PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...

chambersuac
10-15-2009, 05:01 PM
{Mods, if this is in the wrong place, accept my apologies, and move, as needed. Thanks.}

I was searching Craigslist in Southern IL, as I'll be there next week for a conference. I found this:
http://carbondale.craigslist.org/for/1417927235.html

He says, "Just bought a gas grill, so no need for a charcoal grill."

Why, why, WHY do people who already have a charcoal grill (and a nice one, at that) think that moving to gas is a step up and a reason to get rid of their charcoal? Why, somebody, tell me, why???

Okay, I'm gonna go back to writing my sermon. Thanks for letting me rant.

BBQ Grail
10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I've gotten my best score from people who have "upgraded" from charcoal...

deguerre
10-15-2009, 05:10 PM
And here I'm wanting to "Upgrade" from gas - as soon as I can afford to.

chambersuac
10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
And here I'm wanting to "Upgrade" from gas - as soon as I can afford to.

Until then, remember that you CAN smoke on a gas grill. It's not quite the same, but works okay...

landarc
10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I am waiting for the day Dan's sermon is about the perception of upgrading in one's life and the homily of the misguided who think they are upgrading to gas who already have all they need with charcoal...

chambersuac
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I am waiting for the day Dan's sermon is about the perception of upgrading in one's life and the homily of the misguided who think they are upgrading to gas who already have all they need with charcoal...

Doesn't sound too far off base - if you change a couple of words - maybe the homily to the misguided who think that they must upgrade their salvation, who already have all they need in Christ.

Hmmmm....may have to work that in soon...

deguerre
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Until then, remember that you CAN smoke on a gas grill. It's not quite the same, but works okay...
Yep! Found that out last weekend!

Grillman
10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
People are different; and have different needs, and desires.
Gas grills are much easier, and faster, to use for cooking.....not better....just different.
Many people don't know what REAL smoked food tastes like (BBQ).

With Gas grills...I think you get more of a pure flavor of the meat....with charcoal
you get the meat flavor along with the Charcoal flavor....and of course with smoke,
you get the smoky flavor.

People are just different.

aquablue22
10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I am not quite sure why you have to get rid of one to get another...........what the heck is that all about :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now I can understand a wife.................

Garyclaw
10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Doesn't sound too far off base - if you change a couple of words - maybe the homily to the misguided who think that they must upgrade their salvation, who already have all they need in Christ.

Hmmmm....may have to work that in soon...
-------------------------------
I like the way you're goin w/ that. I was born and raised in Pana in Christen Co. Is that anywhere near you? Do you "Q" on Sundays?:icon_devil

deguerre
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Gas grills are much easier, and faster, to use for cooking.....not better....just different.

With Gas grills...I think you get more of a pure flavor of the meat....with charcoal
you get the meat flavor along with the Charcoal flavor....and of course with smoke,

Sage advice.

Bushwacker
10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I wish there were more deals like that around here.. We have more people upgrading there gassers for bigger gasers...

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 07:45 PM

You can but you will NOT get a smoke ring...:-P

Rich Parker
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I got a nice 22.5 kettle for $15 from a couple that upgraded to gas. He looked at me funny when I was excited to give him $15.

http://www.richardmparker.com/storage/08_19_09_weber_kettle/Kettle1.JPG

jdub
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM
SHHHHHHH! Don't tell, you'll wreck our supply of 25 dollar kettles:mrgreen:

deguerre
10-15-2009, 08:20 PM
You can but you will NOT get a smoke ring...:-P
Actually, I got a very nice smoke ring on both my fatty's AND butt!:-D

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Actually, I got a very nice smoke ring on both my fatty's AND butt!:-D

You got a smoke ring on a gasser? I guess you don't know that the smoke ring is a chemical reaction caused by using charcoal or wood as the heat source. It does not come from the smoke.

landarc
10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
It is possible if he used wood chunks or a lot of chips in smoke boxes. I can do it if I want.

deguerre
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
You got a smoke ring on a gasser? I guess you don't know that the smoke ring is a chemical reaction caused by using charcoal or wood as the heat source. It does not come from the smoke.
Please explain as I'm very new. I thought the darkened areas on the outer perimeter were smoke rings. If I have mispoken, I do apologize to all.

mbshop
10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
i sure hope this "upgrade" trend continues.:-D

MushCreek
10-15-2009, 08:50 PM
We have a Weber gasser to supplement the regular grilling and smoking. My wife uses it mostly. It works well, and is handy during the work week. Neither of us think it will ever replace real BBQ, though.

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is my smoke ring. I hope you can see the difference...:-P

cowgirl
10-15-2009, 08:59 PM
One can never have too many smokers. :wink:

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 09:00 PM
True that, Jeanie...:-D

landarc
10-15-2009, 09:32 PM
One can never have to many outdoor cooking implements. Just look up BrisketBob.

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 09:32 PM
One can never have to many outdoor cooking implements. Just look up BrisketBob.

Or Swamprb...:-P

Hugh Jorgan
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
With the right mix of rub, you can get a pretty "smoke" ring in the electric oven. Look at the pork next time you go to a Chinese buffet.

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
With the right mix of rub, you can get a pretty "smoke" ring in the electric oven. Look at the pork next time you go to a Chinese buffet.

Yes, rubs that contain Nitrates. The same chemical that is in wood and charcoal that causes the "smoke ring."

Saiko
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
The main purpose of my gasser is to clean my smoker and grill grates.
I also use them for grilled pizza since I make two at a time, and I like being able to turn the burners off while I flip and add the toppings (I don't use a stone).
If I ever get around to buying a large Primo, I'll probably just get rid of the gasser.

landarc
10-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Hugh, nowadays they use cure in the 'BBQ' meats they sell in Chinese places, in the old days, they used gas/wood burning vertical ovens to create a similar product to the original that is still cooked in wood burning vertical ovens in China. That smoke ring was real and the char siu, duck and chickens tasted better.

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Hugh, nowadays they use cure in the 'BBQ' meats they sell in Chinese places, in the old days, they used gas/wood burning vertical ovens to create a similar product to the original that is still cooked in wood burning vertical ovens in China. That smoke ring was real and the char siu, duck and chickens tasted better.

I compete, the rules are clear - no gas and no electric...:-P

landarc
10-15-2009, 11:57 PM
When I finally locate the darned char siu recipe, which I tucked into one of my cookbooks for safe keeping, I will show you guys what real char siu tastes like when cooked over charcoal fire.

big brother smoke
10-16-2009, 12:34 AM
SHHHHHHH! Don't tell, you'll wreck our supply of 25 dollar kettles:mrgreen:

I am BBS and I support this statement!:biggrin:

JiveTurkey
10-16-2009, 02:05 AM
I love it when people go gas and sell their webers on the cheap, it's a wonderful thing. I just got a SS performer from a college kid for $50, he had a nice new "Perfect Flame" gasser on the patio. He'll be replacing that grill and I'll still be rockin' the Weber!

NorthwestBBQ
10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
When I cooked over charcoal fire.

I rest my case...:-P

deguerre
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Here is my smoke ring. I hope you can see the difference...:-P
Actually, THIS post rested your case.:-P

ComputerMike
10-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Another benefit of the upgrade is the extras they throw in because "I won't need these anymore". Charcoal chimneys, charcoal, heck I even find a use for the inevitable can of lighter fluid they throw into the deal.

swamprb
10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
If it were not for craigslist, and folks upgrading to gas, or moving, or going vegetarian, or its missing a wheel or my co-op outlawed BBQ's on the deck, or my husband left me for another woman....and its dirty, or it's only been used a couple times, or I just don't have the time, or...., or...., or..... The list goes on and I've heard it all! Who the fark cares?
I made excuses for selling my propane GOSM, Silver Smoker a chit load of kettles and Genesis grills or Kamados! Take a look at my pit list-it's all from craigslist.

And guess what? I'm still lookin' everyday for the next score!!

chambersuac
10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, don't get me wrong - I've gotten a few cookers from "upgrades" too - I just don't get why they think they are upgrading - or why the feel the need to get rid of the charcoal. Is there a one cooker limit I don't know about?

I don't want them to stop...

jt
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
I guess I've been downgrading. :roll: I got a big Jenn Aire gas grill about the same time I got my Bandera. This year I gave the gasser to my SIL for all the big get togethers when we just cook burgers & brats. Nothing but charcoal and wood at my house.

deguerre
10-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey guys, don't get me wrong - I've gotten a few cookers from "upgrades" too - I just don't get why they think they are upgrading - or why the feel the need to get rid of the charcoal. Is there a one cooker limit I don't know about?

I don't want them to stop...
I don't think anyone got you wrong. My next purchase is going to be a Webber Kettle because I've GOT to have coal fired food too, and the kettle can be upgraded/enhanced. I got the GOSM because of budgetary concerns coupled with the initial need of minimum tending until my skills are better and I have more time to obsess, and because it does make very decent food.

mranum
10-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi, I'm Matt and I'm a charcoal-aholic.....

When I was a kid we had an el'cheapo charcoal grill that worked but was a pain to use. Couldn't wait for winter to cook over the fireplace. When I got around to getting a grill after I moved out on my own I had definitely "upgraded to a gas grill". It was great, instant fire and all the rest. It wasn't until when we got a married a few years ago that we got a 18" silver kettle as a wedding present. Wasn't thrilled with having to "go back" to charcoal again, but after it sat in the shed(in the box yet) for a year or more, and the burners rotted out of my gas grill I decided to try the charcoal.

I couldn't believe what I have been missing :-D.

Now, we have a small portable gas grill for outings and very quick hot dog meals, but if we want something good its on the Weber, or the UDS.

landarc
10-16-2009, 07:56 PM
When I was a kid, we had a hibachi, and we liked it a lot. Then my dad decided to make it faster lighting, so he took the oxy acetylene torch to the coals Upgrade Mod V1, instant fire until it cracked and spilled hot coals all over his boot toes. Enter Upgrade Mod V2 which involved screwing the new hibachi to a heavy wooden plank to prevent splitting, and connecting the blower end of the vacuum cleaner to the air vent on one side. This worked fine, until it spectacularly failed, blowing glowing sparks into the night, where my mom could see them from the living room. Enter Weber kettle and things went well, until dad modified a MAPP gas torch, Upgrade Mod V3, resulting in a general melting of the charcoal grate and seizing of the air ports. Mom then bought a gasser to put an end to the upgrading.

NorthwestBBQ
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't think anyone got you wrong. My next purchase is going to be a Webber Kettle because I've GOT to have coal fired food too, and the kettle can be upgraded/enhanced. I got the GOSM because of budgetary concerns coupled with the initial need of minimum tending until my skills are better and I have more time to obsess, and because it does make very decent food.

You're right it can be expanded...:-D

http://cdbejg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pmSis84lmLPRCmAAj4NJCvOgaAJw6e2yyxUlyqBH4FfoNF8i RDPtiYFUs9tFEngVa9kSzUE2_djpzUyMOBRRP6A/DSC_0365.jpg

smoke-n-my-i's
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
He says, "Just bought a gas grill, so no need for a charcoal grill."

Why, why, WHY do people who already have a charcoal grill (and a nice one, at that) think that moving to gas is a step up and a reason to get rid of their charcoal? Why, somebody, tell me, why???

In the beginning, I started on a "cheap" charcoal grill. Then I thought a gas grill would be cool. I used them for years as they were so easy to light, get the food cooked fast, and easy to clean up. Then later in years, I got more educated, and have reverted back to charcoal and wood. So, in the mean time, let them step up to a gasser and we will revert back to their charcoal grills.... :-D

I think that most people really don't know the difference, and want the ease of just turning it on, throw on the meat, cook, and eat all within minutes. For the most part, everyone is in the "instant" mode and have to have it "right now", hence, fast food.

The main purpose of my gasser is to clean my smoker and grill grates.

I just about only use my 4 burner for the same purpose. I have had it almost 2 yrs now, and am only on the 2nd tank of gas.... they sure do clean the cast iron grates for my smokers real easy..... turn it on high, throw on the grates, wait a few minutes, brush, and take off, and then spray with veggie oil and ready to go again.

Just a matter of convienance in my book. For the most part, people are in a hurry, and just don't want to bother with "all that mess" of charcoal, lighter fluid, etc...... and no mess to clean up later... I like mess to clean up later... throw it in the gasser.... :mrgreen:

OK, going to look for upgrade rejects on CL.....

Beast Drinker
10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Believe you me I've got something that lights perfectly every time the temperature control is spot on and clean up is a snap. I wouldn't be without it. I call it the stove, everything else is charcoal fired.

texman02
10-17-2009, 12:03 AM
My gasser baked an apple cobbler this week ..... first fire in that thing in 3 months.... uds and rescued kettle are all i really care about cooking on these days!