PDA

View Full Version : Eggwegofest - Eggfest in Oswego, IL (Chicago Area)

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Who's going to be at Eggwegofest in Oswego on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009?

My schedule has finally firmed up and I will be there and will be cooking. I think Willkat is coming. Any one else? Dive?

http://eggwegofest.com/

I also need ideas on what to cook! I was going to make MOINK Balls but apparently I was too late and someone else is making MOINK Balls! (Must be a Brethren?) Now I am think about Sriracha-Orange Marmalade wings. Any other ideas? i want something easy to prep and easy for folks to eat. I need to plan on 150 people.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 08:29 AM
hmmmmm... that might be fun.
are you guys staying at a hotel or driving in?

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Di and I will be cooking also Ron. What time are you guys going? Do you want to meet up on the way somewhere? I know Wilkat said he was interested, but I think he might have had some conflicts.

We're cooking small bites, MOINKS, and other bacon wrapped bits (cherries, marinated water chestnuts, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
The marinated wings sound pretty good! Maybe medallions of marinated tenderloin? Kebabs?

Bigdog
09-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Has Bill even fired up his egg yet? :-P

Bigdog
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Who's going to be at Eggwegofest in Oswego on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009?

My schedule has finally firmed up and I will be there and will be cooking. I think Willkat is coming. Any one else? Dive?

http://eggwegofest.com/

I also need ideas on what to cook! I was going to make MOINK Balls but apparently I was too late and someone else is making MOINK Balls! (Must be a Brethren?) Now I am think about Sriracha-Orange Marmalade wings. Any other ideas? i want something easy to prep and easy for folks to eat. I need to plan on 150 people.

I'm thinking pig candy, Neil's Nuts, or Fatties Ronello.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 08:39 AM
who says you need to feed 150? just cook something you want to make and don't worry about how many it will feed. it's gone when it's gone.

what should i make? let's take this thing over, brothers! :twisted:

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Rick, are you seriously coming to this?
Will be cool to meet the king of PRON!

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
yep. it's just over 5 hours away.

their website says "ended" for signing up as a cook, so i reckon i'll have to just watch. :roll:
maybe i'll just tow my trailer up and bring my own eggs and set up across the street!
:biggrin:

Bigdog
09-19-2009, 09:15 AM

their website says "ended" for signing up as a cook, so i reckon i'll have to just watch. :roll:
maybe i'll just tow my trailer up and bring my own eggs and set up across the street!

I'm sure one of the Brothers attending would allow you to cook on theirs.

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM

It's only an hour away for Dann and me, but the web site does say that they have rooms blocked at a couple of local hotels. If you are serious about coming I am pretty sure that they have room for more cooks, but they don't have any more demo Eggs available. I don't think they sold as many as they wanted. I'll PM you the organizer's e-mail address. Send her an e-mail and ask! I didn't contact her until Thursday and she was happy to have another cook. But, you'd either have to bring an Egg or we can see if we can find someone to bring on for you.

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 09:23 AM
It's only an hour away for Dann and me, but the web site does say that they have rooms blocked at a couple of local hotels. If you are serious about coming I am pretty sure that they have room for more cooks, but they don't have any more demo Eggs available. I don't think they sold as many as they wanted. I'll PM you the organizer's e-mail address. Send her an e-mail and ask! I didn't contact her until Thursday and she was happy to have another cook. But, you'd either have to bring an Egg or we can see if we can find someone to bring on for you.

I pm'd Rick her email. As I explained to him, I paid for admission before I decided to cook, so they owe me a refund. If she'll agree to it, my admission can pay his way in, and he can share an egg with me, as my small bites shouldn't take long. I'm bringing a placesetter to keep things indirect (she said they wouldn't be available, except to purchase)
We should be able to figure something out.

Seen too much of that PRON of his not to want to taste something the guy cooks!

BTW, is anyone familiar with this venue? I was thinking of bringing a cambro, and a couple chafing setups to keep stuff hot. Maybe a small collapsible table. With a 4 wheel cart to lug it around. It this on asphalt, concrete, grass????

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Di and I will be cooking also Ron. What time are you guys going? Do you want to meet up on the way somewhere? I know Wilkat said he was interested, but I think he might have had some conflicts.

We're cooking small bites, MOINKS, and other bacon wrapped bits (cherries, marinated water chestnuts, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
The marinated wings sound pretty good! Maybe medallions of marinated tenderloin? Kebabs?

At least it is a Brethren making MOINK Balls! Sounds like I should stay away from anything bacon-wrapped :-D

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry, jumped on it right after Bills PM a couple weeks ago!

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry, jumped on it right after Bills PM a couple weeks ago!

No worries!

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 09:39 AM
i lived in naperville for a year in first grade, so this will be like a home coming! i got my tongue stuck to bee bee elementary :biggrin:

bbqbull
09-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Well..............you folks are very well versed on making pizza on the eggs!
Just thinking out loud here.

Bill-Chicago
09-19-2009, 09:42 AM
BTW, is anyone familiar with this venue? I was thinking of bringing a cambro, and a couple chafing setups to keep stuff hot. Maybe a small collapsible table. With a 4 wheel cart to lug it around. It this on asphalt, concrete, grass????

I am familiar with it.

I was there couple months ago, but passed by again 2 weeks ago.

Its a clearing in a cornfield, depending on which way you come upon it.

The event itself is held in the fields behind the small garden shop.

The pictures from last year show what I mean:
http://eggwegofest.com/eggwegofest-photo-gallery/

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
it looks wet

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Last year was very wet! We had several inches of rain that weekend. I missed the Eggfest because that was the weekend that I slipped on the deck and fell down the stairs.

Dann, Nancy told me that they will have the large tent set up again and the Eggs will be around the perimeter of the tent. They are providing tables for the cooks. I will probably bring a chafing setup that uses the disposable foil pans to keep things hot, but I plan on cooking as needed so I probably won't bring a cambro.

Bill... How level is the ground? Since i am bringing my Egg i am wondering about moving it around in the nest. There should be plenty of help.

Oh yeah, Dann, I will probably get there early. The Lighting Of The Eggs is at 9 so i want to be set up and ready to go by then. I'm thinking about getting there between 7:30 and 8:00.

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah it does! Don't see anyone worrying about chafers or food temps. Guess there's enough folks to gobble it all up quick! Might need to rethink the transport mode! Think I might need something a bit more rugged!:roll:

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 09:59 AM
is there a pre and after party at the hotel ?

Stoke&Smoke
09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Not sure about the after, but there is supposed to be a meet and greet Friday night I think. We'd have gotten a room but it's only an hour away and we can't leave our dogs

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 10:02 AM
There is a meet and greet with Bobby Q on Friday but i don't know if that is by invite only or not. check with Nancy. She aked me if I could make it. I don't know about after.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 10:05 AM
it says byo booze :biggrin:

i'll do rum marinated grilled pineapple and pizzas and bananas foster for dessert. i'll plan on bringing the medium and mini so i don't need to haul the trailer. if i can get a large to cook on up there, that would work! :biggrin:

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
nancy said "stay the weekend" so i guess i'm staying with her. :biggrin:

Bill-Chicago
09-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Ron,
I'm not entirely sure on the ground level.

I believe where it is set up (Nancy's worker pointed "Out there" when showing me) is fairly level. From the pictures, the cars drive (probably) through her gravel lot and slightly down grade to the pasteur.

Just got my ticket.

Look forward to meeting you Rick, as well as seeing Ron and Dann again.

After yesterday's nearly fully edible pizza attempt (write up & pics to follow asking for pointers) I'm looking forward to learning more!

Keeping fingers crossed so there is no issues that conflict for me!!!

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 12:38 PM
she said there's a concert on sunday so it might be a long weekend

ljh34465
09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey, you guys and girls - have a great time and take some pics for those of us who have not been to an Eggfest - sort of like DonMarco does - people shots and food shots. let us enjoy it vicariously:mrgreen:

Beardown
09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I am new to this site but frequent the eggheadforum often and a few of us are coming up as well from the Peoria area. Can't wait.

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I am new to this site but frequent the eggheadforum often and a few of us are coming up as well from the Peoria area. Can't wait.

Cool! I met some guys from the Peoria area last fall at the Chicago Egg event at Carmichael's Steak House. I'll be the big guy cooking on a Large Egg :rolleyes: :biggrin: Oh yeah, I will probably be wearing my Brethren Apron.

Beardown
09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Two of the four at Chicago Steak N' Eggs last fall are coming up so i'm sure we'll meet again. Ever make it down to the Peoria Eggfest?

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Cool! I met some guys from the Peoria area last fall at the Chicago Egg event at Carmichael's Steak House. I'll be the big guy cooking on a Large Egg :rolleyes: :biggrin: Oh yeah, I will probably be wearing my Brethren Apron.

i put my brethren apron and hat in the truck already. save a corner of the tent for all brethren and we'll show em how it's done! 8)

Big George's BBQ
09-19-2009, 08:01 PM
This sounds like it will be a lot of fun Wish it was closer

Ron_L
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Two of the four at Chicago Steak N' Eggs last fall are coming up so i'm sure we'll meet again. Ever make it down to the Peoria Eggfest?

No. Maybe next time.

Ron_L
09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Any one else coming?

I did a test run of Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings yesterday and they were great, so that's what i am going to cook.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-21-2009, 05:01 PM
looks like rain will be coming. :!:
maybe this year they can find a spot that is not the low spot on the property for the set-up! hahaha. judging by the photos, it was a swamp last year.

i got a hotel room at the AmericINN right up the road. anyone know where the friday meet & greet is?

who's giving up their large demo egg for me to make a couple of pizzas on? :biggrin:

also, i'm stopping at the fair oaks cheese place (http://www.fofarms.com/products/cheese.php) on the way up. who wants cheese?

jpouchman
09-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Hey Guys Jeff here, (the guy who did the Steak & Egg's Event last year) trust me when I tell you, the rain last year was so bad, I thought I was in Lake Michigan! Hopefully this year will be better. Ron I got your message, I'll send you a PM later. I am hoping to stop by. Good luck to everyone who is going. Nancy I hope it's a great event. We were there last year & did mini Kabobs, they turned out very tasty!

billm
09-22-2009, 07:42 AM
how long does it run until? got a market until noon could head out to Oswego after depending on when it ends

Ron_L
09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
looks like rain will be coming. :!:
maybe this year they can find a spot that is not the low spot on the property for the set-up! hahaha. judging by the photos, it was a swamp last year.

i got a hotel room at the AmericINN right up the road. anyone know where the friday meet & greet is?

who's giving up their large demo egg for me to make a couple of pizzas on? :biggrin:

also, i'm stopping at the fair oaks cheese place (http://www.fofarms.com/products/cheese.php) on the way up. who wants cheese?

Last year the rain was unbelievable. The scattered showers that they have in the forecast for Saturday are nothing!

Depending on how busy thing get you may be able to sneak a pizza in mine. I'll be cooking indirect at 350 or so, so we'd have to factor in time to get the temp up and then back down again.

Hey Guys Jeff here, (the guy who did the Steak & Egg's Event last year) trust me when I tell you, the rain last year was so bad, I thought I was in Lake Michigan! Hopefully this year will be better. Ron I got your message, I'll send you a PM later. I am hoping to stop by. Good luck to everyone who is going. Nancy I hope it's a great event. We were there last year & did mini Kabobs, they turned out very tasty!

I hope you can stop by, Jeff. Let me know on the other thing as well.

how long does it run until? got a market until noon could head out to Oswego after depending on when it ends

The cooking is scheduled to go until 3, but I am sure there will be folks around after that, and there are rumors about an after party as well.

billm
09-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Last year the rain was unbelievable. The scattered showers that they have in the forecast for Saturday are nothing!

Depending on how busy thing get you may be able to sneak a pizza in mine. I'll be cooking indirect at 350 or so, so we'd have to factor in time to get the temp up and then back down again.

I hope you can stop by, Jeff. Let me know on the other thing as well.

The cooking is scheduled to go until 3, but I am sure there will be folks around after that, and there are rumors about an after party as well.
thanks for the info Ron - I might make it then ..didnt want to show up just as everyone was packing up and leaving
Oswego hmmmm...havent been to Oswego since they closed the dragstrip down :)

Scottie
09-22-2009, 09:39 AM

I'd bring your whole set-up Dann. Should take about 10 hours to pack you all up when you are done...

It's a eggfest. Show up with a cooler and cook on their eggs. I don't think you need the kitchen sink on this one Dann.....

Ron_L
09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I'd bring your whole set-up Dann. Should take about 10 hours to pack you all up when you are done...

It's a eggfest. Show up with a cooler and cook on their eggs. I don't think you need the kitchen sink on this one Dann.....

:biggrin: :-D :-P :rolleyes:

J Appledog
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I wish we were going. I love Nancy!

Stoke&Smoke
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

:roll: Not figuring on bringing much Scottie. Just a cooler with food, tongs a plate setter and a pizza screen to keep smaller stuff from falling through the grate!

Ron, We're going to try and get there early also, I want to be there for the lighting as well

Rick, I don't think our stuff will take more than a couple of hours to cook, you're welcome to do pizzas on ours if you like

Parsley Lady
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
i put my brethren apron and hat in the truck already. save a corner of the tent for all brethren and we'll show em how it's done! 8)

Ron's planning the same look as you. Hows anybody gonna know who is who?:wink:

Stoke&Smoke
09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Don't have a Brethren hat yet:confused:

Guess I'll settle for the USBDT hat instead! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Divemaster
09-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Not sure if I'm going to make this one... I finally got the OK to go to KC for both the race and AR so I need to do some cooking this weekend... If I can get it done Friday night I'll stop by... I'm assuming that I can get a ticket on site....

Bill-Chicago
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I might wear my original Brethren apron, one of only 5 that exist in the world!

Not to cook with, but just to wear around like I do at home.

It's a cool look.

Scottie
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I might wear my original Brethren apron, one of only 5 that exist in the world!

Not to cook with, but just to wear around like I do at home.

It's a cool look.

But wait... At home you don't wear anything else... At least that's what I've been told... So maybe wear just a thong?

:roll:

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ron's planning the same look as you. Hows anybody gonna know who is who?:wink:

that is all i'm wearing. i'll be the one that looks like santa gone bad! :twisted:

what? no one wants cheese?

Theboz1419
09-22-2009, 07:13 PM
This is not to far from me, I might have to take a trip there this weekend

Ron_L
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
But wait... At home you don't wear anything else... At least that's what I've been told... So maybe wear just a thong?

:roll:

I've got that look nailed :eek: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5691&stc=1&d=1170802240

Ron_L
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
This is not to far from me, I might have to take a trip there this weekend

Come on down! We'd love to meet you!

Ron_L
09-22-2009, 09:28 PM
what? no one wants cheese?

If you're serious I'd love to try some. Here is what I saw on the web site that interests me...

2 year Cheddar (a chunk about 1 lb would be great)
Aged gouda (1 lb-ish again)

Anyrhing special that they have that you recommend?

trucky9754
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Ron, I was actually thinking about going to the event myself. I don't have a BGE but have been trying to get the wife to let me get one for sometime now. I have the weekend off so I might show up. I even got the plans to make my own table for my up and coming BGE. I figured if I had the table, I could tell the wife, look nice table but no BGE and maybe she would let me get one. Maybe I will see you there.

Trucky9754

cooking on
CS009
FEC100
Weber Gasser

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-23-2009, 05:59 AM
If you're serious I'd love to try some. Here is what I saw on the web site that interests me...

2 year Cheddar (a chunk about 1 lb would be great)
Aged gouda (1 lb-ish again)

Anyrhing special that they have that you recommend?

yep, i'm serious. i've never been there, so i'm flying blind. :biggrin:
cheddar & gouda coming right up, sir

Stoke&Smoke
09-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Just got this email - regarding the meet and greet. I know we won't be there till Saturday, but for those interested.....

Hello fellow EGGHeads!

I just want to make sure that you know about the meet & greet for EggwegoFest! BobbyQ from Atlanta will be here to give us a little class and show us how to prepare a fabulous chicken dish which we will then devour!

Let's meet in the tent at 5:30! (behind Floribunda Gardens, 2093 Collins Road, Oswego) I'll have beer, wine, pop and water - anything else please BYOB

Please let me know if you will be here and if you have any questions or concerns.

Can't wait to see you all!!!
Nancy

Scottie
09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
That's funny.... I guess now I realize why I wear baggy shorts....

I've got that look nailed :eek: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5691&stc=1&d=1170802240

Bill-Chicago
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Just got this email - regarding the meet and greet. I know we won't be there till Saturday, but for those interested.....

Hello fellow EGGHeads!

I just want to make sure that you know about the meet & greet for EggwegoFest! BobbyQ from Atlanta will be here to give us a little class and show us how to prepare a fabulous chicken dish which we will then devour!

Let's meet in the tent at 5:30! (behind Floribunda Gardens, 2093 Collins Road, Oswego) I'll have beer, wine, pop and water - anything else please BYOB

Please let me know if you will be here and if you have any questions or concerns.

Can't wait to see you all!!!
Nancy

Wonder if its for cooks only, as I didnt get that email :wink:

Ron_L
09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I didn't get it either, but nancy asked me if i could come when i asked if she needed more cooks.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
i got that email yesterday and it was only addressed to 23 people.

i'd say crash it. you can be my date. :biggrin:

Bill-Chicago
09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I didn't get it either, but nancy asked me if i could come when i asked if she needed more cooks.

I certainly don;t mind

Its Homecoming weekend, so my dance card is pretty full as it is.

Just hope the rains hold off. Bonfire/Carnival Friday night at the military academy

Ron_L
09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Its Homecoming weekend, so my dance card is pretty full as it is.

What color is your dress? :rolleyes:

Bill-Chicago
09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
What color is your dress? :rolleyes:

Mauve