PDA

View Full Version : Never Seen Before

ricksegers
10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I was meandering through the meat department at the Local Harris Tetter. They were running a special on corned beef briskets. No big deal until I spotted a corned eye of round. I did not get as I was unsure what to do with it. Any thoughts on what you would do with this beyond prepping it as one would a corned beef brisket?

Ron_L
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I can find them at the local Woodman's grocery store regularly. I like corned brisket better. the round is leaner and seemed to dry out more.

As far as what to do with it, you can do anything that you would do with a corned brisket. Soak it in clean water for 24 - 48 hours and smoke it to make pastrami, cook it in a crock pot with taters, carrots and cabbage, etc.

landarc
10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
In some parts of the world, corned round is more popular than corned brisket.

smokestack willie
10-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I believe those are pretty salty, be careful.

Teleking
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
the round is leaner and seemed to dry out more.

As far as what to do with it, you can do anything that you would do with a corned brisket. Soak it in clean water for 24 - 48 hours and smoke it to make pastrami, cook it in a crock pot with taters, carrots and cabbage, etc.

I agree with the soaking and change the water often to pull the salt out (unless you like salt).

I like to rub in Montréal steak seasoning and smoke to 150 internal and pull to rest in foil for 1 hour. Finish with steaming in a pressure cooker for 15 mins to tenderize (similar to deli pastrami). Let rest till cool and sit overnight in the fridge and slice thin the next day with a food slicer.

I like it because it is leaner and makes a great sandwich IMO.

thirdeye
10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I can find them at the local Woodman's grocery store regularly. I like corned brisket better. the round is leaner and seemed to dry out more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC07709a.jpg

Right, and I second the fact that they are great for pastrami. I do my normal procedure and treat it like a store bought corned brisket. The rounds do have less fat, which means I can enjoy more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC07697a.jpg

chickenskinmusic
10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with the soaking and change the water often to pull the salt out (unless you like salt).

I like to rub in Montréal steak seasoning and smoke to 150 internal and pull to rest in foil for 1 hour. Finish with steaming in a pressure cooker for 15 mins to tenderize (similar to deli pastrami). Let rest till cool and sit overnight in the fridge and slice thin the next day with a food slicer.

I like it because it is leaner and makes a great sandwich IMO.

If you want to remove the salt content of it, simply cut up a potato, put in the water along with brisket.