PDA

View Full Version : Need BGE Help

schellter
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I got a large BGE delivered today and did my first cook this evening (which didn't happen cause there are no picts) but it was only New York steaks anyway. I cooked the steaks at 650*. After the cook I put the green ceramic cap on the top vent and closed the bottom vent all the way. That was an hour and a half ago and the egg is still at 300*. What should I check?

Thanks,
Larry

deez20
09-29-2009, 11:16 PM
The eggs good at maintaining temps so i'd say thats pretty normal, just let it sit and it will cool off eventually. Also unless things have changed I thought it was advised to not do high heat cooks the first few uses to let the gasket set. I'm sure other will chime in with more advice.

thillin
09-29-2009, 11:17 PM
It takes a long while for the temp to drop due to the ceramic mass that's heated up. Don't open for the risk of feeding air to any coals that might still be lit. It'll be fine.

swamprb
09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I'd check your gaskets!

Midnight Smoke
09-29-2009, 11:44 PM
If it was mine I would open the dome JUST A LITTLE like an inch or so , close and do 3-4 more times then open the lid. Watch out for a flash fire flame shooting out. They can do this when hot smoldering coals are exposed to air to quickly. The reason I say do this is, if you did not already fry the gasket it may have got the adhesive hot enough to soften. By open the lid while warm you may prevent having the gasket stick shut to itself by just letting it cool down with the ambient air temp for awhile. You will need to re close the lid for overnight to put out the fire. Good Luck.

Psyco Realm
09-30-2009, 12:21 AM
i would open that BGE up and put some more grub on it and bring it work and feed my homie friends

Norcoredneck
09-30-2009, 06:36 AM
You should not have done a high temp cook till your gasket has set. Listen to Swamprb.

schellter
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The gaskets look just like they did the cooker was delivered yesterday. I reread the BGE "Operating Manual" this morning and there is no mention of a break-in procedure in the pamphlet. Where is the procedure documented?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Larry

Midnight Smoke
09-30-2009, 11:16 AM
The gaskets look just like they did the cooker was delivered yesterday. I reread the BGE "Operating Manual" this morning and there is no mention of a break-in procedure in the pamphlet. Where is the procedure documented?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Larry

To my knowledge it is not. From the hands on folks here it is well known to maintain the gasket it is important to do several low temp cooks to help set the gasket.

What color is the gasket you have?

This is mine after the 1st high temp cook.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/EGG/Picture039.jpg

vr6Cop
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Like a few have said, your temp will go down slowly. That's just the nature of ceramic. It holds the heat in for you. :)

If your gasket ends up looking like Terry's (above) then consider a Rutland gasket. I've had a Rutland for around 5 yrs now with no ill effects, and a great seal. :cool: