PDA

View Full Version : Bill's Pork Loin Technique Crosses Over :D

chad
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
I used Bill's Pork Loin method on Sunday while preparing Roast Pork Loin, baked acorn squash, fresh mashed potatoes and gravy, and apple crisp for about 100 people.

I used my Pyrex thermometer to keep an "eye" on the temps. I rubbed the loins down with oil (remember, I'm doing this in a convection oven rather than a smoker) and then salt and peppered them (total of 5 loins from 9-10.5 pounds).

Cooked them at about 300 degrees up to 165 then foiled them and put 'em back in the oven til 185. Pulled them and into the cooler (watched the temp go up to 190) until time to server. They didn't make three hours but had come down to about 170 when I sliced 'em.

The meat came out great. I didn't spray them as I would have if in the smoker and I was making gravy so didn't want the apple flavor in the gravy. But the meat was really moist and slice great.

So, the technique transfers over -- if I'd had a slow cooker oven I'd have tried slow cooking them at 250. Actually, I've done this in an Alto-Shamm so oven before and it works great.

Bill-Chicago
10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Corrected Lineage:

Tk's Brisket method applied to a pork loin by me applied to a convection oven by David.

To mmy
Bi ll
Da vid

The ToBiDa method, or more properly, 2BDa Method.

Oldtimer
10-06-2003, 01:50 PM
So which one of the three is the crossover ? :mrgreen:

chad
10-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Apparently I'm the switch hitter :D since I use both smoker and convection ovens!

chad
10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I even hit up the pastor and the church for a smoker large enough to do 'Q for 300-400 people and a grill for the same along with two fryers. He didn't just humor me -- I do almost all the event catering up there now and they are used to what I can do for them. It'll be a sweet day when I can call David Klose and order a smoker, with vertical, fajita grill and cook rings -- all large enough to do brisket, pork, or burgers and dogs for 400. :D

BBQchef33
10-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Apparently I'm the switch hitter :D since I use both smoker and convection ovens!

there ya go agin.. gettin in touch with that feminine side.. :)