PDA

View Full Version : Life after bash.

BBQchef33
09-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Hi all.
Its Wednesday. 12PM. The first signs of life from my brain(and bowels) came this morning. I've been completely wiped since Monday. Monday dinner... Salad and Onion soup, dinner last night, tomato salad, some mozzerella cheese, roasted pepeprs... managed to handle a few pieces of Bacon crumbled on it. Personally, I didnt think the sight of anything that ever had a blood vessel in it was on my agenda this week. But the family is urging for some more brisket since there was very little left from the weekend. So I may be able to venture putting one into the WSM tonight. The past 2 days were spent working on the site, catching up on emails, and getting some new memebers up and running.

First off guys, Thanks to everyone for travling to NY to make Bash II the blast it was. I again had a time to remember. The most obvious and important thing about both bashes... the feeling of family. Everyone seemed to be at ease form arrival. Several members described it as extended family. Friends of mine that were here were amazed that alot of us never met before that day. They thought we were a group of old friends getting together. I thank again, everyone for traveling to make these gatherings what they are,a nd hope we can continue a newly established tradition nationwide.

I cant figure out proper english just yet, so I'll list some post bash observations.

Bash II, was slighty more subdued than Bash 1, most likely because there were more of us floating around the yard doing different things. Bash I had 6 of as the table hanging together. Even neighbors commented how "quiet" it was. But damn, stereo was going 20 hours each day.

My kids got $18.90 back from returning the beer bottle. 5 cent deposits. u do the math.(15.75 cases). Theres about a case left in the cooler and half a bottle of Cabo.(Thank you Harry :) ). I bought 14 - 2 liter bottles of soda. There are 11 left, some are opened, but most untouched. But we did finish up 2 cases of water and a case of iced tea. guess its just Al-Ko-Holler that we need for bashes, and water for hydration. :)

Rough estimate of what we cooked: 4 Briskets (#11-#14), #15 pork butts. 4 roaster chickens on a spit, 12 racks of babybacks. 10# japs/turds 4# sweet turds. 8 lbs bacon 4# ham, 2(or 3?) dozen eggs. A big ass pot of chile with 10 lbs of london broil and 10 lbs of chopped beef in it, a 12# Pork loin, Grilled pineapples for dessert. A load of sausages(gary, u know that one), thats what I rmember. Believe it or not, this was less than we cooked at Bash I. My fridge has in it, a salmon, 5 dozen clams, shell of beef, 3 briskets, and a bunch of sausage & brats.

i shoveled about 2 gallons of sludge out of the close. Havent even opened the Bandera since Sunday. Is there anything in there??? hope someone took out that last brisket. :)

In my house is, a pair of mens shoes we discovered in the living room, and a denture cup in the bathroom. Any takers? :)

Neil's the baby of the group, and he learned that us old farts can drink. He also sleeps with a blankie, but doesnt like the Cabo-Binkie we gave him.

Rays a ho, he sleeps with anything. He hung out all night with "Drink with me Elmo and now Patrick is jealous." :)

Brian is the king of the syllable.
"Noooooooooooooo"
"Trail-errrrrrr".

Again guys. Thanks for everything..!!!!!

Start thinkin.

Winter bash. Vegas? Left Coast?
Spring bash. Parrothead?
Summer Bash. Here, last week in June 04.

Oldtimer
09-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Well when I got home and unloaded my **** realized my cup was in NY so I did the manly thing and put them in a glass for the wife to wake up to on Monday morning. Needless to say had a new one that afternoon. :D

"What the hell is a shell of beef ? Dont have that kind of **** in Texas. "

gary
09-24-2003, 01:55 PM
I'll claim the shoes, left them under the coffee table
Gary

Bill-Chicago
09-24-2003, 02:04 PM
NY Strip Steak

Phil, Phil, Phil. The Cabo has clouded your memory. We cooked a hell of alot this time too, cuz you forgot some things.

First off, it was 2 big ass pork buts, not just 1. Then, you forgot my only contribution, the 8# pork loin :( Let's not overlook that grilled pineapple, which will become a staple at our house, once you post the recipe in the recipe section (was it Christian Brothers?). I have this strange recollection of there also being a pot of chili there. Hello! You forgot your farking salsa chilli above. What did that have in there, about 15 pounds of steak, and another 6 pounds of room temperature ground beef.

This Bash was also about sauce. We were putting sauce on stuff from all over the US. It was great.

And last time, you might have cooked more, but you gave away alot of cooked food last time (are you forgetting Heiman Gary and the other Phil). Fill up, then take a plate for the wife. Then no ice cream man, so there was probably less mouths there, in total, this weekend.

And don't ignore the Ray effect. Had he been there Friday, that would have been another Day and a Half for the Fiddler. Now Josh tried to make up for it by bringing his dad in law, but you can't replace Josh as easy as that. It was 2 days of power cooking/eating with him there last Fri and Sat.

And we also ate a bomb or two last time, and that was it. Nothing to fill up on cept more meat. This time, fark there were turds everywhere. And people had bowl after bowl of chili. Last time, it was just about gone early Sat, as compared to having a ****load this whole weekend.

I think the #'s were a little more comparable than what you remember. I think more might have been eaten this time (in the yard) than last time, but less might have been cooked.

A great time Phil, and thanks for the memories.

Oldtimer
09-24-2003, 02:20 PM
I'll claim the shoes, left them under the coffee table
Gary

You going to claim them scorch marks on the new terlett to ?

Bill-Chicago
09-24-2003, 02:35 PM
And people "opened" the sides this time, unlike last.

I actually saw slaw and bread being used on the pulled pork.

What the fark was that :)

Useless carbs

Bill-Chicago
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
"More subdued than Bash 1"

Well hello! Someone decided to check out for a couple hours and negotiate with a farking car dealer for the best deal. Took the whole table with him.

I got up and walked away. I was there to relax, not talk numbers (thats too much like work) Sharon seemed pissed "You got up and walked away". Sorry Sharon.

At Bash 3, I'll bring a lawyer and we can all make out wills. That should liven things up.

LMAO

BBQchef33
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I told ya... my brain just started to kick on today..... i updated the cooking list. I didnt hang with the car dealer... i think Neil did more talkin. Sharon is the Arab, i dont negotiate. Dont bother bring a lawyer, sharon can draw up your will while shes drinkin. But I did check out on the hammock for an hour or so. has anyone seen my eyebrows? They seem to be missing. :)

All I remember is bash 1 I had cramps in my ribs, and face for 2 days from all the laughing. This one was conversation, crack ups, marathon cooking.. and roaming around.... i always saw groups of us off doing **** together. till around 8PM when we sit down and start doing shots and serious drinkin. The whole damn yard got used, last one, we sat at the table never leaving arms reach of the coolers.

nthole
09-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Wow, just reading this stuff is bringing up memories like they were from last summer!

Brian wears dentures?!?! I think I drank from that cup.

For those out there that aren't on Geritol...never underestimate the drinking power of the Senior Citizens of this country! AARP is really just a license to drink. :D

[editted to add...uh Harry...here's looking at you kid :wink: ]

Bash II did seem subdued. I kind liked that feeling. Just a cookin' and a drinkin' and once Ray showed up some pickin'. I tell you next time I'm definitely not waiting till Saturday to show up. There were plenty of party moments though.

I came home and really still haven't hit the meat yet. Got another football party this weekend though. Gonna do some ribs and surprise them with some hot jalapeno jelly I found at a local store. After talking with I think David and Gary I think I'm going to break out the fryer and try doing some wings in a tall pot and short oil.

Got my pictures back last night (I'll try and get them uploaded tonite I swear). My wife looked at them and looked at me and asked how awkard it must have been hanging out with a bunch of guys old enough to be my father. I just stared at her and remarked how even the oldest one's of the group seemed a lot more like brothers to me than fathers. I think after about 5 seconds you could throw out any age difference in the group. By the end I don't think in describing this adventure the word "age" would even exit my mouth. By my descriptions people thought I went to a frat party.

Oh...and I guess I can claim the scortch marks on the toilet. But really, who among us there couldn't?

SoCalCraigster
09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Im getting my backyard ready for SoCal Bash (Summer 2004). How do I get the sponsorship? Is it like the Olympics? Do I have to bribe someone with a brisket?

I think we should all try to make Vegas in November and see what our competition is up to.

Check out my new grill and islands

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album09&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3

chad
09-24-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm back to eating meat and planning the pork loin and some chicken for the weekend. Got pork loin for 100 + next weekend -- unfortunately will have to do it in the oven since I don't have a smoker BIG ENOUGH for that much meat -- gonna do backed winter squash and a couple of other seaonal things.

The Bash was outstanding -- I'll probably only be able to make one a year (unless us FL or southeasters put something together) so I'm tenatively marking June 2004 on the calendar.

I was trying to explain the feeling of the Bash and the closest I came was a class reunion -- you think you remember somebody and then you catch up -- we've "known" each other for a while and have a common interest in and love of good 'que -- so we finally got some names and faces hooked up and started to see the personalities behind the web personna. I had an absolutely great time.

Craig: I hate you too!! Man that grill area and grill is looking great :D I just started cutting shrubs out of the beds in the area I'm planning my outdoor kitchen -- it'll probably take a year to get it done but someday......

Oldtimer
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Shrub Mod

Bill-Chicago
09-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Outdoor Kitchen Mod.

parrothead
09-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Spring bash. Parrothead?

Just say the word, and me cabo su cabo. I'm sure a lot of people can't make a mess of bashes throughout the year, but I have noticed that their are a lot more people from the middle coast here (Mississippi river region) than I had originally thought, and would probably be a decent turn out.

Only problem is, I don't think we have Scheaffers here. We would have to have the St. Louis guys bring up some "dirt cheap" (yes that is the actual name brand of the beer).

Bill-Chicago
09-25-2003, 09:01 AM
But we got plenty of Old Style.

Old Style makes Schaeffer look like Champagne (and let's not forget Champale in Southern IL)

And Strohs, spelled backwards, is Shorts, which is where that "****" ends up.

Mark
09-25-2003, 10:57 AM
I truly like Old Style. After you open it, the taste doesn't start to really suck for up to 5 whole minutes (the mark of a premium American mass produced beer). But then not finishing a beer within 5 minutes could be deemed alcohol abuse. Strohls is pretty good to; plus, as Bill can attest to, it keeps you regular.

BTW: I went to the member database & sorted by location. There's 7 of us from around St. Louis (if you count Arnold MO) but only Greg & Bill representing all of Chicagoland. What's up with that?

parrothead
09-25-2003, 01:25 PM
BTW: I went to the member database & sorted by location. There's 7 of us from around St. Louis (if you count Arnold MO) but only Greg & Bill representing all of Chicagoland. What's up with that?

7? damn I only met 3 of ya so far. Gonna have to change that.

I have a friend near me that joined-probably did not put up location info. Have another cooking buddy joining soon also.

Don't forget the Wisconsin guys, ya hey der. I'll bet all told we probably have a dozen or so.

Bill-Chicago
09-25-2003, 02:20 PM
... but only Greg & Bill representing all of Chicagoland. What's up with that?

I got a couple guys here too. My problem is my smoking converts are either VP banker types, that don't get on the internet much, or folks from the city that can't afford the internet access.

So some of my brothers here live vicariously through me in the group and ask me all the time how things are going and anything new with you all.

Besides, St. Louis better have more Q'ers, you got a rib style named after you for pete's sake.

Chicago is Deep Dish Pizza, and you can't Q that!

Mark
09-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Bull**** you cant Q pizza!

stlmike
09-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Wild Bill,
I'll have to disagree as well. If you read the Backwoods Forum, you will see where pizza can be "BBQed"
StL Mike

Bill-Chicago
09-25-2003, 03:17 PM
I mis-typed.

Of course you can Q pizza, but not Deep Dish Chicago style pizza.

My friend has a BBQ pizza rig that he sets up everyweek at a farmers market.

So yes, I know you can do the flat stuff, but I'm not sure about a Chicago Pan style.

Maybe, I just never heard of it, but everyone heard of St Louis ribs.

Mark
09-25-2003, 03:25 PM
My "Weber on steroids" will do 450 deg. F. Would that do Chicago Pan style?

cabo
09-25-2003, 06:52 PM
"For those out there that aren't on Geritol...never underestimate the drinking power of the Senior Citizens of this country! AARP is really just a license to drink.

[editted to add...uh Harry...here's looking at you kid ]"

And your point being???? :shock: We've just had a lot more practice to get it right! 8)
If you haven't tried Geritol, don't knock it. It has a hell of a kick and tastes worse than Tequila..........I've heard. :roll:
Harry

cabo
09-25-2003, 07:12 PM

7? damn I only met 3 of ya so far. Gonna have to change that.

I have a friend near me that joined-probably did not put up location info. Have another cooking buddy joining soon also.

Don't forget the Wisconsin guys, ya hey der. I'll bet all told we probably have a dozen or so.

Holy Hayzus, Whine Whine, Whine, :(
Here I am from a state that's at least as big as L.A. and I'm only one member. :? Well, there seems to be one other, from a town north of me called Anderson S.C. I think he's probably lurking. Can't blame you Bud! :) These folks are about as crazy as a **** house rat, but they know Q, and I'm here to tell you. You have never partied with a better bunch.... :lol:
Harry S.C.

Heath
09-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Here, here, Harry. 18 years in the Charleston, SC area, family from Statesville, NC. I' know I've tasted some of the best Q in the world. Also have to agree with the crazy party animal nomer there. But some of the best people in the world too.