PDA

View Full Version : First cook on UDS

Sizzlepig
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Walmart carries these cheap lamb ribs labeled as "Lamb Breast" for $1.78 a pound. They are really fatty and have a lot of connective tissue. I figured that tey were perfect to give the new UDS some flavor. I added two .5" brass nipples in the lid to improve the exaust. With a basket of RO lump, some peach wood chunks, and all 3 intakes open, it heated righ up to 300. I put the caps on 2 of the intakes and let it settle down to 250. I have a nice blue smoke so I guess it is working. I will let these go for several hours and there is so much fat on these that I will not wrap them. After the fat renders off, you are left with tender lamb goodness with a nice crust. Seasoned only with lemmon pepper. Mmmmmmmm.

peaspurple
09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.

Sizzlepig
09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Cooked them for 3 hours at 275. I got a lot of smoke due to the amount of fat dripping. The next time I will trim them a little. This UDS will take a little learning and I need to stop opening the lid so much. It's tough not to play with the new toy.

Blackened
09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks great!

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Not a big fan of Lamb at all, but even I'd have to hit that! Good job bro! And I know it's hard not to peek, but put your trust in the BBQ gods and the almighty UDS. One of these days I'm gonna hafta widdle me up one of those bad boys.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
looks great, i would like to try something simialr here.

Garth57
09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
What kind of setup you have at the top of the drum, as far as the lid and lip?

Sizzlepig
09-19-2009, 11:17 PM
It was a closed top drum. I used my saws-all to cut the top off. Running the foot of the saw along the lip of the drum left a 3/4" edge. I had to cut 2 notches in this edge to be able to fit the grill through. The lid is the end that was cut off of a 22" diameter water pressure tank. It sits on the ledge left from cutting the top off. Because the lid was not cut very evenly, it is not sealing very well. Tomorrow I am going to glue some stove gasket around the inside of the lip of the drum to eliminate this problem.

N8man
09-19-2009, 11:38 PM
It was a closed top drum. I used my saws-all to cut the top off. Running the foot of the saw along the lip of the drum left a 3/4" edge. I had to cut 2 notches in this edge to be able to fit the grill through. The lid is the end that was cut off of a 22" diameter water pressure tank. It sits on the ledge left from cutting the top off. Because the lid was not cut very evenly, it is not sealing very well. Tomorrow I am going to glue some stove gasket around the inside of the lip of the drum to eliminate this problem.
OutStanding Build and 1st Cook....Ingenious and Clever...

Toploader
09-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Not a big lamb fan either but it looks killer for a first run! Nice job on the lid as well.

Sizzlepig
09-20-2009, 01:18 AM
I ended up drilling 2 more 1/2" holes in the lid and it made a huge difference in the quality of the smoke and the temp control.

tntitan
09-20-2009, 08:55 AM
nice idea for the lid this lid needs to go under the ugly drum smoker link thanks for a great idea smoke on