PDA

View Full Version : Erie Pennsylvanian Ox Roast?

CROSSCZEK
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I've got a good friend that asked if I could do an Ox Roast for her. She's originally from the Erie area and said she hasn't found anything like it locally (SE Michigan) and really misses it.
I'd like to bring a little piece of home to her (and stick another feather in my hat) but don't know what it is.

Anyone know what cut it is? How is it prepared?

As usual, any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

-scott

BBQ Grail
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I've got a good friend that asked if I could do an Ox Roast for her. She's originally from the Erie area and said she hasn't found anything like it locally (SE Michigan) and really misses it.
I'd like to bring a little piece of home to her (and stick another feather in my hat) but don't know what it is.

Anyone know what cut it is? How is it prepared?

As usual, any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

-scott

Beef round roast

BBQ Grail
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Tom Hill’s Ox Roast
8 ½ to 10 pounds beef round roast
3 pounds pork bones
Salt
Pepper
Generously season the beef with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Top with pork bones. Cover and cook on low heat (200 degrees) for about 4 hours, or until the internal temperature is 140 degrees.

Remove meat from cooker and allow cool. Wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight.

Remove bones from the juices and discard. Place in container and refrigerate overnight.

The next day remove meat and juices from fridge. Skim fat from top of juices and reheat. Thinly slice beef with knife – an electric knife would work nicely here. Put into pan with juices and serve warm over a nice roll.

SirPorkaLot
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Them Pennsylvania Women are a rare breed for sure (I know I have married two of them)

It appears to be a round roast, slow cooked over wood/coals in liquid for hours, and served on kaiser rolls, with a side of horseradish
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ox%20roast (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ox%20roast)

Good luck!

Redheart
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
See if you can get a Steamship Round.

dodgeramsst2003
09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Scott,

How is it that you always find the things that take the longest to cook? I'm all for an 8,10,12,14 hr cook, but now you find something that takes 3 days to be ready to eat??? lol.......

Chris