary, although it is a valid choice.

+1. That's what I do.

JD McGee
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I do a light mustard slather and good coat of rub 4 hours before smoking...:-P Good luck! :biggrin:

hogwild284
10-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I like to rub and let them sit overnight. Some get slathered and some don't. Try them all ways til you find what you like.

82muchhomework
10-16-2009, 02:55 PM
+2 on this method

My rub has salt and brown sugar in it (among other things) so as it sits for that 30mins while the smoker warms up it draws out the moisture from the ribs (No mustard necessary). You will be able to recognize this since your rub will look wet, like it turned to molasses. I think leaving the rub on overnight might draw out more moisture but impart more flavor. 30 mins is enough for me. YMMV

If using sugar in the rub, keep the temps under 250. Too much higher for too long and your sugar will burn. Tastes like bitter crusty chit on your ribs (personal experience there).

Mine run for about 4.5 hours or so at about 230. I use the bend test and do not wrap. You may want to look up the 3-2-1 method too. Its all good and I venture to bet that every brothers suggestion on here will turn out good ribs. Find the method that seems intriguing to you and try it. It took me about 10 cooks to find the method I like and to have ribs I was happy with.

Post your pron for some affirmation.

wickedbbq'r
10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Check out Steven Raichlen's site http://www.bbqu.net/ there is a memphis dry rub recipe. I have tried it a couple of times with the optional mop sauce and is very good. It's a good place to start. Good Luck!

Chappy
10-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I am smoking some ribs this weekend and have never done this before (all by myself that is).
I want to make a dry rub rib. I have been reading on blogs and other recipes that friends have given me. But wanted to ask the Brethren.

Is it necessary to have the "moister" stage of some sort of apple juice or apple cider mix under the ribs when smoking dry ribs?
I have seen both and wanted some people opinions.

Thanks in advance!

War Damn Eagle!!

Are you using a Green Egg? If you are, you don't need to add any type of liquid. If you foil after a few hours, you can add a little apple juice, but I really don't find that it adds anything, and I stopped doing it. I just put 3 racks on my egg. A homemade rub with brown sugar, salt, white pepper, paprika, msg, garlic powder. Then some Lotta Bull's rub on top of that.

bonefish
10-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Here is the rub I use:
Kick Butt Pork Rub
This recipe is great on Boston butts, country style ribs, spare/babyback ribs and pork loins. Your favorite pork cut
http://www.barbecuen.com/newsletters/images/wholehog-thumb.jpg

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup onion salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs salt
1 Tbs parsley, dried
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix thoroughly. Rub thoroughly into meat and allow to sit for 2 hours. Cook on pit using indirect heat (heat on one side of the grill and the meat on the other). Cook at 225° until done. Depending upon the cut of meat, generally: ribs 3-6 hours, tenderloins 3-4 hours, butts (depending upon size) 3-18 hours [cook until you can hold 180°-190° for 1 hour]. Store remainder in air tight jar and keep in freezer.

Something else I do is rub the ribs with brown sugar and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator and them put the rub on them. If you have spare ribs, google how to make St. Louis style ribs out of spare ribs. I dod it last week and they are great.
Good luck.

bonefish
10-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Here is the rub I use:
Kick Butt Pork Rub
This recipe is great on Boston butts, country style ribs, spare/babyback ribs and pork loins. Your favorite pork cut

http://www.barbecuen.com/newsletters/images/wholehog-thumb.jpg

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup onion salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs salt
1 Tbs parsley, dried
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix thoroughly. Rub thoroughly into meat and allow to sit for 2 hours. Cook on pit using indirect heat (heat on one side of the grill and the meat on the other). Cook at 225° until done. Depending upon the cut of meat, generally: ribs 3-6 hours, tenderloins 3-4 hours, butts (depending upon size) 3-18 hours [cook until you can hold 180°-190° for 1 hour]. Store remainder in air tight jar and keep in freezer.

Something else I do is rub the ribs with brown sugar and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator and them put the rub on them. If you have spare ribs, google how to make St. Louis style ribs out of spare ribs. I dod it last week and they are great.
Good luck.